Mount Bierstadt Trail is a 10.9 kilometer heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Silver Plume, Colorado that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and snowboarding and is best used from June until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 10.9 km Elevation Gain: 829 m Route Type: Out & Back

As of May 2020, the road to the trailhead is experiencing full or partial closure due to COVID-19. It is only reachable by foot or on a bike. Please see the open trails nearby for alternate hiking options. The trail is almost entirely in the Mount Evans Wilderness. No mountain bikes are allowed in the Wilderness. Stay on the trail to avoid trampling the vegetation. Although dogs are allowed to use this trail, some users have reported that the rocks and scrambling can be very difficult for them to traverse.

Lots of fun and effort for my 2nd 14er. The gate is open today, so enjoy ya lucky folks (it opened today at 2pm while I was hiking out)

Great trail! First 14er and was definitely a challenge. View from the top was incredible. This may be a long shot but we lost a GoPro Hero 7 somewhere along the trail. It had a stick and a black case around the camera. It has many valuable memories on it and I’m deviated that it’s lost. If anyone finds it, could you send me a direct message @becockk on Instagram or Facebook (Becca Thiel)

Not my favorite 14er, small space at the top, windy.

5/31/20 Took a couple of people with me today who have not tried a 14er. We had to park ~1.5 miles from the trailhead because the road is closed. We made it up in just under 4 hours. The trail was relatively easy and micro spikes were not needed. Beautiful views on the top and on the way up. Would recommend trying to start before 6 so that you can get yourself a parking spot

Hiked 5/28: Hiked early in the morning, first bit was pretty easy ( this was my first 14er) but it definitely picks up and gets intense. Don't think I would have been able to finish without a couple hikers I ran into, keeping me motivated to push through. The snow was more than I expected, and the rocks toward the end give you a good workout climbing up. Overall, pretty good work to complete but worth it.

icy

Hiked 5/28 - overall a very good hike, took us about 6 hours round trip. The paved road to the trailhead is closed and will add an extra 1.5 miles of hiking each way. Snowshoes not required but spikes could be useful for the snow, but you could definitely do it without both. It was difficult to find the trail on the last section of the hike, but you can see where you need to go and it’s a scramble regardless of the route. Start early to avoid weather. Saw some people hiking it in tennis shoes, would NOT recommend this early in the season.

icy

Did this as our first 14er and it was a great, difficult hike. However, we didn’t realize the trail literally started right next to the parking lot (the road to this parking lot is closed by the way, so we hiked about 1.5 miles to get near the parking lot) and we ended up starting Rosalie Trail rather than Bierstadt Trail. We felt the marking for Bierstadt were a bit hidden after we came back from starting Rosalie Trail. We did end up doing Bierstadt and it took us about 6 hours, keep in mind we are not pros, so someone who has a better stamina can probably do it in less time. The top of Bierstadt was beautiful, so definitely worth it! Getting there was a little hard, it was muddy and snowy at times, and as we got closer to the summit, we had to go through a lot of boulders (somewhat challenging).

icy

Hiked 5/26. Road in dry but top of Guanella pass was closed. Big hike up to trailhead on dry, paved road. Beginning of hike was icy in morning and super wet and muddy upon return. Hike up was snowy and steep. Some postholing and spikes recommended but not required. A little hard to follow the trail but it didn’t matter, you can see your destination so just take the easiest route. Challenging but views worth every step!

Well-marked, pretty simple ascent. Very little snow though it is a little muddy in the lower sections. Nothing too complicated.

finishing the weekend with a w

went here when the roads still closed. the hike to the beginning of the trail is difficult in itself. didn't get to see the moose at the lake take crampons and maybe snow shoes early spring. great hike and wonderful views