Mitchell Creek Canyon Trail

Mitchell Creek Canyon Trail is a 2.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Castle Rock, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

This trail is a great example of the ecology and geography of the Castle Rock area. It offers much of the same experience as the nearby Castlewood canyon without the crowds. The trail climbs to the western rim of the canyon which it follows for the majority of the hike. The trail can be accessed from the "founders village" Mitchell Creek Trail System as described in the hidden Mesa open space off highway 86. Mountain bikes and horses are prohibited. Dogs must be leashed.

Decent trail with some nice views.

Some climbing-like steps from rock and boulders. Be careful around edges and where shrubs grow into the path - there's no guardrails here. Trail is not easily marked - try to stay on the path. Beautiful scenery.

A beautiful hike that the two boys (age 8 & 10) we were hiking with loved. The trail winds around rock formations with beautiful views that make you quickly forget you just parked in a populated subdivision. We arrived at 10:30 and the boys were in heaven scrambling up and down little detours on the trail.

However our walk back in the early afternoon gave us all the fright of our lives from encounters with two rattlesnakes. One we were tipped off by a couple hiking just in front of us and the other started to rattle as we apparently had all just walked by him. There was no veering off trail on our way back and we really wished we had started earlier before they came out to bathe in the heat of the day or chose a colder day in general. Definitely keep this in mind. But the hike itself was pretty spectacular.

I did this trail today with my two dogs. Great, well maintained easy trail. We did see a small grass snake, enough to give this snake fearer a heart attack. Also a fair amount of cactus. Other than that, it was a wonderful, easy hike!

Beautiful trail and scenery. I kept stopping to take photos! The trail is mostly on solid granite, so footing is solid. We started from the Mitchell Creek side, the few people we encountered entered from the Chucks Loop side. Enjoyable day.

If you think it’s just a sidewalk, you’re doing it wrong.

those that think this is a suburban sidewalk are starting on the wrong end!! the west access IS a sidewalk...but if you had hiked all the way east you would have found a beautiful and interesting hike with beautiful views. Start on the east end (skip Chuck's Loop or add it to the end) and head west watching for the trail markers..if you make it to the west end sidewalk turn around immediately and head back!

it's a sidewalk in the middle of a suburb with dirt trails that lead to a highschool and a waste management facility.

Just picturesque So much variety of terrain.

Great little hike, super easy to get to fun stuff and great scenery. I took my 9 yr old and he had a blast climbing around on the rocks. We were out in the middle of the day and I was surprised by the mosquitoes. Bring some bug spray.

This is nothing more than a neighborhood, paved walking path.

Tuesday, April 04, 2017

my son and I hiked this trail for the first time. we had an amazing adventure. there was an easy walking path and then a more advanced one. We will be back!

Wednesday, March 22, 2017

fun and never crowded

Tuesday, February 21, 2017

one of my favorites

Tuesday, January 24, 2017

Beautiful hike

Sunday, November 13, 2016

This hike/walk is in a residential neighborhood and borders a wastewater treatment facility.... Would not go out of my way to partake in again. Maybe nice for the neighborhood folks, but walking alongside the stench of sewage in the beginning of the hike was less than appealing.

Sunday, November 06, 2016

Not difficult. Different type of hike, as you are along the cliff face almost the a quarter of the time.

Friday, November 04, 2016

Amazing views of the canyon from above! Well shaded. Easy-moderate trail depending on the loop with a variety of different features: canyon, cliffs, plains, rock overhangs. The sedimentary rock (plus the distraction of the views) can make it a little more likely to twist an ankle so I'd suggest wearing hiking boots over sneakers.

Sunday, June 11, 2017