Mosquito Pass Trail

Mosquito Pass Trail is a 12.5 mile lightly trafficked point-to-point trail located near Alma, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Point to Point

off road driving

You either take Mosquito Pass Rd.,just south of Alma on Hwy. 9, or take 7th street out of Leadville, heading east.

off road driving

Great trail ride for beginners with amazing views that can be enjoyed by all! Not sure what made this a blue trail, there were a couple rough patches but have confidence factory Jeeps and 4Runners/Tacomas would make the trip without spotters. For comparison, we were in my fiancé’s lifted TRD Pro 4Runner on 285’s and did not scrape or rub anywhere, did not use spotters, and didn’t really have to pick a “safe/easy” line. She loved seeing all the pikas, marmots, and chipmunks. There are several spurs we didn’t explore sticking to the main trail mostly but we will be back to see more. I mean there were still Ice caps in August, how cool. We caught a sleet storm, so take jackets and some warmer clothes even if it’s hot before you arrive.

Adventured through the pass to Leadville. Tons of abandoned mines. Saw a few beavers & wild flowers galore. Small brewery in Leadville at end of trial in town was a nice end to a perfect day.

off road driving

drove our Jeep Rubicon over from Alma to Leadville. Gorgeous! Yes, very rocky (reading the review below) but I think that is what we should expect, especially on a pass that's 13,185. Can't wait to do again.

So my wife and I just hiked this road today, 6/22/18. We drove up county road 12 outside of Alma and parked just past the crossing of Mosquito creek. Once you get to the first switchback beyond here, is where the road turns ugly. And that's about 2/10 of a mile. 4 x 4 from there. 2 wheel drive no problem to the creek. This road is intermittent in it's ugliness. There are sections that are really rocky and require some experience, and then it mellows out till the next stretch. I chose not to destroy my wife's Expedition on this road, and so we parked and hiked. The road is still snow bound right now just beyond the saddle you gain above the North London mine. From the mine up, this is where the road is really one lane, and rough!! We managed to get across that snow drift fairly easily, as the snow was soft and we could dig in our heels. I have read about how you can pass other vehicles that might be coming down from the other way. But honestly, beyond the mine, it 's really a one lane road. There may be a few places to get past someone, but no thanks. Below the mine to the creek, plenty of room for going around someone, but still some ugly sections. It took us 2 hours to get to the pass from the creek, and about the same coming down. It was 5.7 miles total. As with our recent hike to the top of Mt. Sherman, we were greeted with the most horrific winds at the top of the pass today. Insane. We could barely hold the camera steady for pics. We stayed about 2-3 minutes, and that's all we could take. Just below the pass it let up some, but was still really windy the whole way back down. Something about that Mosquito range. Wow. The scenery is awesome as with all the high country around here. Even though this is really a 4 x 4 road trip, this was a good hike too. I recommend it if you don't have the interest, or the experience, with 4 wheeling on roads of this nature. I am guessing another 2-3 weeks before the road is snow free at that one spot. Some interesting mining history here as well, like most of Colorado has. A few snow flurries on our walk back down too :) . Another great hike off of highway 9.

off road driving

My first off-road with newly outfitted Jeep & my sons in a TRD Pro. Didn’t drive entire trail, but stopped to have lunch & do some snowshoeing with our Yellow Lab, Big Boy, down to a frozen river. It was a blast! And, we had the entire trail to ourselves!

off road driving

Fairly easy trail for stock '12 dodge ram 1500 until you get to london mine. the road up to the summit/pass, then down to the switch backs is not recommended unless you have a decent 4x4 setup with good clearance.

off road driving

Was a fun drive after a weekend of camping near Leadville

Sunday, August 06, 2017

Great trip for off roading. It was my 1st trip with a Jeep I purchased. Rated at moderate in my opinion due to some difficult spots heading up the Alma side. This side kind of sneaks up on you as all of a sudden you are in the middle of a solid boulder field headed up to London mine. Pick your line and go!
Good time.

Monday, July 24, 2017

Was awesome but you couldn't go the whole way because wife thot it was to rough and there was still some snow the kept you from goin all the way through

Thursday, December 17, 2015

Approached from Leadville. Spectacular. Neat history about a preacher bringing life saving drugs over the pass when Leadville was snow bound

Saturday, July 26, 2014

Great pass! very scenic, amazing views, a rocky ride featuring a few switch backs a few lakes and some abandoned mines! It took me 3 hours overall to complete the pass with lots of stops for pictures. 4x4 With high clearance preferred as their are a few rock/boulder areas as you climb to the summit from Fairplay to Leadville.
07' FJ Cruiser 2" level kit 33's light skidplate dents.
Smiling the entire way.

Thursday, August 29, 2013

What a blast. We entered the trail from the Leadville side (prefer ascend while doing the switchbacks); great views, a few large snowfields still around. Definitely need a 4WD with some decent clearance. Large embedded rocks, ruts, etc. Comes out just south of Alma (north of Fairplay) on Hwy 9.

Tuesday, April 13, 2010

I did not make it over this one, the snow was still too deep and my CRV not high enough. Someday! One way-if you can't do it must back down a narrow drop off rock road,

Tuesday, August 08, 2017