Mount Bross

Mount Bross is a 3.2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Fairplay, Colorado that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and backpacking and is best used from June until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 3.2 miles Elevation Gain: 2,132 feet Route Type: Out & Back

fee

This trailhead closes due to snow. Please check with Pike National Forest before visiting. $12 to camp and $3 to park. The trail is steep. Park, cross the stream, and climb the mountain. The peak of Mount Bross is private property.

be well prepared for bross just keeps going up. beautiful views. weather was great only did 3 of the 4 Sunday

private property

Marked Illegal as of Sept 2019: Good reason as well because rockslides are likely to start tripping off on this trail. Not worth your life. If you really want to do it, I do not recommend coming down from Bross.

private property

Appeared to be closed at the trailhead, so I took the path to Democrat first, however was able to end at the peak of Bross post Cameron and Lincoln summits. I back tracked to the saddle between Cameron and Democrat for the decent to respect the owner.

A group of friends and I did this trail July 27 2019 and decided to start counter clockwise. This was one of the hardest trails/hikes I've done but the views were totally worth it. I wouldn't recommend coming down Mt. Bross though because it is really steep. Also, the wind can be pretty brutal once you are on top or if you decided to go across the ridge to Mt. Cameron or Mt. Lincoln. It took us 2 hours to summit.

Ascended Bross from Kite lake to avoid crowds and avoid the scree coming down. Much easier and more enjoyable. Took less than two hours to summit.

Great hike. Did this on 7 - 6 - 19. Democrat still has quite a bit of snow just before the final push to summit making it difficult - trudge through snow or scramble up steep rock. snow was better. on the way down, I ended up sliding down the snow on my butt which made for a really fun slide. The other three are clear of snow. Great way to knock out for four 14ers at once! As far as 14ers ago, I felt it was a moderate hike. Lincoln had the best views by far. Completed in less than 6 hours with about 10 to 15 minute breaks at each summit. Parking to the trailhead is open! Don't forget to bring $3.

great hike today, 7/5/19. started with Democrat, ended with Bross. occasional patches of snow, which are passable with poles and boots. Democrat has lots of snow fields (traction recommended), but you can avoid them via the rocky ridge to the right of trail.

Friday, August 10, 2018

Took us about 4 hours round trip. The trail is steep - it is pretty much park, cross the stream, and climb the mountain. The views at the top are very good, not great. We only did Bross, did not do the loop.

Thursday, September 08, 2016

I came down this trail after hitting the four 14er peaks, it was scramble and rocky, definitely not easy. $12 to camp and $3 to park, go explore here for a weekend if you don't live close by.

Friday, April 08, 2016

Kite Lake is a awesome place to hang out for the day, or do some great hiking. Lake Emma is a wonderful place to hike to also. The trail not very noticeable but if you can find it I recommend it. Yes the road is kinda ripped up. Some people reviewing it might be exaggerating on how bad it is. 2 ft is a little over board yes it is ripped. I have a stock Nissan Xterra and it has no problem even in 2 wheel. I see cars up at the top. Granted they have no care in the world for there car at that point but they make it. I have camped on the base of the trail head with minimal wind. Its all about the time of the year you go. The wind I did experience was not bad, but I parked my vehicle in front of my tent and it solved all my problems. There are other great camping spots around the area with no wind if you like the wooded areas.

Tuesday, October 13, 2015

I don't think I've ever camped in such horrible wind. Thought our tent was going to up stake and fly away with us in it. I literally didn't sleep at all. We went in mid October so I'm not sure if the wind situation is better earlier in the year but the bathrooms and signs do say it's a high wind area. I will never camp here again. It's also $3 to park a car and another $12 to stay overnight (although I didn't see anyone checking). If you don't have a few feet of clearance for you vehicle you will not be able to make it all the way to the campground. The last bit of road after the switchback is swiss-cheese with each hole being around 1.5-2 feet deep. A lot of cars parked on the side of the road before this part and walked the rest of the way. It is beautiful in the early morning when the sun is rising. But I can't recommend camping to anyone. Just drive up the morning before your hike.

Thursday, April 03, 2014

A nice place to picnic,see wildflowers, and take a hike to Emma Lake. Most everyone uses the campground for the 14er's in the area.

Saturday, October 05, 2013

Not a bad campground to base out of - parking lot always a bit crowded during the day, even weekdays, but really empties out as everyone finishes up the 14ers. I was there in August and they were just finishing up re-building the toilets on site. Amazing stars at night if you can camp at 12,000+ and sleep - not everyone can at that altitude. Several trails that go out from Kite Lake and of course if your up for some scrambling you can knock out Mt Democrat in the morning. Star and end the day down in Alma at the café/coffee shop.

Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Kite Lake is a small campground at the end of a long, bumpy dirt road, in a bowl of 14ers right beside Kite Lake. Which is, of course, shaped like a kite. It costs $3 to park in the lot here then $10 to camp each night. This is a popular trailhead for 14ers Lincoln, Democrat, Bross and Cameron. There are approximately 10 campsites without underbrush, but located pretty widely apart. There is a pit toilet. There are no other facilities except for amazing views, wilderness, wildflowers, a lake, and trails for miles just feet from your campsite. If the campground is full, there is camping along the road in the national forest, there must be a fire ring in place to camp.