Mills Lake, Black Lake, Frozen Lake Trail

Mills Lake, Black Lake, Frozen Lake Trail is a 11.4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Estes Park, Colorado that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until November. Horses are also able to use this trail.

Take Hwy. 36 out of Estes Park to RMNP entrance, then go to Bear Lake Rd. and follow it to Glacier Gorge TH.

11/18/17: Mills Lake Trail:

Challenging but rewarding; The weather was brutal but the views were amazing. I went on a very windy day and still had a blast. Snow up to my knees and we still saw people hiking their way up in just tennis shoes and sweatshirts. The temp with the windchill had to be in the single digits; I couldn't believe their determination.

Will be back.

This was my first and probably favorite hike from my trip to RMNF. It was filled with gorgeous views throughout and once you get to the lake, it is so peaceful and quiet. We had our lunch on a rock around the lake, would definitely recommend if you're in Estes Park!

We only hiked to Mills Lake and it was beautiful! It was actually the first hike we did in RMNP and it set the standard so high! The trail isn't too crowded and once you get to the lake there is so much room spread out away from the rest of the people. I would definitely recommend packing a lunch and have a little picnic on one of the huge rocks by the lake! We posted about this hike on our hiking Instagram page @pathsandpourovers if you want to check it out more!

I only hiked to Black Lake but the hike was great. There wasn't snow on the ground until the last 300 feet to Black Lake which was all uphill. I found my spikes useful when climbing down but it was doable without. The views of Mills Lake and Black Lake were unbelievable.

The hike to Mills Lake was outstanding, the hike up to the lake wasn't too bad, a few ice patches here and there but overall not too bad. The views of the lake were unbelievable. A must do if you're in Estes.

Loved this hike. Beautiful views all the way. Some ice made going up slippery and coming down I decided to do one patch on my butt. Was fun and Wells Lake is a prize at the end.

One of the best hikes I've ever done. Didn't make it to the third lake because of snow/ice, but I'll be back!

Beautiful views. Great for beginners and seasoned hikers.

Beautiful hike! We are novice hikers, and hit this trail on our second day in Colorado. As suggested, we sipped water along the way and took the trail slow, which was good because it was icy on the way up and slushy and slippery on the way down with the ice melting. Definitely a moderate hike, but the views all along the way of the snow topped mountains made every step worth it. Beautiful prize at end of hike with Mills Lake. Didn’t go any further because of time of days, but definitely want to come back later on

My favorite hike in all of Colorado. Breathtaking.