Millset Trail

Millset Trail is a 6.5 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Rye, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Nice infrequently used trail, maybe only 2-3 people per week so you'll probably have it to yourself! I hiked it 11/2017, very few down trees until the last half mile, even then it wasn't bad. It's a steady climb but trail conditions are good, not too muck rock, steepest section is the first half mile. At about 0.75 mile stay left, there's another trail/road that could be confusing. No water anywhere on the trail until you turn around, nice creek there. There is a dirt floor cabin, no door but a good roof in case you wanted to camp and it was rainy, at the trail end. Lots of wildlife in the evening, good birds and a few mile deer. Just a couple ok views, not great for that. Could be confusing if there was much snow, it's not blazed.

there seems to be some confusion on the mileage....10 miles or 6.5 as All Trails states/ I have hiked this numerous times and it is rough...but it comes out at some beautiful views...I like it in the snow better. I will be going again this weekend which is 7-8-17. see you all on the trail.

This was a beautiful hike! However, it was very very difficult. There were a lot of fallen trees and it was very steep. Also, this says it's 6.5 miles, but it's closer to 10 miles. I work out daily and this was pretty challenging for a day hike.

Great hike; however, it is very steep uphill, pretty strenuous. Be prepared with lots of water and time. Loose rocks and lots of downed trees, but pretty meadows and great views at a few points. Six of us did it in around 6 hours roundtrip, and we all workout daily and consider ourselves in shape, but was still pretty tough going up!

this is fun. ..trees down. ..be careful

This was a great hike! We didn't complete it due to taking our 7-year old - that was a bit long for her. But I think we made it about 2/3 of the way before turning around. We will definitely go back when it's just the adults. Beautiful scenery and wonderful peace and quiet.

it was fun & pretty & we hiked in a snow storm on 4-22-17 in knee deep snow. lots of trees down on the trail.

Wednesday, October 05, 2016

It's a workout! Hiked this trail with a group of coworkers/friends, it was all up hill (at least the 3 mile we hiked)! We are weekend warrior hikers and it was a challenging hike. One guy said "My lungs were burning on the way up and my knees were aching on the way down!" There are some overlooks with beautiful views and some pretty meadows to stop and rest. Trees were starting to change color. Parking lot is small but you can also park on the road.

Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Beautiful wildflowers, an abundance of butterflies and a very worthwhile end point. Enjoyed the well marked trail! Pretty rocky and times, could be an issue for some pups!

Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Sunday, May 29, 2016

Fun little trail. We didn't quite make it to the cabin at the end, too much recent snow made following the trail a bit difficult. However, we will be back!

Saturday, May 28, 2016

Absolutely gorgeous! Mostly uphill but we'll worth the effort. Didn't make it to cabin, too much snow that high...will definitely be back!

Thursday, April 14, 2016

Nice trail. Easy to follow. Lots of shade. Greats views as you get higher. We did about 2.5 miles each way. Would have gone further but ran into a lot of snow packs as we got higher. We were not geared for that. Will come back some time.

Thursday, April 07, 2016

Surprisingly decent trail with some pretty awesome views of the Eastern Plains and the Pikes Peak region. Elevation gain isn't too bad as long as one keeps a good pace. I live in Colorado City and hike the Wet Mountains almost daily; that being said, this trail is a new favorite for sure. I'll definitely be going back soon.

Sunday, October 04, 2015

Enjoyed our first walk up the Millset starting at Hwy 165 trailhead. We only walked to the power lines and trail looked like it ended so we turned around.
We will be going back to finish it.

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Nice exercise on my lunch break.

Wednesday, August 05, 2015

We only did 4 miles of the trail. 2 miles all up hill, 2 miles back. It was a good incline, but tiring. We saw a large buck and a skunk! Beautiful view at the 2 mile point and beautiful meadows.

Thursday, July 02, 2015

Does anyone know the history of the Outpost Cabin? (The Hut) I always thought it was owned by YMCA Camp Jackson. (Crockett)

Saturday, June 21, 2014

Not a bad hike. However, this was an 8 mile round trip hike. Uphill the for the first 3.5 miles. When you get to the stream, you need to cross to get to the hut. It's tough, but fun.