EveryTrail is now a part of AllTrails! Please click here to read more.

Mount Bierstadt Trail

Mount Bierstadt Trail is a 7.3 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Idaho Springs, Colorado that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

skiing

snowboarding

The trail is almost entirely in the Mount Evans Wilderness. No mountain bikes are allowed in the Wilderness. Stay on the trail to avoid trampling the vegetation. This is a great all day hike in which you will climb two 4ers, Mt. Bierstadt and Mt. Evans. In the process you will also traverse the saw tooth that seperates these two mountains. The hike up Bierstadt itself is faily easy and we even ran into people with their dogs. However, the crossing of the saw tooth will take you on a very intense class 3 scramble and is not dog or little child friendly. In fact, its not friendly for anyone who is not in shape or not able to take on a class 3 scramble. Its a great hike and a fun way to bag two 14ers in one day! Start out early if you plan to do both peaks, especially if you aren't used to the altitude. Wear clothes that will keep you warn during the ascent up Mt. Bierstadt and that will be easy to shed once you reach the peak and sunshine. Also, be prepared for strong winds and colder temps on the way up Bierstadt. Leather gloves can be used for the crossing of the saw tooth.

First 14er. Great hike & no snow in July. Looking forward to my next trip to CO & my next 14er!

This was brutal...for me anyways. I went yesterday (5/13). This was my first 14er ever and had no idea about the snow. The road to the closest parking lot was closed, so there was an added 1.5 mile hike to the trail head. I only wore trail running shows, but this was definitely a day for snow shoes! Several times I wanted to turn back and my feet were sop and wet. I also should have brought more snacks and a hat! It was windy up there. The entire hike took me about 7 hours. 10:30-5:15 (round trip to and from my car). I did make it to the top and glad I did, but next time I'll be better prepared...or wait a few weeks like the previous poster mentioned!

I wish I had done this hike in a few weeks when the snow had melted. I went today (5/13). Was there from 11am - 5 pm. Reached 12,000ft, but STRUGGLED on the way down because I did not have the proper footwear and the snow was melting, so I was falling into waist-deep holes the entire way down. If you have the proper attire, go for it. If not, make sure the conditions are right before making the trip. I don't suspect reaching the summit is too difficult with the right equipment/warmer weather, considering I almost got there wearing the wrong gear today. I need to come back to complete this 14er!

Hiked 4/23/17. Great hike! Still a lot of snow, it got slushy in the afternoon. We did it without snowshoes, they could have been helpful in some spots but yaktrax did the job. The road to Guanella pass trailhead isn't quite plowed all the way so it added about 2.5 miles to the total mileage from where we were able to park. Hardly saw anyone the whole day!

def one of the easiest 14ers, but spring time means a lot less people and glissiding was so much fun on the way down

I hiked this yesterday. I was 710ft from my first 14er! Rookie mistake thinking I'd be fine going up Mount Bierstadt without yack tracks, poles or snow shoes. My trusty Merrell Capra hiking boots filled with so many mini snow balls that it froze my feet. I had an internal battle with my "Be A Koch" attitude but decided I should turn around and come back with proper gear. And maybe be alil more fit.. my heart rate hit 191bpm.

Did Bierdstadt in early June. Friends said their would be no snow, yeah right! I wore my crampons and it was absolutely needed. The field at the bottom was all ice, my friends of friends were falling and slipping, a couple of them wearing running shoes. There was still a lot of post-holeing this time of year. I fell into snow up to my waste at times, but was easy to climb out but I'm not that big. We slid down that mountain after we reached the top. From what we could guess, we slid on our bottoms down about 1000 feet. There were already pre made "slides" that other people had slid down. We didn't slide fast because no one was wearing snow pants.

Just be prepared for a lot of snow and ice in June. Don't go up there thinking it's summertime and you'll be fine. I almost wore snowpants, friend said I was overreacting, but I really wish I would have worn them!

Very manageable summit hike. Trail is completely exposed and well-marked until the the rocky scramble near the top: best advice for an easier footpath is to pick a set of cairns and follow them.

Great late season hike! There was snow on the trail but very very little ice. I had heard of others saying wind dominated the hike earlier in the month especially at the top, but I did not have an issue with the wind what so ever. I have a feeling a got lucky, so plan accordingly and enjoy your late season hike. Highly recommend you do this before the pass is closed till spring/summer.

Great late season 14er. Couple patches with snow and ice, but very manageable. Highly recommend getting this one in before Guanella Pass is shut down for the winter.