Molas Lake To Animas River is a 8.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Silverton, Colorado that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and mountain biking and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Starts at Molas Lake and ends up at Animas River. Down hill trail

Amazing trail. Has some difficulty since most of the way back is uphill. Very beautiful scenery including waterfalls and the Animas River.

The most beautiful views - the last 2 miles hiking up was a bit hard but overall a great hike.

Great trail with great views. Not too heavily trafficked on a Friday morning. Down by the river I got to watch the train from Durango to Silverton come by. The return hike is tough as its mostly uphill, but altogether a real fun hike. It took me maybe 4 hours with 20 minutes spent by the river.

Did this end of July 2018. Great views. Very little traffic. As previously stated, the grind from the bottom is a bit strenuous but a great challenge. My dog also loved the stream at the bottom.

awesome views going down into the valley. hike back up is a bit arduous but not bad. i only encountered one other group. this is one of my favorites so far.

This is a very well maintained downhill hike with wide switchbacks covering most of the descent. I really enjoyed the first section with the long range views, but at least 3/4 of the hike is in the interior of the forest with very little views until you reach the river. My dog did enjoy a swim once we got there! The climb from the bottom got a little monotonous, but no section was ridiculously intense. It took me 3 hours round-trip with a couple shorts rests coming back up.

Great day! 1st Mile and half on the way back are the most strenuous, say a 7 of 10.

We hiked this trail the first week in June, 2018. It was amazing. Epic views.

Gorgeous hike! The trail was bone dry. Incredible views and you can get right up to the railroad and see the train pass.

Easier than we expected. Amazing views. It took us just over 4 hours round trip. No snow on the trail. Not too wet or muddy either. The mileage was spot on.

Very good hike for our first Colorado hike. The altitude was an obstacle, but we managed. The dogs loved it, especially the stream down at the bottom. Would like to do this again when the trail is dry and no snow. Trail is rocky in some areas. Very nice views of the mountains.

The views from this trail are incredible! Hiked on 4/29/18 in mostly sunny weather with high winds. Was the only one on the trail for five hours. While Molas Lake itself was still frozen, the trail was 95% dry except for thick mud leading from the trailhead and patches of snow in shaded woody areas. The downhill views and Animas River are well worth the return climb.

Monday, October 02, 2017

A beautiful trail with stunning views that are well worth the back hike up! We saw the train twice down by the river - once from up above and then again when we reached the river. Steepest part is thru the aspen grove near the top of the trail. It was pretty sloppy with all the recent rain at the upper section of the trail, but that went away when we reached the switch backs. A great fall hike with lots of colors to see and hike through!

Wednesday, August 09, 2017

One of the most stunning and beautiful hikes I've ever done.

Monday, July 31, 2017

Beautiful experience!

Saturday, July 08, 2017

The views from the mountain looking down at the Animas were great!!

Sunday, June 25, 2017

Very nice, moderate intensity trail - the waterfall is BEAUTIFUL!! Nice for dogs to run on!

Saturday, June 24, 2017

Great hike! Strenuous when you're not used to the altitude! I was huffing and puffing but I made it. Loose and rocky so have good boots.

Friday, June 16, 2017

Hard but great hike. Has a really pretty waterfall and some incredible views. Lots of places to camp too

Sunday, June 11, 2017

Beautiful views!!

Thursday, June 08, 2017

Thursday, August 11, 2016

beautiful !

Thursday, June 16, 2016

We just did a little day hike. The views are beautiful with the wildflowers and waterfall. Not too difficult of a trail we carried my 1 year old in a carrier no problem. Just drink plenty of water if your not used to the elevation!

Sunday, April 26, 2015

I hiked over to get great views of the Grenadiers Mountains. Waterfall and Molas creek nest to trail.June 1999.