Learn more

Mount Columbia via Horn Fork Basin Trail

hardYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(35)
Mount Massive Wilderness

Mount Columbia via Horn Fork Basin Trail is a 10.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Buena Vista, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 10.6 miles Elevation Gain: 4,146 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Please note that partial trail closures have been reported for this trail as of 06/22/2020.

Awesome job by the trail workers! Their work has made this trail a pretty easy stroll. Recommend this as a first if you’ve never climbed a 14teener. As I say that, I didn’t make the peak...quarter mile shy. The silly 60mph wind gusts that blew my lanky ass over, the whiteout snow, my camelback freezing and zero visibility that all came in a rush of about 15 min, sent me back downhill. Mind you this was a 4am start and I could see that adorable peak by 630am and then poof! It was gone! Oh well, it made for a super day. Now to get a dog to join in the fun

they are doing trail maintenance on parts of the trail. the left hand route alltrails shows (the left hand part of the loop on the map) is closed. stay on the main trail and it’s extremely nice the trail is restored nicely.

Went yesterday and it’s full summer conditions, all snow is off trail and avoidable. It’s more like 11.5 miles on this route via the excellent new trail built by CFI. Very brief scramble before the summit block. All in all an ‘easier’ 14er.

Great hike today! This was my first hike in this area. I had planned on knocking out Harvard and Columbia but did not get enough sleep to do it safely. The trail was great in the morning and I didn't need snowshoes until about 2.5 miles in. I reached a couple hundred feet from Columbia Summit but the wind was constant and a few gusts about blew me over. Since I was hiking alone I decided to turn back. On the trail back the snow was super soft and I was really thankful I had my snowshoes.

Still alot of snow in the first half. When the sun comes out we were post holing even with snow shoes. A couple more weeks and it should be good

Start of the trail is deceiving, bring snowshoes and get an early start.

Don't go up or down the scree, which is a hot mess. The CFI crew has done an exceptional job on the new trail so far! Very close to completion.

4AM start from trailhead today. Ascent route not great so just decended down scree west of the peak, a bit to the south. Beautiful day.

Sat Aug 04 2018

Backpacked in a few miles Thursday night and woke up at 330 Friday to hike Mt. Columbia. The trail is being worked on and I wouldn't recommend using this route until the new trail is finished. Hiking up and down the gulley at the bottom of the mountain was definitely dangerous and very slippery, steep and filled with loose rocks and dirt. The summit was beautiful and the views were amazing!