Mount Bierstadt Trail

Mount Bierstadt Trail is a 7.3 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Idaho Springs, Colorado that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

skiing

snowboarding

The trail is almost entirely in the Mount Evans Wilderness. No mountain bikes are allowed in the Wilderness. Stay on the trail to avoid trampling the vegetation. This is a great all day hike in which you will climb two 4ers, Mt. Bierstadt and Mt. Evans. In the process you will also traverse the saw tooth that separates these two mountains. The hike up Bierstadt itself is fairly easy however the crossing of the saw tooth will take you on a very intense class 3 scramble and is not dog or child friendly. In fact, its not friendly for anyone who is not in shape or not able to take on a class 3 scramble. Its a great hike and a fun way to bag two 14ers in one day! Start out early if you plan to do both peaks, especially if you aren't used to the altitude. Wear clothes that will keep you warn during the ascent up Mt. Bierstadt and that will be easy to shed once you reach the peak and sunshine. Also, be prepared for strong winds and colder temps on the way up Bierstadt. Leather gloves can be used for the crossing of the saw tooth.

This was my first fourteener and it was a great place to start! As soon as you get going on the main trail, be prepared to take a few rest stops. There is a stream to cross, but very little snow left on the trail; my waterproof boots still came in handy. It took me about seven hours total to get to the peak with breaks, eat lunch, and get back to my car. The views were gorgeous and so worth the work!

Easy! This is the go to for introducing people to hiking in the mountains. If you need more of a challenge, go over sawtooth to Mt Evans.

It's near and it's easy. I decided to summit Evans on the same hike via sawtooth ridge.

Pretty easy for a 14er. Not much snow at all on the trail, when you get towards the top there is snow covering the trail for a while but it's easy enough to go around. I started at 5 to avoid crowds and was back to my car at 9:30.

Climbed last Saturday. This was my first 14er. The hiking wasn't too challenging. The high winds were terrible and made it most unpleasant. The barrenness of the trail was a bummer-- was not a pretty hike at all. I learned I immensely prefer hiking in the beautiful woods over mountaineering. And when you have to pee in the woods there's a tree to hide behind too...on top a mountain with all the other tourists there's no where to go!!!

Did this on 6/17. The weather was great the whole way, but it was really windy. Most of the snow is gone, there are only a few patches to hike through. There were a ton of people and many brought dogs and let them off leash for the majority of the trail.

Great hike! Be sure to do it on any day, but Saturday. I got to the trailhead at 5:30am and it seemed like a good start time.

Absolutely beautiful! Did the hike mid June and there was still some patches of snow. I used traction and was thankful I did. Definitely more challenging than I was expecting for my first 14er but so worth it!

Crazy hike. Great workout and the view is worth the trek. The last part consists of climbing up and through rocks that is a bit scary for a first timer but doable. I'll be sore for a few days.

I loved this hike and I made it to the top! 2 years ago at age 59. I will do this one again

6/17/17: We left the parking lot at 5:20am, summited around 7:50am. It was relatively crowded at the top, but it was a Saturday at the beginning of season on the "touristy 14er," so that's to be expected. The path is super clearly marked and the easiest to follow of any 14er I've done.

Coming down was muuuuch slower than it needed to be because that's when the crowds really rolled in.

I brought cramp-ons and they never left my pack. Snow was minimal and could be avoided. Good amount of mud on the way down that had us sliding a bit. Heavy winds in the top section. Less intense at the summit.

Overall, a super pleasant hike in itself and another 14er down, but I'd only do it again mid-week or with the intention of a sunrise summit.

Hiked today, 6/17. Started about 530, parking lot was rapidly filling up. There's a lot of mud in some places, a few patches of snow (nothing you would fall into, and I got by with just hiking shoes) but my real issue is how insanely crowded it was. I get it, it's the easy accessible 14er. But I don't think I'd do this one again.

Once you get to the scramble, people are all over and on top of you. Getting down, it's even worse. Add untrained, dogs to the mix, and the buzz from bagging a 14er rapidly subsides.

Bring gloves, a hat, and sunscreen!