Mount Bierstadt Trail

Mount Bierstadt Trail is a 7.3 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Idaho Springs, Colorado that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

skiing

snowboarding

The trail is almost entirely in the Mount Evans Wilderness. No mountain bikes are allowed in the Wilderness. Stay on the trail to avoid trampling the vegetation. This is a great all day hike in which you will climb two 4ers, Mt. Bierstadt and Mt. Evans. In the process you will also traverse the saw tooth that separates these two mountains. The hike up Bierstadt itself is fairly easy however the crossing of the saw tooth will take you on a very intense class 3 scramble and is not dog or child friendly. In fact, its not friendly for anyone who is not in shape or not able to take on a class 3 scramble. Its a great hike and a fun way to bag two 14ers in one day! Start out early if you plan to do both peaks, especially if you aren't used to the altitude. Wear clothes that will keep you warn during the ascent up Mt. Bierstadt and that will be easy to shed once you reach the peak and sunshine. Also, be prepared for strong winds and colder temps on the way up Bierstadt. Leather gloves can be used for the crossing of the saw tooth.

Many beautiful wildflowers near the bottom. Beautiful views of the mountains all the way up! It was quite busy though so I would recommend going early. We got there about 6:30am and watched the sun come up over the mountains. This is my third fourteener in CO and I must say they never disappoint! I would definitely hike this trail again if I ever get the chance!

1st 14er!!! Was awesome!

Climbed our first 14er yesterday - myself and 14 yr old son. Beautiful scenery and great, challenging trek! We departed trailhead around 5am, and for the first hour or so used headlamps. Made the summit around 8:45-9 (took our time up). Descent took around 2.5 hours and was equally challenging. Great experience.

A huge party at the Summit

My boys (age 10 and age 13) and I are so proud of our accomplishment! Our first 14er! ❤️ it! It was beautiful! We over packed .. our pack was too heavy .. lesson learned for next time! I was so happy when it started to snow at the end! Thanks Colorado!

Great hike. My first 14'r. Elevation got me today but I enjoyed the challenge and balance of the trail and summit. Will be back for sure but on a weekday.

This was a great trail with awesome views all around. We got there at 6:30 am, but the place was already packed. We were basically waiting in line to get to the top of the mountain. If you don't mind being around big crowds this is still a pretty cool trail to do.

This was my first attempt at a 14er. I wasn't sure how I was going to do as I'm in the process of recovering from a spine and shoulder injury.
I went on Tuesday August 1st 2017 and I arrived at the trailhead parking area at 615a and barely got the last spot.
I started at 7a and made summit at 9a. I hung out on the summit for an hour or so then made my way back down by 1130a or so after soaking my legs in the river for a bit.

I would definitely recommend Bierstadt to anyone in moderate to decent shape looking for a challenge. This hike was definitely something that
I will never forget!

I'm hooked now and can't wait to get back out and do another one!

A very do-able 14er, but it's still a 14er so unless you're in excellent shape, it will still be a challenge. Bring lots of water and nutritious snacks. Wear a hat and/or bring strong sunscreen! I'm in average shape and it was a fantastic workout for me. The views are absolutely amazing. I took my cousin who was visiting from Oregon. Due to the altitude, it was pretty rough for her but she made it to the top slowly but surely; definitely a good first 14er.

*There is a creek that is a little bit tough to cross at the beginning. I saw a bunch of people just taking their shoes off and walking through.

The beginning of the trail was also very muddy and slick so I don't suggest wearing tennis shoes.

My first 14er. Can't wait to do more!

Loved it! I give it four stars just because it was so
crowded. However the views were amazing and difficulty level was challenging but not defeating. I would start earlier than 5 to avoid crowds. We started at 5:30 and almost avoided the mob.