Mount Bierstadt Trail

Mount Bierstadt Trail is a 7.3 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Idaho Springs, Colorado that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

skiing

snowboarding

The trail is almost entirely in the Mount Evans Wilderness. No mountain bikes are allowed in the Wilderness. Stay on the trail to avoid trampling the vegetation. This is a great all day hike in which you will climb two 4ers, Mt. Bierstadt and Mt. Evans. In the process you will also traverse the saw tooth that separates these two mountains. The hike up Bierstadt itself is fairly easy however the crossing of the saw tooth will take you on a very intense class 3 scramble and is not dog or child friendly. In fact, its not friendly for anyone who is not in shape or not able to take on a class 3 scramble. Its a great hike and a fun way to bag two 14ers in one day! Start out early if you plan to do both peaks, especially if you aren't used to the altitude. Wear clothes that will keep you warn during the ascent up Mt. Bierstadt and that will be easy to shed once you reach the peak and sunshine. Also, be prepared for strong winds and colder temps on the way up Bierstadt. Leather gloves can be used for the crossing of the saw tooth.

52 minutes ago

Ascended Friday 10/20/17 around 12:30 pm. Considerable snow and ice (maxing out at calf depth) over the top half of the climb. Didn't wear microspikes on the way up (moving well and didn't want to stop), but put them on for the descent. Wind was fierce (maybe ~40 mph?) the higher you descended. Pretty cold - mid 20's - at the top. Up and down in 2 hours and 1 minute.

1 hour ago

Climbed this last weekend. It was my first 14er! 3/4 yo it was covered in snow, you’ll definitely need some tracks. There were up to 40mph winds and a windchill around 20. Overall it was a great first 14er and I was prepared with warm clothes.

Great hike with great views from the summit. It took my wife and I about five hours round trip, with some stops for pictures and to chat with other people on the way up. The trail itself is very well maintained with a decent amount of parking and restroom facilities at the trailhead. I would say about the upper third of the trail was under +/- 1-2’ of snow. I would recommend micro-spikes or crampons (which we didn’t have!) and trekking poles since the more trafficked areas of the trail in the snow got pretty slick with the snow getting packed. Other than that it was one of the more relaxed 14ers we’ve done. We did this hike on October 17th, and would highly recommend it!

Great hike for a first 14er, though having snow made way harder than it should be! None the less, it was a great experience.

Holy bananas! We got unbelievable weather but the snow was mid thigh deep the entire last mile and a half. Totally worth it, lots of slush and mud on the way down because of the melted ice. Good shoes and lots of layers, what a great first 14er

Started at Guanella Pass at 10:15am. Decent travel for a while, but encountered heavy snow about 1 mile from the summit. Cold feet (bring 2 pairs of extra socks and some foot warmer packs if you don't have water proof shoes. My mistake. Snow shoes recommended. Some deep snow for the last mile or so, but you can do it. There were pre-existing tracks for me to follow, but had to post hole and crawl for some of it. Keep pushing. Slushy walk down, but over all a great experience. You can do it. Just be prepared. Snow brings a whole different aspects to the experience.

Great hike! Absolutely beautiful. I went yesterday and it was perfect weather-no clouds when we started at 6:30 AM. Clouds began rolling in at noon, so be off the mountain. The difference in climate from the trailhead to the peak is insane-probably 50 degrees (no snow) at the trailhead to probably 30 at the peak with crazy winds (wind chill maybe 20) and at least two feet of snow. This would be much more fun if the last mile of the hike wasn't trudging through deep snow, constantly losing footing, and worrying about falling. On the plus side, falling down doesn't hurt because of the snow! I should have been more careful coming down than I was, but I just wanted to get off the mountain and warm up. I sat down on my bottom and slid down some of the steep parts. Absolutely wear waterproof pants and bring a rain jacket or windbreaker. Also, the water in my Camelbak froze-I didn't drink as much water as I should have because of that! Also, make sure your phone is on airplane mode, as mine died before I was able to take a picture of me on the peak. Overall, this is a great hike, but be prepared for deep snow and unpleasant conditions starting about a mile from the peak.

Last mile is brutal, but so worth it!

Great weather, and a beautiful trail