Monument Canyon Trail is a 10.9 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Grand Junction, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, running, rock climbing, and nature trips and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 10.9 miles Elevation Gain: 1,807 feet Route Type: Out & Back

rock climbing

This route through Monument Canyon gains approximately 1500 feet in elevation, most of which is divided between the first mile from the upper trailhead and the last two miles. Ample opportunity for amazing views and wildlife watching.

Make sure to bring plenty of water!

My husband and I really enjoyed this trail. We started around 10:30am, and took our time walking to the coke ovens and back. We liked that is was a moderate trail with rolling incline/decline. The trail is very much in the sun for the entire hike. We saw quite a few people until we made it past Independence Monument, then only saw a few other hikers on the trail. Also saw a couple colorful collared lizards!

Such a beautiful hike from the beginning once you get a mile or so in. I didn’t go all the way to Coke ovens since you can just drive there from rim rock drive. Lots of flowers coming out, and tons of little lizards everywhere!

icy

icy

Still very nice early December. Pretty level until climb last mile to top. Worth the view to head over .3 miles to Coke Ovens Overlook. I came back through Wedding Canyon which was beautiful but I would be careful when it is wet as there could definitely be some slick parts.

Great views early November

This is my favorite trail in the area! Whether you do the loop (which I love and suggests to go wedding canyon to the monument and then monument canyon back to the car) or the monument trail to rim rock drive (I have done both) you will get nothing but great views. Also saw big horned sheep every time I’ve been out there!

Monument Canyon Trail almost 13 mile hike

Mon May 27 2019

one of my favorite hikes!! Try to do this hike about 4 times in the season.

Tue May 07 2019

Great trail, I started around 1130 and should have gone earlier. No shade and no water so bring plenty and don’t forget the sunscreen! The hike from Lower TH to Upper TH is much more strenuous, it’s almost 85% downhill on the way back.

Fri Apr 12 2019

I had two devices, neither of which recorded properly. This was a great trail that was a moderate difficulty hike. It was a 5 mile loop but could be done as an out and back. We went up Monument Canyon and down Wedding Canyon. Wedding Canyon is unimproved and has some pretty steep sections. I’m glad we came down wedding canyon but if you have bad knees I’d avoid Wedding Canyon altogether and stick to an up and back of Monument.

Mon Mar 18 2019

Awesome trail. I could only hike a part of it due to time but would love to come back and do the whole thing. It’s so quiet here this time of year so you really have the trail to yourself for the most part. Perfect weather too!

Wed Oct 24 2018

Did the shorter Wedding Canyon > Lower Monument Trail loop (about 5 miles) and can't wait to go back and explore more. Still pretty warm even when technically the temp wasn't far above 70° but the trail was relatively easy (lots of young families out there). The trail had pretty heavy traffic in spots, so I'll be interested to see if it's as busy on the more challenging trails.

Sun Oct 21 2018

Best hikes ever !

Sat Oct 20 2018

Great hike. Boring beginnings, but once you’re in the canyon, everything is gorgeous. Saw a large herd of sheep. Well marked and easily managed.

Sat Oct 20 2018

10/20/2018 - Hiked the main trail plus the Coke Oven side trail and a bit of the back side of Independence Monument, about 13.5 miles total. Trail and scenery is quite nice and the day was perfectly blue sky, not one cloud to be seen.

Sun Sep 16 2018

Hiked from lower monument via the wedding trail to the upper monument and back. Approx 12 miles round trip. Would highly recommend! Views are incredible, terrain was easily managed by an amateur hiker like me. Start early while it's still cool out (I went 9/16) because it does get pretty warm during day. Bring LOTS of water as well. We did happen to see one big horn sheep too.

Tue Aug 14 2018

Nice way to see some of CNM's formations up close. Some shade along the trail but not a ton, so lots of water and starting early are musts in August. Unfortunately, not much wildlife our morning. We started at the upper trailhead and went to Independence Monument (~3.5 miles) before turning around and heading back. Note that this trail is ~12 miles round-trip (upper to lower trailhead or vice versa, then back) and not 6.8 or 10.9 as listed here.