Mills Lake via Glacier Gorge Trail

Mills Lake via Glacier Gorge Trail is a 5.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Estes Park, Colorado that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from April until September.

Another MUST HIKE in RMNP! Its is a MODERATE hike for families and an EASY hike for experienced hikers. Less crowded than Emerald Lake, but still busy mid-day. There is some sun exposure mid-hike so plan for sunscreen. Bugs were not really an issue for us. The mileage is a little off... more along the 7 mile round trip for us according to the app, but we tend to explore a little. Parking is rare after 7am in the summer. Enjoy!

Mills lake is one of the best thing to see around that area. Do it! If the hike is too short, easy to add more. But this is the minimum!

This was the first hike my wife and I have done and it was an amazing trip! You end up reaching Alberta Falls rather soon along the hike, which is great. The day we decided to go was a rather cold and VERY windy day. Several times we had to take a knee to avoid being blown over by some brutal wind gusts. But it was worth fighting the winds for the amazing views that awaited us around almost every turn!

Once we arrived at the lake, there were more than enough flat rocks for us to perch upon and enjoy a packed lunch and regain our strength for the hike back.

There were a couple spots right before reaching the lake that already had some ice, but even with tennis shoes I was able to navigate the trail just fine. Also, although we did see a couple with a large breed dog walking back to their vehicle when my wife and I first arrived to the start of the trail, we did not encounter anyone else with pets so it is safe to say pets are not allowed on this trail.

This was a nice hike. Went on 12/5, it was very windy and cold. Didn't need snowshoes, but I would recommend micro-spikes. Though I did see someone wearing only sneakers. Snow packed with ice in spots. Relaxing and beautiful.

Saturday, August 27, 2016