Mount Antero Trail

Mount Antero Trail is a 14.2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Nathrop, Colorado that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 14.2 miles Elevation Gain: 4,819 feet Route Type: Out & Back

ohv / off road driving

1 hour ago

Camped Thursday night, the 10th, Summit attempt on the 11th. We drove to the split in the 4x4 trail where you can go to the lake or head to the summit, just short of the water crossing, about 8 miles in. There was a snow storm that came in Thursday, but the road up to this point wasn’t bad. Would definitely recommend 4X4 though. Some ice patches here and there, but overall in good condition. We drove up in a 4x4 4Runner with a 2in lift and off-road tires. When we woke up Friday morning for the hike it was 5 degrees.... wind 5-10 mph, so felt even colder. There’s a stretch about a mile past the water crossing where the stream has run on the trail and frozen. You can stick to the side to hike up, but driving would be very difficult if still frozen. 6-8 inches of snow on the switchbacks just before the shoulder. We didn’t have to pull out the gaiters, but they will be a must in the coming weeks as more snow falls. We got to the saddle, which is a solid scramble with some short sections of game/hiking trail that you can make out, but it’s sporadic. This section was treacherous, as there’s a sharp drop on both sides and snow had collected on the rocks, making good footing tricky. Winds were gusting 30-40 mph at this point. NOT FOR BEGINNER OR INTERMEDIATE HIKERS. If you are a skilled enough hiker to make it past this part, you’re in the clear. Final ascent is a straight scramble to the top with a minor switchback hooking around the NW side just before the summit. Overall, very tough for fall/early winter hiking. Be prepared for high winds, serious cold, snow (will get much deeper), and tough scrambling.

rough but awesome road up, fun scramble across the ridge and to the summit

09/15/2019 - It had been years since I last went up this road with a 4x4 pickup. So we had to check it out in our new 4x4 van. It remains one of the prettiest 4x4 trails in Colorado but recent "improvements" seem to have turned parts of the trail into a boulder field. So go very slow, be patient, and enjoy (can't be in a hurry).

off road driving

We drove this trail today and it was amazing! Beautiful views and not heavily trafficked. We were in my Jeep Rubicon and it handled it nicely. I wouldn't suggest taking anything less equipped to the very top.

Hiked/drove up part of the 4x4 trail. if you can make it past the first tenth of a mile you can take the road all the way to 13.8k. We drove a stock f150 and bottomed out a few times but no damage.

off road driving

Drove up on Jeep Wrangler Sport (2 dr, 2” lift, 35” tires). Amazing views, the forest part of the trail pretty bumpy, good, but very narrow, road as you will pass tree line.

off road driving

Mount Antero is awesome. There isn't anything particularly hard (beginning is probably the worst) but the views are stunning. If you don't like shelf roads where a mistake could have your car rolling for a couple minutes this may not be your jam. On this particular day filming was very tough. There were cloud blankets, rain, scattered clouds, sun peeking under the blanket and lighting it up, no clouds, everything moving very fast. At first it kind of bothered me not being able to see the many peaks this trail offers but after embracing the unique look I love it. I was in my own little world like they hadn't done the backgrounds in my video game yet. Once in awhile light would show through spots while the rest was dark and everything became clear but I now prefer only seeing the task at hand. I only have one 2sec clip of actual Antero before it was engulfed in the clouds. At this point I was slightly nervous and decided to head down. Of course when I got halfway down all the weather left and the light was perfect. With my own agenda for the evening (and after 7hrs filming) I decided to grab two more shots and continue downwards. This thing is epic, have fun out there! If you'd like to see me video of the run check it out below: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xwDAjRzx0Y&lc=Ugyer3DvqoER_t6wYQN4AaABAg

Sunday, September 16, 2018

Perfect day weatherwise. Very few people all day. If you are thinking about cutting a couple of miles off the approach without a good 4WD forget it. 277 road very bad but not written up that way in 14ers.com. Not the most exciting one I have hiked.

