Mosquito Pass OHV Road

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(67)
Pike National Forest

Mosquito Pass OHV Road is a 16.8 mile heavily trafficked point-to-point trail located near Alma, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for ohv/off road driving and is best used from May until September.

Distance: 16.8 miles Elevation Gain: 2,988 feet Route Type: Point to Point

ohv / off road driving

This is an off-road driving route, not a hiking trail. This route can also be done in the opposite direction starting in Leadville. The full route may not be possible until snow late summer when snow has melted.

ohv/off road driving

Date: 05/09/2020 This trail is open for the season. However the entry is blocked because of huge avalanche. The trail beyond the avalanche seemed to be dry though. Most likely snow will not melt for another 3 weeks. You won't make it pass the avalanche unless your rig is equipped with snow removal equipment

ohv/off road driving

Pretty good trail, although there were a lot of loose rocks that had fallen off the sides of the hills onto the trail, nothing too big, just keep your eyes open. Park county side had a bit of snow from last week's first snow, but the Leadville side has some heavy snow. There were a number of tire tracks leading through part of the snow, but we were the first to punch all the way through the 200-300 yards of deeper snow. Snow is a good foot and a half to two feet deep in some spots - but our Rubicon made it through without much trouble in 4-low. Be careful, if you do get stuck, nothing to tie off a winch to... Other than the snow, trail was not too difficult. Definitely heed the warnings about low clearance vehicles, there are a number of spots, mostly on the Park County side, where stock SUVs would probably bottom out.

ohv/off road driving

Would be tough and severely prone to damage and flats in a stock SUV. No problems in a 3" lifted wrangler with 33.3, slow and steady. As stated before rocks are larger on park county side. Your stock Subaru will bottom out almost certainly though some have made it. Well worth the trip. Lifted Tacomas, FJs, Wranglers, similar, and side by sides, only vehicles I passed. All with off road tires and suspensions. My 33s were small comparatively.

ohv/off road driving

Just finished the pass, still passable with no snow. Easy to Moderate.

ohv/off road driving

Awesome. Started from Alma followed trail into Leadville. Start of the trail was real rocky. The downhill part with the switchbacks was not tough. Good trail in a 2018 Tacoma TRD Off-road DCLB.

ohv/off road driving

Great pass! Rocky pretty much the entire way.

ohv/off road driving

Still one of the roughest trails in the state! We do it yearly as it is so much fun. Notice fewer stock suvs trying it as it has become much worse! Clearance is now key for this trail. I’ve done it in F350’s, pathfinders and jeeps and have fun with all of them on this amazing pass! Sad to see all the mining buildings collapsing but it is bound to happen! Loads of columbines when we were up there last!

ohv/off road driving

Another great ride. Went to the top of the pass then back down. Spent lots of time checking out the old mines. What a piece of history.

ohv/off road driving

Drove this trail from Alma to Leadville in a stock 4Runner TRD PRO. This was our first real off road trip, so it was definitely a learning experience (rig capabilities, choosing lines, etc.)  There were a few stretches where I questioned proceeding (because I'm new to this), but i tried to pick the easiest line, and the 4Runner did great. Hit the skid plate a couple times (barely grazed it, no dents/scratches), but that was 100% driver error: I guarantee a better driver would have avoided the obstacles. That being said, as a beginner, I wouldn't want a vehicle with any less clearance on this Trail. I'm pretty scared of heights, but with the trail being fairly wide, I was never too worried. We did get way too tippy for comfort on the second switchback heading down the leadville side (left hander), but again, I chose a poor line: 100% driver error. The views on this trail are gorgeous, and my wife and I definitely enjoyed the excursion. Lots of Pika and Marmots around at higher altitude

ohv/off road driving

We conquered the beast today in a 2017 Stock Jeep Cherokee Trail Hawk. We are new to this and this was our third CO pass. We started on the Alma Side and would recommend this route. The hardest part of the trail for a stock vehicle is the beginning up to the mine but it never gets easy. Just when you think it is it it doesn’t. We stopped multiple times and got out the Jeep choose a line and once you decide that’s the way you go. It’s not as narrow for the most part as say Webster Pass and passing it easy. There is a point you reach on Mosquito that every obstacle requires a celebration after completion. It’s a pure adrenaline rust when summiting. Everyone says the Leadville side is easier but it is mentally exhausting. My girlfriend had to get out and stand on the edge of the Pass so I could get as close as possible to the edge without going over. By the time you get to Leadville you are over Mosquito Pass. Overall amazing rewarding emotional accomplishment. Having lived in Colorado for five years Mosquito Pass was The Most Colorado Thing I Have Done and that’s pretty satisfying. You have to have confidence in your vehicle and be willing to take the chance you could cause a lot of damage to your vehicle. We conquered without any cosmetic damage and made it back to Denver safe. If you have a 4x4 in Colorado get out there and use it. Highly recommend Mosquito Pass. (Written by Driver, boyfriend Chris,)

ohv/off road driving

Did half of this trail from Alma, in a stock 4runner. About midpoint on the trail just pass the lake on the right, there is a very difficult stretch. Steep, narrow, with large rocks and a dropoff to the left. Scraping will likely happen. I recommend having a lifted vehicle. Other reviewers on here make it seem easy, for the casual offroader, it is absolutely not. Some are claiming they did this in a stock pickup truck with no issues. I call either BS, or they got this trail confused with another. I witnessed 4 vehicles attempt, 1 passed. Great views.

