Monte Cristo Gulch is a 2.8 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Breckenridge, Colorado that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 2.8 miles Elevation Gain: 1,131 feet Route Type: Out & Back

It has been user reported that as of 6/15/19 there is an additional 0.7 miles due to trailhead closure. Please note: users have reported this trail may be difficult for dogs.

Really beautiful trial but not well marked. When you park, make sure you start the incline right away and don’t follow the lake - youll end up going up a steep incline to get back to the right trail. It’ll look like you’re heading toward quandary west ridge, but don’t do that. Little muddy / small creek crossings so be prepped for that. The loop on the right side (facing the Gulch) coming back is not marked well at all, and someone made wrong carins that take you the wrong way. Recommend downloading this map offline on the app and using it for track - was super helpful! We saw a mountain goat, plenty of pika, and some pheasant looking birds nesting at the end. Trail was barely used and we mostly had it to ourselves which was nice (started at 3pm on a Thursday) and took us about 3 hours with extreme lollygagging and lounging. Nice little hike! Ps took a flat lander here straight off the airline and while it was a little more challenging for them, they still breezes through it

I would not suggest this as a hike with dogs. It’s definitely not over 1,000 ft in elevation gain as I saw about 2 miles down from blue lake that it said this trail is closed. You can scramble over rocks on the right side of the top lake past the damn but it isn’t conventional for dogs. The trail isn’t well defined and if you are new to hiking I would say to pick another trail as you could get lost, or fall scrambling over rocks.

Hiked this 7/13/19 with my dog. The lower half of the trail is easy to find and pretty easy to hike. Some snow fields but easily passable. I lost the trail pretty close to the end due to snow, but was still well worth the hike. The views are amazing and there’s tons of streams and pools.

closed

Trailhead as listed by Alltrails is closed due to avalanche threat as of 6/15, so there's an added 0.7 mile hike up the access road. Plenty of people at the dam but not a lot of traffic beyond. Trail is followable up to about the 1/4 way point but is then totally covered in snow. I would wait a few weeks before attempting, though the dam and resevoir were nice enough attractions to make the drive worth it.

We drove this and enjoyed the views. It is beautiful here. So peaceful and gorgeous views. Look at the top of the mountain peaks for goats!

Still not closed! Did this yesterday afternoon in tennies but would recommend snow appropriate hiking gear and some hiking knowledge. There are currently sections where you can sink to your knees. There is also active water flow (very shallow) that is covered in snow. We met someone on the way down who had cut her knee badly enough that she was going to drive straight to the hospital. This trial is challenging and beautiful. Go with someone and stay safe.

Trail definitely not closed. We got there around 8 and there was no one there- absolutely beautiful! Very cold, and slippery with hiking boots as there is snow near the bottom but overall it was not hard, probably a moderate. We brought our two dogs who loved running at the tops. Extremely beautiful, even it’s a lot of fog and limited visibility- wear gloves, beanies, and layers.

Monday, August 27, 2018

TRAIL CLOSED AS OF 8/24/18

Sunday, August 26, 2018

I would agree this is a moderately hard hike especially if you’re flatlanders. Otherwise it’s fairly moderate. Some rock clambering and crossing over brooks. Some steep descents but we saw mountain goats (in the parking lot haha) pikas and some awesome vistas. We stopped at the beginning of the loop because we had to get back to catch a flight. Excellent hike.

Monday, August 06, 2018

This is one of my favorite hikes near summit county for several reasons . One it is gorgeous and two you can hike for as long as you want . You can hike to first lake and have a fun outing. You can hike to 2nd Lake and have a longer hike or for the adventurous you can hike to the top and summit mt fletcher which is almost a 14’r at 13950’!!! The views are amazing and provides a great view of quandary without all the crowds!! Just follow the rock pyramids for trail locations .. you can see my trail locations on the app for where to hike. It’s a 5-6 hr hike to do fletcher but it’s worth it !!

Tuesday, July 03, 2018

We started out really late and ended up hiking most of it in the dark, but it still had some great views and was a fun hike. We also saw some sweet biting goats #neaturewalks

Thursday, June 21, 2018

Great hike with great views!! Definitely going to come back. I would say it’s more moderate than hard

Wednesday, March 14, 2018

My boyfriend and I wanted to do this hike last week, though we did not as there is a sign posted which states that the trail head is closed to prevent scarring of the land and recommends that the Quandary Peak Trail Head be used instead.

Thursday, September 21, 2017

Really nice little hike.

Sunday, August 27, 2017

Great short hike! Very peaceful open space with a beautiful creek at the top. Very few hikers on the Saturaday in June that I went. It is possible to summit Mt. Quandary from this trail if you know what you are doing.

Saturday, August 12, 2017

Challenging walk for those not used to the altitude. Would be beautiful on a sunny day.

Friday, July 21, 2017

The road up here was the scariest part. One lane with a drop off on the downhill. Then there's the warning sign about the path being an unmarked trail and you could die. After that the beginning is pretty steep and rocky. It flattens out a little but most of the trail is uphill and picking your way through streams. We didn't do the loop but stopped for a snack at 12,500 feet and went back down. Worried about cloud cover. Took about 1.5 up and another 45 down. Saw kids in this trail, would not bring my own.

Wednesday, August 17, 2016

The views were amazing along the way. We saw pika, marmot, ptarmigan, and mountain goats! Some steep ascents and loose rocky areas. We turned right in the valley and hiked up to the base of Mt. Fletcher.

Saturday, August 13, 2016

Beautiful place! Saw lots of goats and windflowers growing.

Saturday, August 13, 2016

There's a sign that says this trail is closed now

Saturday, August 06, 2016

This trail is of only moderate difficulty and so beautiful it is definitely worth the hike! Wild flowers, mountain goats and marmots, the streams running down to the reservoir are so rewarding. One of my favorite hikes near Breck!