Millset Trail is a 6.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Rye, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 6.5 miles Elevation Gain: 2,739 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Very enjoyable trail, the incline isn't too demanding for most of the way. There's still a little bit of snow higher up past the views but it's definitely manageable to walk around. The trail does get a bit sparse higher up but there's pink tags on the trees that show the way very accurately. The cabin and creek at the end were great, would be a fun one night backpacking trip.

hi! just hiked this trail to the powerlines and back.i am seeing alot of info regarding cabins,creeks,etc... beyond this.where to find more info where these places are?

excellent

Most excellent scary trail!!

We were glad someone before us marked the trail, especially up high where there was less traffic and more snow. This isn't a long hike but it's a fairly intense climb the whole way, so be ready for that. Great views in a couple of places. Water at the end of the hike if you or the animals need a refill. Camping opportunity at the cabin at the end of the trail. Enjoy

The trail was nice, didn't see anyone else on it. Lowe down the trial is on a South facing ridge, and gots warm fast, but higher up still has a lot of snow.

This was my first trail EVER, and I did it solo. It was a beautiful morning hike, didnt record the distance, wish i would have. Had to turn back about half way, according to the map, the downed trees and snow gave me a hell of a time! I am going to make it to the cabin, gonna wait a few weeks and ill be at this again.

Sat Apr 27 2019

I made it about halfway (1.75 miles) before admitting to myself I wasn't going to get to the top. I was starting to encounter more and more snow and trees; I imagine those only got worse higher up. On the way back down on the switchbacks near the trailhead, I slipped on loose rocks a couple times. Other than loose rocks and the fallen trees, the trail was easy to follow and well-maintained. Not any great views but lots of birds.

Sat Apr 20 2019

only walked for and hour.

Mon Sep 17 2018

seems to be some confusion regarding the length of this trail so let me see if I can clear things up a bit. First of all, it is ALL uphill... so don't expect any relief from the climb. You will climb 6 miles, then... you climb down approximately .2 miles... that is 2 tenths of a mile, very short... then you have to cross the creek and go right... about another 100 yards you will find the cabin that was built in 1939. It has some things in it... no door... good place to overnight with an adequate fireplace and fire pit outside. Right next to the creek with some great bathing pools. Now... if you can find it, the trail keeps going passed the cabin. Look for green, pink, red ribbons and also the stacked rocks every now and then, cross a very small skree field and keep going another couple of miles and you will end up on the forest service road. The best part of this is getting to the cabin by the creek... it is worth it... especially if you stay the night and actually use the cabin. Important to remember is that it is ALL UPHILL... so do not think that the uphill hike will end... because it won't. I was there today and fixed the mantels in the lantern, installed new ones. Please do not touch the mantels when lighting them. That is not how they work... you will ruin the new ones and then the next campers will have no lantern. Also, the propane tank that feeds the lantern is full now so it all works. Dry matches and Firestarter fatwood is in the dry clear container on the shelf. Please respect the cabin so others can enjoy it too. Cheers.

Sun Aug 26 2018

this is a strenuous hike I would rate this hike as moderate to hard. beautiful scenery stsrted at 1040 hiked half way and were back down by 1.,

Sun Jul 15 2018

Only went in the first mile or so. Steep so very challenging Parking is sketchy. We overnight camped on the first flat area in which was very nice with a great view.

Thu Jun 21 2018

The trail was very nice for us on our horses, although rocky in places. Shoes would be a necessity. Once you climb up about 3 miles or so you enter a very pretty aspen grove. The parking situation, however, was pretty scary. The pull off is immediately past the turn to Mears Junction on the west side of the road, and east to miss. However, the turn out is between blind curves from both directions. Our horses are used to traffic but it was still concerning. I chose to continue further south to Poncha Pass to turn around vs attempting a U turn. It appears the trail goes both east and west of the highway, but we followed the trail to the east thus necessitating crossing the highway.

Sun Jun 10 2018

Nice hike. 2700 vertical is a good indicator of the difficulty. I would rate it more on the strenuous side. Lot of bears too.

