Mount Chiquita via Chapin Pass Trail

Mount Chiquita via Chapin Pass Trail is a 5 mile out and back trail located near Estes Park, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and trail running and is accessible year-round.

From Estes Park take Fall River Road into Rocky Mountain National Park. Go 2 miles past the Fall River Road entrance to the park and turn right onto Old Fall River Road. This is a one way dirt road, passable by any car. Take this road for an additional 7.8 miles to the Chapin Pass Trailhead. This is where your hike begins.

9/22/18 - Wonderful views everywhere! Most of hike is above tree line. Trail somewhat marked mixed with trail searching/finding.

I loved this trail. I Had my kids with me and they thought it was great.

Great hike but had some steep sections that takes the wind out of you. Walking across the rock fields was a lot of fun. Great views from the top.

Epic trail but the last climb to the summit is no joke. I'd rate as strenuous. Leave early and bring plenty of protein and water.

I love hiking but am not in shape for it. I managed to get to 12960 elevation with .2 miles left and I almost vomited because of the elevation and exertion. All my electronics died because of the cold (it was cold enough to barely see my breath at the top) and I ran out of sun and had to run down the mountain. The first 1.5 miles is a 1000 elevation gain and the last mile
Is 1000 straight up without many switchbacks. I loved every minute of this hike even though I was wrecked that night. Views are beautiful. Around dusk when I was headed to my car I saw a ton of elk and deer.

Attempted this hike last Friday (8/24). Arrived at trailhead around 6:30 with no problems finding parking. For 2 Midwesterners, we had little difficulty with the terrain, elevation, and scrambling along the trail however, not fully prepared with enough layers to combat the 30 something degree temp and atleast 40 mph winds coming up between Chapin and Chiquita. We reached the saddle between the two and turned back as we didn’t feel very safe continuing on with the gear we had. Beautiful views though and plenty of mule deer early on in the trail. Will definitely return again to complete.

Did this hike with my wife in a sleet storm. Fairly easy hike for most of the way until you turn up Mount Chiquita. Cold and exposed! Beautiful though........

A tough climb but so worth it! The air towards the top is pretty thin if you're sensitive to that. There's a bit of a scramble across rocks before you reach the saddle. If you want to avoid that, you can take the low road which branches to the left at the sign that says "all peaks this way (to the right)". That trail steepens drastically at the end though before rejoining the main trail. The climb up Chiquita is no joke! It's something like a 45% grade the whole way from the saddle but worth it. Would do again and budget more time (and food) for all three peaks. Saw huge herd of elk, several deer, and tons of pika and marmots.

We were coming from Grand Lakes, so we decided to park at the Alpine visitor center and walked down along Old Fall River Rd to the Chapin Creek trail head (2.1 miles away). This was only 40 min drive to Alpine center instead of 2 hr drive to trail head via Old Fall River Road. This trail head would be easier to get to from Estes park.
The trail was beautiful. Got above tree line quickly. Then narrow rocky path along slope of mountain. We missed the trail junction turn up to Mt Chapin (turns out there is a small cairn but no trail sign) and we ended straight up Mt Chiquita which was a very difficult 1000 ft climb in the last mile requiring multiple stops. It got very windy and exposed too. The summit is very rocky (RMNP) but easily traversed. Took us 3 hrs to get up there. Coming down was easier but we got caught in light rain initially, which then turned into heavy hail storm in the last 1/2 mile as we were walking back up to the Alpine center. Should have hitched hike then.

We completed this trail today. The views are gorgeous most of the way. Loved it. You must go up the one-way Old Falls River Rd to get to the trailhead, part of which is beside a steep dropoff with no protection. Parking is limited on the road which is already narrow. You miss a parking spot, it isn't like you can turn around! My GPS registered a ways farther than 5 miles round trip, but maybe I was taking smaller steps...? It got a little strenuous on the last stretch with the incline. Many places you must be able to navigate over various-sized rocks, some of which aren't fixed into place. Bring plenty of water and extra layers as the wind was strong and chilly nearing the top. We noted elk, marmot, and pikas on this trail. There was a marmot at the top who obviously has been fed by people. Don't do it. I saw too many folks starting out too late and/or with little or no visible water. You don't want to be on this hike when bad weather moves in - lots of exposure. Start early and be done by 1pm.

Amazing views, very windy at the higher areas, we started early around 5:15am to get up the long road and get parking.

beautiful hike, and great views above treeline almost the entire way. We went to Ypsilon after Chiquita, which wasn't much longer, but the trail is almost nonexistent which made it a little tough. The views from the top of both are pretty since they're both 13ers, but Chiquita is a little flat on top which lessens the 360 views.

When leaving, the one way road makes you drive all the way up to the scenic highway and then all around the park to get out. There was traffic on a Monday afternoon and it took us an hour to get out of the park.

Beautiful views of all of RMNP. The trail is well maintained. Lots of wild life—I saw a ptarmigan family above the boulder field.

Not too crowded and views are beautiful! It’s a climb at the beginning and the end but well worth it. Marmots and Pikas everywhere, so cute! It is summer so just be aware there may be some traffic and excited folks who are seeing wildlife their first time.

Wednesday, September 27, 2017

Great hike views are wonderful
Worth the work to get to the top
Winds get pretty strong on top so be
Prepared

Monday, August 28, 2017

Great trail with exceptional views and lots of wildlife. We saw elk and lots of marmots.

Sunday, August 13, 2017

Nice hike, there are two ways to go up the high hike across mount chapin, or valley hike up. We took the high way up and the valley hike down, no marked signs just follow the path. It was very windy and cold but was worth it, beautiful.

Thursday, September 08, 2016

Awesome!

Thursday, August 25, 2016

Great easy hike with amazing views

Sunday, July 28, 2013

I also would not agree with "easy" but the views are spectacular! The beginning and end are pretty rough but the majority of the trail is not too bad, if you have gotten used to the altitude. Start early and continue on to Ypsilon.

Tuesday, August 07, 2012

I would not agree with the description of "easy" but it certainly is beautiful! It has a 2400 ft elevation gain, lots of boulder hopping, and following cairns to find the trail. There is a register on top - proof you tackled this 13er. The views are gorgeous but watch out for quick moving afternoon storms .

recorded CC and Y