Mount Belford

Mount Belford is a 7.8 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Granite, Colorado that offers scenic views and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, and horses and is best used from March until November. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

A very straightforward fourteener through the magnificent Missouri Gulch From the trailhead cross Clear Creek using a well constructed bridge. Just over the creek is the sign-in for the trail. A little further down the trail and off to the left is the cemetery for the town of Vicksburg. This makes for a short interesting stop. The trail then quickly heads up a steep slope using some nicely cut switchbacks. After breaking treeline and entering Missouri Gulch you will come to an intersection that is labeled with a sign. The sign will direct you to your left. The ridge of Belford will be directly ahead of you and this will be your path to the summit. This hike goes through an unbelievable number of switchbacks. However they are much better than the origninal trail that just went straight up. Take the switchbacks all the way up the ridge, pass a false summit until you see the orange colored rock protrusion that comprises the actual summit.

Me and my gf camped out a couple miles past the Missouri Gulch Trailhead the night before. The dirt road up is washboardy, but we made it just fine in a 2010 Grand Caravan. This hike was a breath of fresh air after climbing Democrat the week before, which was nothing but rocks. The trail to Belford is steep and beautiful. Winding through the changing aspens on our way to the upper switch backs was awesome. it was incredibly windy, which made the exposure areas a bit menacing, but all and all, a great, physical hike with extremely rewarding views.

First 14er, very strenuous, but extremely gratifying. Incredible views looking down as far as the eyes can see.

This was my 2nd 14er. Lots of variety in the terrain, great views along the way and at the top, pretty strenuous for a Minnesotan and well worth the effort!

great tough climb. my first 14er. definitely not a great one to start with, but totally want to do it again.

Excellent trail maintenance, beautiful views. Summer conditions with only a few, easily avoidable snow areas. Relatively quiet for a Saturday!

this hike is steep steep steep! There's a good mix of terrain that keeps things interesting. I did this hike on a Friday and didn't run into many others. The last mile stretch is by far the toughest due to the elevation gained in a short distance. Ran into a little snow entering the Missouri gulch, but it was packed down and easy to walk around

Pretty trail but we were there 5/6 and there's knee deep snow! Lost the trail a couple of times and the snow started right after we got to the false summit. Be prepared!

Surprised to see 14er has this one classified at 2, seems more difficult. Creek crossing was completely frozen, make sure to look for the cairn on your left to know where to cross and continue on the trail. Amazing view once you pass the old log cabin. Steep climb, crampons necessary for the sporadic icy spots. Amazing views the whole trip up the prominence, well worth the difficulty.

Sunday, September 04, 2016

This was only my second 14er, but I thought it was much prettier than Elbert. Our group started a little before 5:30 am - we're slow - we were back at the car in 9 hours. We took the steep way up, and the 1 mile extension "loop" back. Like other reviewers, I strongly strongly recommend that route. It's very pretty, will be easier on your knees, and you avoid sliding in loose rock during the steep descent.

Monday, August 29, 2016

As my first 14er, I was extremely satisfied! Not only simply because I did it, but because of how unique each point of the trail is! We did the steep switch backs in the way up (park ranger said that there are 105 of them) and for the way down we took the gradually descending loop that takes you arrive the valley on the back side of the mountain. Now that does add an extra mile or so taking that route down, but it was so worth it because you avoid doing the same thing twice.

geocaching
Friday, August 12, 2016

Beautiful hike but can be strenuous at times. Not recommended for beginners. Sights at the top are worth the trek!

Saturday, August 06, 2016