ohv/off road driving

According to the USFS website, the pass is still closed due to avalanche damage, but is actually open all the way now. I drove it from Leadville to Fairplay today. There is almost no snow left. It’s an easy trail for a decent stock vehicle (in my case: Tacoma TRD OR). If you have a fear of heights you may have a hard time.

Pass is still closed but we came from the Alma / Fairplay side and had no trouble making it up to North London Mine today. Big snow bank about 1/2mi past the mine on up the pass, and tough area to turn around so I don’t recommend going past the mine yet. Snow was officially blocking the drive past the mine, but I could see it would be easy to drive through as of today (maybe 15yds of snow driving on flat ground by mine, but only a few inches deep at the ruts others have cleared). It was also clear that people had driven around the snow by the mine but they badly rutted out the area and I wasn’t willing to add to the damage they already did. There were two other vehicles as high as Oliver Twist Lake, but we saw nobody past the lake up to the mine on our way up or down from the mine. Nice and quiet, I suppose since the pass is closed to Leadville, keeping most of the people away from this OHV right now. Side note: drive is very easy up to the lake. But the climb from the lake to the mine should be done only with suitable 4x4 vehicle. Lots of basketball sized rocks half buried and a few rock shelves to navigate. It’s doable but pick a good line and go slow and it’s not a problem. Loved this area a lot. Maybe next time we can conquer the pass.

The trail was a lot of fun but the pass is currently closed.

Excellent hike if you can make it out there while there is still snow and fewer vehicles. We went in early July 2019 from Leadville to the pass and there was snow on the switchbacks still—pretty soft in most places, so post holing happened and we had gators on. But the snow kept the vehicles away! Beautiful st the top of the pass with incredible views all around to multiple ranges. We could see the weather coming in pretty easily and we’re able to get down off the pass/plateau before the thunder started rumbling. Started hike at 7:00 and back to the car by 11::00. Some nice side roads and great opportunities for hiking off trail if you wanted to leave the road(s).

closed

Attempted this trail on 6/12/19 but could not get to the pass because of trees and snow covering the road before the pass. The trip up-to the blockage was scenic, not sure how soon the will get the trees cleared. The avalanche sight was about 5 miles in from the Alama side.

closed

Nice drive, hit snow about 6 miles in and had to turn around.

Fri May 31 2019

Not a hiking trail.

Tue Feb 19 2019

Wife and I snowshoed this trail on Feb 17, 2019. Road was driveable up to the winter closure point. Trail was outstanding for snowshoeing and cross country skiing. Views were amazing. We got a late start so only went in as far as the old mine. Could have easily gone further up the valley with a bit more time. Recommend getting on the trail early, you can easily make it up to the pass and ski back down.

Thu Sep 27 2018

My husband and I took this trail in my stock Toyota Tundra only two points where we had to Check the clearance otherwise it was a fun easy trail with some great views.

Sun Sep 23 2018

Mosquito Pass is a great trail without any major obstacles. There is one long loose rock hill with a bunch of basketball sized rocks but nothing too crazy. Just put your tire on the tall rocks instead of your oil pan. Many stock _______'s have made it but that'll have to be your call. The views are awesome pretty much the whole time with many plants, animals, and old mining structures. Unfortunately the day I was there the smoke was still crazy in CO so my views were obscured. I do have a video of the run up at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFjUpym2QXg 2nd gen Xterra, 33" tires, 2" lift, no sway bars.

Mon Sep 10 2018

Fun high trail

Mon Sep 10 2018

Great fun in the jeep

Mon Sep 03 2018

Great off road trip from Alma to Leadville. Wouldn’t consider the drive hard, but multiple tough spots where my clearance helped out. The road down from the top to Leadville is tight without many spots to pull off.

Mon Sep 03 2018

We finally conquered this trail in our stock 4Runner after literally breaking our Jeep Commander a few years ago just past London Mill. This time we got all the up and over from Alma to Leadville enjoying the mining artifacts, some bazaar Dr. Seuss looking thistle, wildflowers, pika, mountainscapes and amazing cloud formations. We even got snowed on just a bit so take warm clothes for exploring. I would not describe this trail as "easy" or "for beginners" as some other reviews described it. While we were able to complete the trail in a stock 4Runner, we did scrape the skid plate several times and managed to get ourselves into some minor sticky situations. Going slowly, the trail took us nearly 3 hours with several stops to explore.