Mount Elbert East Ridge Trail

Mount Elbert East Ridge Trail is a 11.7 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Twin Lakes, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is best used from June until September.

The highest peak in Colorado. The east ridge can be accessed from Leadville CO. Beautiful views from the summit. Cold in May. If one wants to climb a CO 14 thousand foot mountain and be at CO highest peak, Mt Elbert is it. The East Ridge is the easiest route from the others routes. This route is classified as a Class 1 route. Beautiful views of Twin Lakes and other mountains at the top. Ensure to get the weather conditions prior to going. If one is not experienced in hiking CO 14,000 foot mountains, I recommend only attempting this in July or August because of the weather conditions.

Very beautiful trail with gorgeous wild flowers along the way, a lot of switch backs and several false summit, but overall a nice graduate incline. First 2 14ers ever in 2 consecutive days to celebrate my 1 month of moving to Colorado!

So this is listed as one of the "easiest" 14ers.. be forewarned, this trail is nothing but easy. I thought that Quandary and Bierdstadt were way easier then this. I think they listed it as easy because the trail is easy to follow and there's no scrambling or bouldering. The elevation gain and amount of time you need it what will get you. This took us 12.5 hours and it was our first 14-er. We were lucky that there wasn't a chance of rain or storms at all, otherwise we wouldn't have made it. We started at 6am at the trailhead. Very tough hike.

Mixed feelings on this one. For a non hiker it is a total butt kicker. If you have been hiking it may not be as tough but man it goes straight up in places and that made me not like it as much as I wanted to. Bottom line: train before committing to this beast.

Friday, August 21, 2015

Saturday, August 15, 2015

Friday, April 24, 2015

Great camping and hiking with a great group of friends. Long day of hiking, but that made the campfire all the better!

Monday, December 29, 2014

Great trail! WIfe and I hit this on 4th of July weekend 2013 and made a day of it! Can't wait to run this trail again. The experience and views are beyond words!

Friday, August 29, 2014

9 hr RT hike for us but all 4 of us made the summit. Amazing views for sure....definitely want to pace yourself on the way up especially if your not in great shape like me. For a novice hiker the hike up was not as bad as I expected. ..it was the walk down that really did a number on my knees and feet. With that being said if you do not have great knees, I would def think twice about doing this hike or take extra precautions. ...I was sore for a whole week...lol

Saturday, June 21, 2014

If your looking for an epic hiking experience as well as a mental and physical challenge, then hiking Mount Elbert (East Ridge Trail) is definitely for you. I (moderate shape) hiked this trail with my older sister (in great physical shape), and my father who just turned 60yo (moderate shape). We traveled with a guide up the mountain, which was the best decision we could’ve made as the trail above the tree line had many snow fields that we either walked through or around. It took us longer than expected to get to the top, as we were still becoming acclimated to the elevation. Beware, it was very cold at the top this time of year. We had wind chills that were about 20 degrees and the weather rolled in as we were walking down (we walked through grapple, snow, and rain). However, the views above the tree line were incredible and the experience to the top was unforgettable. There’s no better feeling than conquering the highest mountain in Colorado and testing your limits. I highly recommend this hike for an experienced hiker and if your not so experienced like myself then take someone who is with you! Go in the summer months and wear/pack layers.

Saturday, February 01, 2014

This is one of the easiest trails out of the 8 Colorado 14,000 (14ers) foot mountains that I've climbed. I climbed from the East Ridge on Memorial Weekend 2013 and there was still plenty of snow along the trail. In the treeline, I did not have to posthole, but above the treeline, there were areas that I did have to posthole. Once at the top of the summit, there were about 8 others that climbed from different routes. I've climbed this mountain from the North Ridge as well. There was plenty of snow that I slid down the mountain in some areas with my snow pants. I recommend gators if you're climbing before June.

Sunday, August 12, 2012