Moon and Gamble Gulches 4x4 Trails

Moon and Gamble Gulches 4x4 Trails is a 7.8 mile moderately trafficked point-to-point trail located near Black Hawk, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Point to Point

scenic driving

Remote, lesser-known mining area between Rollinsville and Apex. Route loops back over more scenic Dakota Hill, with side trip to remarkably preserved shaft house. Many unmarked roads complicate route-finding, so follow directions carefully. Great area for unlicensed vehicles. No parking at start, so drive in far enough to find wide spot to avoid blocking road. More parking at south end of trail at Point #9 and #10 above town of Apex. If you continue down road after shaft house, be prepared to turn around if gate is locked. Open all year, weather permitting. For current conditions call Roosevelt National Forest, Boudler Ranger District at (303) 541-2500.

off road driving

Did part of the trail on memorial weekend 17. started on the Upper Moon Gulch Rd. it started out with pretty mild terrian, nothing too difficult. I'd say most stock rihs could probably do it, as far as we got. we encountered a lot of deep snow. i got out to walk up a ways, with the trail doing an off cambered turn and the snow being about 2-3 ft deep in areas i decided to call it and turn around. We did take some good pics of the gorgeous countryside. I have a couple posted here and more on my instagram @mhysom. Happy Wheelin!

not sure how the whole trail was, there is a giant tree blocking the path a short way in. There is some neat little camping spots though.

off road driving

You are gonna get stuck!
I guess I went in a bad time. i wasn't able to see the trail completely because there was 16"inches of snow. As soonest I saw snow, I backed up and somehow,I got stuck. lol but All I needed is a shovel to get me out. Go prepared for everything. You don't know what you'll see. Even if the trail says easy, is always a good idea to go with someone and go prepared.

off road driving

A fun and easy trail system with some'm optionaln challenges, great views and quite a few side tracks.

Saturday, July 27, 2013

Had a great time with my family and dog in a stock 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee. I am a somewhat skilled 4wheeler. I found that it was a low stress trip. If you have a wider vehicle or no off road experience you may have issues. There were a couple of places that were rutted enough to force me into a fairly steep lean. Lots of wild flowers, places to pull off and let the dog run around, enough tough spots to keep me interested... and few enough tough spots to keep my family from freeking out. We missed the turn for the mine shaft, but saw a couple others along the way. There are a few turns that you can screw up, but decent sense and the topo map provided on this website kept us straight. Like the review says, if you don't want a scratch on the SUV, don't take it, pine trees and aspens pretty close together in some spots. Over all a great day!