Mon Apr 23 2018

This trail is heavily wooded and has a bit of downed timber. Not a super easy hike, but very enjoyable none the less. The 6.5 miles in is well rewarded once you reach the creek and cabin at the end of the trail. Great place for an overnight trip, but doable in a single day. I hiked this trail yesterday in 2.5 hours round trip.

Fri Apr 20 2018

Can you camp overnight on this trail?

Sun Apr 15 2018

Beautiful area and not very busy on a Saturday morning or afternoon. Most of the trail had tree cover, sunscreen optional. Some of the trail near the 3 mile mark was hard to follow due to all the downed trees. Did the trail in April and did run into some snow/ice, however easy to get around it. If you are a backpacker, saw two camping spots, marked them both on my recordings with pictures. AllTrails does not have a way to communicate with other outdoor enthusiast, I can be reached on Facebook Messenger if you have any questions about this trail.

Sun Mar 18 2018

Loved it

Mon Nov 06 2017

Nice infrequently used trail, maybe only 2-3 people per week so you'll probably have it to yourself! I hiked it 11/2017, very few down trees until the last half mile, even then it wasn't bad. It's a steady climb but trail conditions are good, not too muck rock, steepest section is the first half mile. At about 0.75 mile stay left, there's another trail/road that could be confusing. No water anywhere on the trail until you turn around, nice creek there. There is a dirt floor cabin, no door but a good roof in case you wanted to camp and it was rainy, at the trail end. Lots of wildlife in the evening, good birds and a few mile deer. Just a couple ok views, not great for that. Could be confusing if there was much snow, it's not blazed.

Fri Jul 07 2017

there seems to be some confusion on the mileage....10 miles or 6.5 as All Trails states/ I have hiked this numerous times and it is rough...but it comes out at some beautiful views...I like it in the snow better. I will be going again this weekend which is 7-8-17. see you all on the trail.

Sat Jul 01 2017

This was a beautiful hike! However, it was very very difficult. There were a lot of fallen trees and it was very steep. Also, this says it's 6.5 miles, but it's closer to 10 miles. I work out daily and this was pretty challenging for a day hike.

Sun Jun 11 2017

Great hike; however, it is very steep uphill, pretty strenuous. Be prepared with lots of water and time. Loose rocks and lots of downed trees, but pretty meadows and great views at a few points. Six of us did it in around 6 hours roundtrip, and we all workout daily and consider ourselves in shape, but was still pretty tough going up!

Sat Jun 10 2017

this is fun. ..trees down. ..be careful

Mon May 15 2017

This was a great hike! We didn't complete it due to taking our 7-year old - that was a bit long for her. But I think we made it about 2/3 of the way before turning around. We will definitely go back when it's just the adults. Beautiful scenery and wonderful peace and quiet.

Tue Apr 25 2017

it was fun & pretty & we hiked in a snow storm on 4-22-17 in knee deep snow. lots of trees down on the trail.

Wed Oct 05 2016

It's a workout! Hiked this trail with a group of coworkers/friends, it was all up hill (at least the 3 mile we hiked)! We are weekend warrior hikers and it was a challenging hike. One guy said "My lungs were burning on the way up and my knees were aching on the way down!" There are some overlooks with beautiful views and some pretty meadows to stop and rest. Trees were starting to change color. Parking lot is small but you can also park on the road.

Tue Jul 19 2016

Beautiful wildflowers, an abundance of butterflies and a very worthwhile end point. Enjoyed the well marked trail! Pretty rocky and times, could be an issue for some pups!

Sun May 29 2016

Fun little trail. We didn't quite make it to the cabin at the end, too much recent snow made following the trail a bit difficult. However, we will be back!

Sat May 28 2016

Absolutely gorgeous! Mostly uphill but we'll worth the effort. Didn't make it to cabin, too much snow that high...will definitely be back!

Thu Apr 14 2016

Nice trail. Easy to follow. Lots of shade. Greats views as you get higher. We did about 2.5 miles each way. Would have gone further but ran into a lot of snow packs as we got higher. We were not geared for that. Will come back some time.