Mohawk Lakes Trail

Mohawk Lakes Trail is a 8.9 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Breckenridge, Colorado that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from July until September. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

fly fishing

scenic driving

Take Spruce Creek Rd., just to the left of Goose Pasture Tarn and go as far as you can on this road.

2 minutes ago

Stunning views, gorgeous lakes, waterfalls, old cabins, and wild mountain goats. This trail had it all. could not have had more fun.

This truly is a beautiful hike! I think moderate is a fair rating, except for one short portion that I would classify as hard. The last mile or so (maybe a little less) before the upper lake is a bit steep, and a little difficult if you're not acclimated to the elevation, but don't let that stop you from making it to the top. I also highly recommend continuing on beyond Upper Mohawk Lake for about one more mile to see the other lakes. This was by far my favorite part of the whole hike. It's much less populated, and the views are serene and beautiful. We even saw a few mountain goats hanging out around lake 4. We were only able to get to the 5th lake because of lightening rolling in, but even coming this far was worth it. I regret not being able to go just a little further to see the last two lakes, but, better safe than sorry with those mountain storms!

We brought fishing gear so we could fish coming back down the trail, but because of the storms, we decided to skip fishing in the upper lake, and fished Mayflower Lake instead where we caught a few Cutthroat trout.

Lastly, don't worry if you can't make it to the upper parking lot. There's a trail head at the lower lot (where the majority of people park), and the hike from the lot to Mayflower Lake is lovely.

This trail was beautiful. Not too difficult.

Fantastic hike! This was one of the most beautiful hikes that I have done. However, I would rate it as Hard instead of Moderate since the incline at the top gets steep. This is a very heavily trafficked trail but thins out substantially once you reach Upper Mohawk Lake. Reaching this lake was my favorite part of the trail and I decided to take a break there to watch people’s reactions as they reached this magnificent lake. Stunning. I highly recommend you keep going and see all 7 lakes. Totally worth it! The trail ends at the edge of the 6th lake but there are stones in the water and we hopped across those and crossed the small hill to reach the last lake. My boyfriend and I were the only ones there, it was so serene and peaceful. This is definitely a full day hike, take plenty of water, snacks, and breaks.