Saturday, July 21, 2018

Excellent hike! Plan on good boots and poles as most of the trail is rocky.

Monday, July 16, 2018

This trail was awesome! I am a novice in the off roading realm and this trail was a great place to start. We went up here to camp and were not disappointed. There are plenty of areas to set up a tent and they’re far enough away from the other spots you’re not disturbed. 4x4 is definitely recommended along with proper clearance. My stock Xterra did great! When you come to the water crossing you can cross the water for Mt. Antero or go straight to Baldwin Lake. I tried to go up to Baldwin lake but either my vehicle or my nerves couldn’t handle it and I had to stick to Mt. Antero. Everyone on the trail whether in a Jeep, ATV, motorcycle or other SUV was very polite. Hit this trail!

Wednesday, June 06, 2018

It took me 9 hours on Friday. It was a fantastic day for hiking although the wind was very strong on top. There are still some snow patches preventing off-road vehicles to drive all the way up (Jupiii!) The last bit after the closed mine looks intimidating, but there is a trail which can be followed easily. The Sky Pilots are everywhere and they are awesome.

Sunday, June 03, 2018

Long hike, not especially difficult though. The vast majority is on a gently graded Jeep trail that cuts back and forth across the slopes. Only got really steep near Point 13,800, and the road doesn't truly end until you're on the last 1/2 mile section of ridge. I stayed as close to the ridge proper as possible on my hike and found a fairly well-defined path of trampled rocks to the summit, with only a few short stretches where it was slightly ambiguous. Overall, not necessarily the most scenic, wilderness-feeling day in the mountains, but glorious hiking nonetheless.

Tuesday, October 24, 2017

1 October 2017. Driving up trail was kind of rough, only drove to about 10,600 ft. Windy day at 13,000 ft. and I should have had on my winter boots, as there was snow, ~6 in. up higher, drifted. Didn't make it to summit, too windy. Beautiful views, though, especially in the snow.

Thursday, August 31, 2017

Sweet trail! Awesome trees and easy trail to get up provided you have decent clearance (stock 4runner for reference). If you driving with friends, definitely have some coms set up because of all the one lane spots. Great camping spot options for tents! Gorgeous area!

Monday, August 28, 2017

Favorite 14er to date! Very sketchy jeep trail though! I was closing my eyes half the time!lol(luckily I wasnt driving eh?) Found a huge perfectly faceted crystal right off the trail at the top! Pretty long hike, definitely tired afterwards but not particularly difficult.

Saturday, August 05, 2017

The travel up is rocky and very scenic, there were many waterfalls and Baldwin creek runs near the trail and approximately 1/2 way up you must cross this creek make sure waters not too deep as it's about 30 feet across! After that you exit the tree line and can see most of the trail from there. It narrows from there and has many switchback but not many pass areas to pass by others....very challenging when meeting others on this road, very large drop offs on one side, will make your heart pound! Near the top is levels off to a high plain to park and see miles of mountains in every direction....gorgeous!!! To the top from here I'd suggest having two vehicles as the road narrows is steep with loose rock and tight switchbacks - from the top you still have a hike to the summit-bring your oxygen as it's one of the 14ers!! Nice scenic moderate trail!

Friday, July 21, 2017

this hike was absolutely beautiful!

Monday, June 05, 2017

June 3, 2017. Lots of snow still on trail. Had to turn back in our Runner. Might be passable with only two wheels.

Wednesday, April 12, 2017

easist 14er I've ever done, the road to the upper trailhead can be tricky but once you get there it's a walk to the top.

Monday, June 06, 2016

My first 14er!

Thursday, August 27, 2015

Scenically, not worth the 9+ mile slog on the Jeep trail. The only portion that can be classified as hiking/climbing is the final pitch - a ~.5 mile scramble across a ridge and an ascent up the tales slope. If possible, drive to the 11k trailhead at the creek crossing (4wd a must!). This saves a few miles of very rough walking and some elevation gain.

Friday, July 17, 2015

My first 14er 6 years ago.