Mills Lake, Black Lake, Frozen Lake Trail

Mills Lake, Black Lake, Frozen Lake Trail is a 11.4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Estes Park, Colorado that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until November. Horses are also able to use this trail.

Take Hwy. 36 out of Estes Park to RMNP entrance, then go to Bear Lake Rd. and follow it to Glacier Gorge TH.

The way up to black lake from Mills is harder than what I thought. A 2 miles trail took me 2 hours but at least it was rewarding! Before reaching Mills lake, there was a awesome view from the unique U shape valley and longs peak, defiantly worth the time!!!

First hike of the Rockies. Beautiful views, glacier gorge was amazing, Mills lake was amazing.

Awesome. I really really wish i wasn't on a time crunch when i got up there. i was only afforded about 5 min to stay. i could have spent hrs up there. i lt was really cloudy and rainy but that didn't detract, i felt like i was in a scene from one of my favorite books, Sword of Shannara. next time i am at RMNP this will be my first place to go then i can go up higher as well. Thank you to whoever i ran into at emerald lake that said make the time and go.

Absolutely breathtaking views once you make it to Frozen lake!

Beautiful lakes and high country scenery. There still snow as you approach Black lake and on the steep path towards Frozen Lake. Those that had microspikes on felt much more confident of their steps than those that didn't!

Hiked on June 28, 2017. It's a great hike into Black Lake however the last mile was on almost solid snow banks which were very steep in spots. Many people I saw were just using hiking shoes/boots. I had my poles and chains on my boots which was a big help. Would not have done well without them. As alway hiking along the shore of Mills lake is a treat and very beautiful. Saw three groups of elk with several spotted calves. The portion of trail that goes through the blowdown is used by the elk and I walked right up behind three that were in the trail grazing. They didn't seem to mind at all and took their time moving on. A group of 8 elk were right at Black lake when I arrived. They were not bothered by my presence either. The streams are roaring with rushing water. Enjoy your hike if you go and remember to leave only tracks behind.

We only went to Mills Lake since we had already hiked to Loch Lake. It was worth it...very beautiful! We ran into a little bit of snow. Snow cleats were not needed, but we used them since we had them with us for the downhill patches.