Mills Lake, Black Lake, Frozen Lake Trail

Mills Lake, Black Lake, Frozen Lake Trail is a 11.4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Estes Park, Colorado that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until November. Horses are also able to use this trail.

Take Hwy. 36 out of Estes Park to RMNP entrance, then go to Bear Lake Rd. and follow it to Glacier Gorge TH.

Just went to Black Lake and holy cow it was gorgeous!! Only microspikes necessary (1/4/18) on most of the trail. We got off on a different trail split off on the descent from Black to Jewel and that one had us post holing waist deep in certain spots. Windy at the top but beautiful otherwise. Took us 5.5 hrs with plenty of stops for photos and to mozy out on the frozen lakes.

Hiked to Black Lake yesterday from Glacier Gorge Trailhead just below Bear Lake. The trail was snow covered the entire way to Mills Lake, except for a couple small bare areas exposed to sun/win. Snow on the trail was packed pretty well so I was fine with micro spikes all the way to Jewel Lake. Once past Jewel the trail pretty much disappeared into deep powder and snow drifts. I wouldn't have gotten any farther than Jewel without snowshoes and poles. I followed where i knew the trial to be as best i could, the snow was thigh deep in places. The falls were weren't bad to get up, but again traction and snow shoes were necessary. Weather was sunny and beautiful, cold when you stopped for very long and really windy up high and at all three lakes. The wind has probably erased some portions of the trail but at least 5 other hikers headed up too, so the trail might be fairly obvious in places. Once back down to Mills I ditched the snowshoes for micro spikes and got down easily. Not too busy, great day.

I went two weeks ago. The trail was icy and/or snowy in most sections. I wore micro spikes and had no difficulty. It’s a very beautiful hike especially going down glacier gorge to Mill and Jewel lakes. I turned back after Jewel due to time constraints. It was one of the nicest hikes I’ve done at the park.

Went up to upper Glacier Gorge yesterday to get some shots of a frozen Black Lake. Definitely need traction devices and snowshoes are wise. I didn't have any and postholed quite a bit as I got closer to Black Lake. Winds were fierce and the gusts were super strong. Still had a blast.

This was my first and probably favorite hike from my trip to RMNF. It was filled with gorgeous views throughout and once you get to the lake, it is so peaceful and quiet. We had our lunch on a rock around the lake, would definitely recommend if you're in Estes Park!

We only hiked to Mills Lake and it was beautiful! It was actually the first hike we did in RMNP and it set the standard so high! The trail isn't too crowded and once you get to the lake there is so much room spread out away from the rest of the people. I would definitely recommend packing a lunch and have a little picnic on one of the huge rocks by the lake! We posted about this hike on our hiking Instagram page @pathsandpourovers if you want to check it out more!

I only hiked to Black Lake but the hike was great. There wasn't snow on the ground until the last 300 feet to Black Lake which was all uphill. I found my spikes useful when climbing down but it was doable without. The views of Mills Lake and Black Lake were unbelievable.

The hike to Mills Lake was outstanding, the hike up to the lake wasn't too bad, a few ice patches here and there but overall not too bad. The views of the lake were unbelievable. A must do if you're in Estes.

Loved this hike. Beautiful views all the way. Some ice made going up slippery and coming down I decided to do one patch on my butt. Was fun and Wells Lake is a prize at the end.

One of the best hikes I've ever done. Didn't make it to the third lake because of snow/ice, but I'll be back!

Beautiful views. Great for beginners and seasoned hikers.

Beautiful hike! We are novice hikers, and hit this trail on our second day in Colorado. As suggested, we sipped water along the way and took the trail slow, which was good because it was icy on the way up and slushy and slippery on the way down with the ice melting. Definitely a moderate hike, but the views all along the way of the snow topped mountains made every step worth it. Beautiful prize at end of hike with Mills Lake. Didn’t go any further because of time of days, but definitely want to come back later on

My favorite hike in all of Colorado. Breathtaking.

Amazingly beautiful. Get there as early as possible to beat the completely unprepared crowds. As you make your way back, be careful not to trip over any dehydrated bodies wearing tight jeans and flip flops who gave up on life 20 minutes into the hike. The farther you go, the fewer people you'll encounter and the visuals get better and better. 5 stars - 1 for the hordes of ill prepared.

We planned on going to Mills due to lack of elevation fitness and general fitness but the crowds and the good weather pushed us up the mountain. So glad we did. The views were magnificent.

Great panoramic views at the lake!

Gorgeous hike! Get there early. We arrived at 6:30 in the morning and didn't get a spot at the first lot!!!

Beautiful hike. Very doable with a great end

Beautiful hike. Very doable with a great end

Mills Lake is fantastic - highly recommended for a short to moderate hike. Black Lake was also beautiful, and the elevation gain to both points was totally manageable; didn't feel too steep. The trail has a lot of downed trees and mud after Mills Lake, but the path has been well cleared. We continued on to Frozen Lake after Black, but lost the faint trail at some point. We ended up scrambling up close to The Spearhead, and I think we saw Frozen Lake from afar/above. I believe we went the wrong way after scrambling through the creek crossing. Beautiful area! Would like to go back one day (maybe when the trail is better marked?) and see Frozen Lake up close.