EveryTrail is now a part of AllTrails! Please click here to read more.

Mount Bierstadt Trail

Mount Bierstadt Trail is a 6.8 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Silver Plume, Colorado that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and snowboarding and is best used from June until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 6.8 miles Elevation Gain: 2,719 feet Route Type: Out & Back

The trail is almost entirely in the Mount Evans Wilderness. No mountain bikes are allowed in the Wilderness. Stay on the trail to avoid trampling the vegetation. Although dogs are allowed to use this trail, some users have reported that the rocks and scrambling can be very difficult for them to traverse.

Completed this hike on 11/10/2019. Road to the trailhead had a few spots with ice in corners, so drive carefully. Still accessible by any type of vehicle. Trail was a mix of exposed dirt, compacted snow, and heavily compacted snow/ice. We brought micro-spikes and wore them for approximately 2/3rds of the trail. Could have made it without them but it would have been slippery and more challenging. The microspikes were the perfect tool for the conditions. Conditions on the sawtooth did not look bad, but we did not have time that day to cross over it.

icy

Very snowy and windy ascent. Veterans Day hike.

icy

Did this on Nov 9,2019. 95% of the trail is packed snow. easy to find/follow, but I would recommend spikes to keep from slipping. mid day sunshine melts the very top layer and then refreezes...making it slick. generally speaking an easy incline...until the very top which is covered in boulders. awesome view, but winter is settling in so be prepared for more snow!

recorded Mount Bierstadt Trail

Nov 10. Not too much snow yet. Trail is packed snow and muddy. Did fine with just microspikes. Clocked it at 7.4 miles.

icy muddy and so beautiful. micro spikes came through. made it 2 miles in, to the grand shelf. looking forward to coming back for the summit!

great trall wood be better in the summer when not so cold

Hiked on 10/26. 3 hours up, 2.5 hours down (mostly because we were dumb and didn’t use crampons). A lot of snow and ice. Heavy wind gusts starting at 12k feet covering most of the trail in snow drifts. Regardless it was worth it. Great views and some fun terrain.

We hiked this today (October 19). Beautiful day for the hike. Trail was clear other than a few icy spots in the morning. It’s very cold and windy at the top... dress warm! It was so cold that the hoses on our water bladders froze on our way up.

This trail was way more fun than we expected! You start out in a beautiful valley that loops up and around to an almost even more beautiful view of cliffs and mountains. The top section is a scramble but stay to the left and follow the cairns and you will be just fine! Had some light snow on and off today but it continued to clear up over and over. Personally this one might be one of my favorites for some reason.

We are getting into 4 season weather up top. Many are tagging the top real quick and heading straight down. Highly recommend full face coverage for way down, since hiking west directly into the wind. Last push to summit goes to left (tons of cairns) and traverses around the left side before heading to summit. Will help stay out of the worst of the boulders. There are patches of packed snow that are very icy, but can easily be avoided. But next time we get snow, I think spikes will be a must-have. Views are great, but if you are only going to do one hike up there, make it Square Top. The view west is basically the same as Greys. Can see all the way to Buena Vista.

Had an amazing time hike it this trail! My only complaint is that right before the summit you have to scramble up quite a few large rocks, but other than that it was perfect!

There are tons of people on this hike! I was surprised this is a common beginners 14er because it was a bit harder than I expected, still very good though. There are a lot of people and a lot of dogs on this hike, so if you decide to bring your dog make sure they are people&dog friendly. The last scramble to the top was a bit difficult, especially for a dog.

She cold in october

woowww this is no joke. First 14er after having lived in the Denver areas for 2 months and doing some smaller hikes first. Definitely not an easy feat. I felt acclimated and just tired from a good long hike, my boy friend was visiting and definitely felt the elevation, but everyone seemed to be taking it slow and resting along the way, so there was no pressure to rush. With that being said, make sure you leave yourself plenty of time to summit if that's your goal. The last 2 miles and the scramble up to the actually peak are tough, give yourself time to rest. We saw plenty of people still hiking up as we descended and thought they probably wouldn't have time to finish. Would recommend starting before 10 at the latest. It was extremely windy and chilly, especially at the top, so if you're questioning that extra layer, bring it, and gloves and face protector. Absolutely gorgeous views and incredible scenery, couldn't believe we were up so high

Two days after the snow storm, the trail had snow for about half the route. Not enough snow depth for microspikes, but enough to slow you down a bit. Wind was supposed to be strong in the morning and calm down going into the afternoon, it ended up being the opposite, but the wind was only strong above 13K. Important day to layer.

Had to get a 14er in before the snow! Only my second one but wow everything you can hope for in a hike. Scenic from the time you get to Guanella Pass and drive up to the time you hike to the summit. Forgot how incredible it is atop the world! Worth every minute of about 5hrs. Highly recommend a wind breaker and sunglasses. And gloves. I didn’t bring any gloves and my hands went numb taking selfies on the summit like an idiot. Make sure when you’re in the brush you check every so often that you are still on the route. It’s the quickest route through that section and cost me some time when I realized there was too much grass for people to be hiking this everyday. Challenging and fun with amazing views. Can’t ask for more ⛰

One of my favorite 14ers so far. I enjoyed the boulder scramble up to the peak. There were a lot of people and dogs. Many dogs off leash so if your dog isn’t good with other dogs approaching him/her I would not recommend bringing your dog with you. Definitely one of the easier 14ers I have done but a beautiful one nonetheless

We arrived just after 8am on Wednesday and the parking lot was pretty much empty. As others have mentioned, the trail is very easy to follow and you really can't get lost. The first 70% of the hike is on a soft trail with plenty of rocks. The next 20% is much more rocky and vertical. Once you pass this area, you're at around 3,700' with the last 10% of the hike being all rocks to the peak. We brought our two cattle dogs with us and they had no problems with the trail. We didn't want to risk them coming back down from the peak so I just ran up there to take some pictures while my wife stayed with them at the base of the peak. The views at the peak are great but I don't think they're worth the possible risk to your pup.