Moody Hill OHV Route [PRIVATE PROPERTY]

Moody Hill OHV Route [PRIVATE PROPERTY] is a 18.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Bellvue, Colorado that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 18.5 miles Elevation Gain: 4,484 feet Route Type: Out & Back

scenic driving

bike touring

ohv / off road driving

private property

The trail begins and ends with fun rocky climbs starting on Forest Road #513. Dispersed camping at various points along the route. The road to Crystal Mountain crosses a patchwork of private land. Stay on the route shown here at all times to avoid landowner conflicts. Gates open June 15 and close Nov. 30 under normal conditions. For current conditions call Roosevelt National Forest, Canyon Lakes Ranger District at (970) 295-6700. Steep, rocky sections are easier with lockers, but most high-clearance, short-wheel-based 4x4s can manage the trail if the driver has some offroad experience.

off road driving

Gate to crystal lake is closed. I took 44 out to avoid going down that crazy ledge towards the beginning of the trail. Got up it in my 2014 tundra w/2.5” lift on 33’s.

private property

Trail to Crystal Lake closed, Found a couple of good camping spots though.

off road driving

pretty rocky. decent trail, but the trail to Crystal lake was closed off.

off road driving

Loved this trail - the quarry is an excellent playground for those seeking a bit more adventure. Completed the trail and climbed the quarry in a nearly stock Wrangler with 33's.. After hitting a few of the MOAB trails this is exactly what I needed a bit closer to home.

off road driving

We hit Moody Hill this weekend. We were more limited by time than trail difficulty, so we only went up about halfway and turned back. There is a decent rock shelf to climb at the beginning. We did it in a '19 4Runner with K02s, no extra lift. No scraping issues, just pick a line and go for it. Going back down that shelf was more sketchy than going up, especially since the rocks were a little wet. Really pretty country back there, I would definitely do this trail again when I have time to run to the end.

off road driving

Great trail but very short for side by sides. If you have a rzr or something only plan on being there for a couple hours before you run out of trails to do. Gorgeous view on the top of the hill.

off road driving

Good trail lots of challenges and good terrain. It's pretty washed out in some areas but I had no issues with a Jeep TJ with a 2.5 inch left.

off road driving

We ran Moody Hill in the rain, mud, and gravel. I only had to turn on my rear lockers twice. I had some great direction by a few members especially on the first rock shelf. It was nice watching people run up the quarry lines, the green Jeep made it look easy while everybody else had to get winched up the last big shoot. Connor Bowlin had a rough second part of the afternoon but he came out without a scratch except for his FJ. Great job everyone.

private property

Nobody on the trail. I'm young and in pretty good shape but thought it was quite the workout. Maybe tougher than moderate

Friday, October 19, 2018

First half mile is the toughest, good scenery. Crystal Mountain Trail (at the end of Moody) is closed, but the Private Road back to Buckhorn gets you back without backtracking.

Friday, October 05, 2018

10-4-18 trail is blocked by a couple big trees that have fallen down. also right after the entrance somebody shot skeet and didnt bother to pick up at least 20 to 30 bright yellow shotgun shells. classy... :(

Thursday, September 13, 2018

it was fun until the road got to steep. I tried to do this in a can am 850 outlander but didn't make it to the end. ended up rolling the atv. it was still fun.

Sunday, August 05, 2018

Fun trail. Was a little tuff at the beginning but also challenging and not to hard. Had 33’s with a 4” lift in my 2001 Jeep wrangle. Took that trail like a champ.

Sunday, August 05, 2018

Fun trail. Very green this time of year. The ascent right at the beginning is fun but the crystal mountain trail was gated off. The closure signs looked fairly new.

Monday, July 16, 2018

Took a not quite stock JK Wrangler up it. Hardest part is right at the beginning - you need to pick a line up a steep rock outcropping. The Rubicons we accidentally convoyed with walked right up it with their lockers. Next time we'd air down. The rest of the trail is pretty easy but jouncy with rocks. The 2nd half of the trail was closed off, so we never made it to the end.

Saturday, July 07, 2018

Good trail great view. Overall moderate trail with one difficult rock climb

Monday, July 02, 2018

Did this yesterday, super easy trail to find. I aired down for comfort and would possibly recommend it for a few sections but you could probably make it with out. Easy trail and lots of fun. Got to the top in about 90 min.

Monday, May 21, 2018

Road was closed to 4x4 traffic. Tough/steep hike for first 2 miles. Dogs enjoyed the hike and we saw turkeys and a young male moose. Saw a few mountain bike tracks but had the trail to ourselves.

Sunday, December 03, 2017

Trails a lot of fun today.

Thursday, September 28, 2017

first thirty minutes is the best

Saturday, August 19, 2017

went to trial it was everything I expected we only had 4 hours to spend we wanted to come back off the mountain before dark we will return when we have about 10 hours to spin we have not even tapped half of the trail took time for some love making since we were all alone usually Trail is dry as a bone but this time there was rain and we had time to get mud on the outside and mud on the inside

Sunday, June 25, 2017

Really great trail! I've driven it 4 times. I think all do it again this Fourth of July but this time as a night trail run. This is a very steep exciting trail that doesn't require any strategic driving. No ledges, straight drops, or lines to pick. Airing down is not required except for comfort. There is a rock quarry at the top that you can do some additional fun stuff with. I love the tight quarters and the scenic views.

Saturday, June 24, 2017

Drove it today. Great condition. Only went in about two miles though. Will be back!!

Wednesday, May 31, 2017

We enjoyed an out and back hike of about 5 miles. The trail is a forest road often used for 4 wheeling. The gate was closed, so we had the trail to ourselves. A bit over two miles in is a knoll that offers some great, nearly panoramic, views.