Missouri Lakes Trail

Missouri Lakes Trail is a 7.2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Red Cliff, Colorado that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Take Hyw. 24 out of Leadville over Tenn.Pass to FSR. 703, which is on a hairpen curve, then drive to Missouri Rd.(704), then to the trailhead.

could not access the trail.. the road was about 8 miles of 4wd snow covered road. beautiful out there though !

Gorgeous area. Savage peak just dawns over you, and the lakes are beautiful. I camped here, and if you plan to do the same, keep in mind that much of the year it can be somewhat swampy and if you don't get there early you're options for a dry camping spot are pretty limited.

One of the most beautiful vistas I’ve seen.

Amazing hike! A bit steep at the beginning but then mellows out a bit. The streams and lakes are incredibly beautiful! Be sure to take big spray. Highly recommend!!

This was a challenging hike with a wonderful destination. It was challenging due to the rapid elevation gain, but otherwise, the trail was easy to follow. Once in the basin, we were treated with stunning views of the lakes and surrounding rock formations. The condition of the trail at the beginning of the hike and the Labor Day crowds are the only things that kept this from being rated with 5 stars.

One of the most beautiful hikes I've ever experienced! This one has it all - waterfalls, lakes, trees, rocks, some wildlife and wildflowers!

It is pretty steep - almost just as important for the back half of the hike (watch your footing!) as the out half. If it has rained can be pretty muddy and slippery - plan accordingly! The weather went from beautiful to raining in a half hour or so - so TAKE RAIN GEAR! A rain jacket will do you just fine, at least based on what we experienced, although it did get windy as well!

Make sure you have plenty of water and some snacks! My friend and I each had a large hydroflask full of water and that seemed to be plenty for the out and back, but we likely could have used more!

We want to go back & do this as a thru hike with Fancy Pass and camp at the lakes! Cannot wait to hike this again.

Difficult yet beautiful hike! My three boys and wife camped out at the big lake last night! We were the only people there! We saw marmots and enjoyed all the scenery. I highly recommend this hike! Dirt road getting there is not in great shape so if you only have a car, you might want to consider going with someone with a high clearance vehicle.

Tough but gorgeous hike. Beautiful scenery the entire way. A waterfall pretty early into the hike, then a beautiful lake after that (but not the lake you want, continue on from here). You always have a stream or creek along side you. If you get lucky you might see a marmot family at the first lake. Once reaching Missouri Lakes you will be in awe! Mountains as the backdrop.
This hike is highly recommended. Bring lots of water though, and mosquito repellent.

Absolutely spectacular hike! It's a bit of a haul to,get there, but the scenery is worth it! Bring bug spray, wear good shoes and have plenty of water, as you will be in the sun a lot. We went up,to the top of the pass and my Alltrails map showed we did 8.2 mi with 2031 ft elevation. It took us under five hours with photo stops (we live in Breck, so elevation not huge issue). There are pit toilets at the trailhead.

Beautiful views throughout the trek from wildflowers, stream crossings, lakes to, mountains and of course marmots and more. Well marked trail, gradual climb and easy to find many campsites with amazing sights. Make sure to bring bug repellent.

This is a beautiful hike! We stopped for pictures often as the scenery is so gorgeous the entire way. Definitely bring bug spray, mosquitos were out in full force.

Easy to follow trail with lots of scenic views. Had to stop for pictures many times which translates to we were loving it!

We thoroughly enjoyed this trail. The climb alongside the creek was dotted with wildflowers, and the gorge and waterfalls were spectacular. We reached the lake, had lunch, and headed down, 5 hours including our photo stops.

Beautiful backpacking trip! Be ready for a climb and scenery you'll be in awww over. Pack bug repellant and a fishing pole! Go to lake 2 for great camping. There are lots of hidden spots to find.

URGENT! Don't forget to use mosquito repellent! Beautiful hike, the river, the lakes, specially the first one, beautiful scenery, it took us 1:45 to get to the top and 1:30 to go down, so yes a 4 hr hike... we had a wonderful time!

We only hiked to Missouri on 7/22/17. No spikes or shoes needed - side step trail for muddy sections if you care. However, there is a small amount by tributary at Missouri. Good fishing (small but fun). They catch on quick, so mix it up! Pistol Pete FTW.

This trail was great!!!

Did the loop this morning. If you do this, I highly recommend going clockwise. Luckily this is the way I decided to go.
The pass between Missouri and Blodgett Lakes is pretty snowy and difficult. I lost my way a few times, but had GPS to help me out. From the top of this pass all the way until the pass above Fancy lakes has no shade. Rest before there, so you don't have to in the sun.
The pass above Fancy Lakes is pretty much impassible going counterclockwise. Luckily going down was easy. VERY easy. I just put my feet in the pizza position and slid down the entire face. (HAHA AMGIE, I definitely saw a butt slide path, and used that for my shoe skiing.)
I screwed up and almost made it to Mulhall Lakes before realizing, but it was 9.33 miles and 2,489 ft elevation gain for me.

Did this with fancy pass. still lots of snow in mid July. Trails hard to follow at the top but beautiful and so nice to hike next to the stream!