Missouri Lakes and Fancy Lakes Loop Trail

Missouri Lakes and Fancy Lakes Loop Trail is a 7.5 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Red Cliff, Colorado that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until September.

All the good of Colorado. Even the drive, while a little rough is 5 star.

This is my all time favorite hike in the Vail area, for all the reasons listed below. And it is more like 10 miles than 7.5. Fancy is 2,000 vert gain in 2.3 miles, and the best way to start. Awesome!

We hiked up to Fancy Lake, over Fancy Pass and Missouri Pass, and through the Missouri Lakes.

Having done many hikes in the area, this was hands down the most beautiful I've experienced yet. Endless lakes, wild flowers and gorgeous peaks.

Our trip logged more around 11 miles. Very glad we started up Fancy because it was a shorter -- however steeper -- hike up, and everything was very easy from there on out.

If you have the endurance and lots of snacks and water, very worth the day!

Hiked to Fancy Lake and back today at 3:47pm. Found purple indian paintbrush near the lake and watched the rainbow trout jumping and swimming! Awesome!

First off, Id say this is a beautiful hike and relatively challenging. The most challenging part for me was dealing with the altitude. I just came in 2 days ago from Los Angeles and being at 10,000-12,500 ft above sea level destroyed me with headaches and nausea the entire way down.

I started up Fancy Pass Trail, and the trail gets confusing near the first lake, Fancy Lake. The trail seemed to continue around the lake to the left but actually the trail continues up to Fancy Pass to the right of the lake. Keep this in mind!

After Fancy Pass and looping around to Missouri Lakes I ended up taking what I thought was the trail (and it was well traveled) until it brought me to a dead end. There was no trail in site. I bush whacked, following the stream down, until I finally ran into the trail 30 minutes later. So be careful!

The trail up to Missouri Lakes gets five stars in my book, following a stream with cascades and waterfalls to high mountain lakes (with decent fishing). The trail down from Fancy Lake rates four stars as it doesn't follow the stream too closely and is basically a walk in the woods.

Fantastic adventure! Just make sure you check with rangers to see that it's open. I went in June and it was completely snow covered and had to use a topo map to make the loop.

Amazing must do trail, but it is mislabeled here as easy. It is a combination of two moderate trails, so that's not possible. I think it's more in line with Gore Lake trail (a hard rating) or Pitkin Lake, Deluge lake...

Spectacular hike, but not easy. Took us about 7 hours, traveled through some soft snow. Amazing views, flowers and lakes.

Wednesday, August 13, 2014