Mount Bierstadt Trail

Mount Bierstadt Trail is a 6.8 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Silver Plume, Colorado that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and snowboarding and is best used from June until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 6.8 miles Elevation Gain: 2,719 feet Route Type: Out & Back

The trail is almost entirely in the Mount Evans Wilderness. No mountain bikes are allowed in the Wilderness. Stay on the trail to avoid trampling the vegetation. Although dogs are allowed to use this trail, some users have reported that the rocks and scrambling can be very difficult for them to traverse.

1 hour ago

There are tons of people on this hike! I was surprised this is a common beginners 14er because it was a bit harder than I expected, still very good though. There are a lot of people and a lot of dogs on this hike, so if you decide to bring your dog make sure they are people&dog friendly. The last scramble to the top was a bit difficult, especially for a dog.

She cold in october

woowww this is no joke. First 14er after having lived in the Denver areas for 2 months and doing some smaller hikes first. Definitely not an easy feat. I felt acclimated and just tired from a good long hike, my boy friend was visiting and definitely felt the elevation, but everyone seemed to be taking it slow and resting along the way, so there was no pressure to rush. With that being said, make sure you leave yourself plenty of time to summit if that's your goal. The last 2 miles and the scramble up to the actually peak are tough, give yourself time to rest. We saw plenty of people still hiking up as we descended and thought they probably wouldn't have time to finish. Would recommend starting before 10 at the latest. It was extremely windy and chilly, especially at the top, so if you're questioning that extra layer, bring it, and gloves and face protector. Absolutely gorgeous views and incredible scenery, couldn't believe we were up so high

Two days after the snow storm, the trail had snow for about half the route. Not enough snow depth for microspikes, but enough to slow you down a bit. Wind was supposed to be strong in the morning and calm down going into the afternoon, it ended up being the opposite, but the wind was only strong above 13K. Important day to layer.

Had to get a 14er in before the snow! Only my second one but wow everything you can hope for in a hike. Scenic from the time you get to Guanella Pass and drive up to the time you hike to the summit. Forgot how incredible it is atop the world! Worth every minute of about 5hrs. Highly recommend a wind breaker and sunglasses. And gloves. I didn’t bring any gloves and my hands went numb taking selfies on the summit like an idiot. Make sure when you’re in the brush you check every so often that you are still on the route. It’s the quickest route through that section and cost me some time when I realized there was too much grass for people to be hiking this everyday. Challenging and fun with amazing views. Can’t ask for more ⛰

One of my favorite 14ers so far. I enjoyed the boulder scramble up to the peak. There were a lot of people and dogs. Many dogs off leash so if your dog isn’t good with other dogs approaching him/her I would not recommend bringing your dog with you. Definitely one of the easier 14ers I have done but a beautiful one nonetheless

We arrived just after 8am on Wednesday and the parking lot was pretty much empty. As others have mentioned, the trail is very easy to follow and you really can't get lost. The first 70% of the hike is on a soft trail with plenty of rocks. The next 20% is much more rocky and vertical. Once you pass this area, you're at around 3,700' with the last 10% of the hike being all rocks to the peak. We brought our two cattle dogs with us and they had no problems with the trail. We didn't want to risk them coming back down from the peak so I just ran up there to take some pictures while my wife stayed with them at the base of the peak. The views at the peak are great but I don't think they're worth the possible risk to your pup.

this was my first 14k Peak and also my first hike in Colorado. Very amazing hike for this California native.

Started at 7 am today and not many people on the trail (luckily got to do this on a weekday to avoid most of the crowds). Most of the hike is semi flat until around the last third of it so it is really good for trail running if that’s your thing. I ran pretty much the whole way back to the trailhead. Bring layers as it can get very windy and cold. I would recommend a face warmer as well. I was very glad I brought mine today. No snow or ice yet

Highly recommended. Definitely not an easy first 14er but we’ll worth the trip up!! It’s very popular so I recommend hiking early to avoid the crowds. We started at 630, peaked the summit at 930am.

Great hike. It was not easy, but comparable to Square Top (honestly, I felt like Square Top was harder). Great views on this one! Went on a Monday morning, not a lot of hikers on the trail. Rocky climb most of the way. Once near the summit, it is a scramble which makes it difficult. I had my pup with me and she was able to navigate the scramble okay. Definitely not for dogs not adept to hiking/scrambling, but there are nice views once near the top at the scramble if you make it there! Some wind on the day we went, but nothing unbearable - check wind speeds if you're going this time of year! No snow yet -10/07/19.

Hiked it yesterday afternoon. Overly crowded. Single track made it hard when stuck behind slower people. Wind gusts were brutal! Very cold during the decent.

Hiked yesterday and it was bitter cold. With the strong, hard wind and freezing wind chill it was tough. Trail isn’t that difficult overall but definitely should have gone in warmer months to make the experience enjoyable.

Absolutely fantastic trail, this was my first time I’ve done a 14er in colorado and I’m so glad I did. Finishing the season with this hike was perfect. It’s definitely challenging the last 1000 feet pushing to the top but so worth it. Was pretty cold today, had many layers on, and packed accordingly. Took my friends and I 4 hours round trip. Will definitely be doing this one again!!

this was our first 14er. we arrived at the trailhead at 8 a.m. which was perfect. the lot was full but there was plenty of space on the side of the roads. however upon leaving at 12:30 there was no parking anywhere. when people talk about making sure you have layers it is not a joke. this time of year the mountain did not get above 30 degrees. proper hiking gear is a must. the trail is pretty crowded but everyone's really friendly. also one of the cleanest hikes we've been on in Colorado virtually no trash. if you're bringing your own dog please pick up your dogshit bags, that's the only garbage we seen. awesome hike

Great challenge! But I’m not one to repeat trails that give me too much of a rocky time. Nice to have done once. October winds are way too cold.

Very windy and cold - no snow

Hiked this today as our first 14er! Moved to Denver a month ago and had no problem with the altitude. It was a little crowded because it was Saturday, but everyone on the trail was so friendly and kind. Very very windy on the last 1/3 of the trail, we were pretty chilly despite many layers. Rock scramble at the top is difficult and hard to follow, but the views from the top and warming up in the sun made it all worth it. Great hike

I hiked this trail last Wednesday and the wind was brutal. It was an amazing hike with great views all around, has a little bit of a challenge at the top with all the rocks / boulders but it was still an amazing hike. Wasn’t at the top for long because the wind was so rough. I recommend starting early, we started the hike around 8:00a and started descending from the top at 10:30a and we passed a lot of people who were just starting which made it over crowded.