Mill-Castle Trail

Mill-Castle Trail is a 25.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Gunnison, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, and backpacking and is best used from June until September.

Distance: 25.1 miles Elevation Gain: 6,902 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Colorado Tourism Office, 1625 Broadway, Suite 1700 , Denver, CO, 80202, Phone: 800-COLORADO

This trail is wonderful. We didn’t have an AWD or high clearance vehicle so we couldn’t drive all the way to the trailhead. There’s an area off 727 with parking and a bathroom about 1.5 miles before the actual trailhead where we started from and this didn’t detract from the hike. The views even just a mile in are incredible and there’s a fair bit of shade. It was a little muddy in spots, but it had just rained that morning. Definitely will be back to cover even more.

I did this trail on July 3, 2019 and only saw 3 other people. My husband and I parked at the upper lot, past the bathroom, and hiked for about 1.5 miles in. At this point the trail opens up into a breathtaking meadow with 360 views. Truly stunning!!! The trail appears to continue to the right and requires that you cross a stream. However we could not find a place to cross since the stream was running pretty good due to recent rain. I’m guessing the rocks others use to cross were under water so we turned around. Bring bug spray!

Insane views along every stretch of this hike. We hiked only 3.5 miles in due to time. Beyond that point there was avalanche damage, but you could scramble over and find the trail again. We had to take our shoes off to pass through the knee high water in the stream at one point, but it was doable. There were many mosquitos for the first 2ish miles along the stream. The canyon walls and rock formations were worth every minute of this hike. Our total time out was 3 hours with a little trail running involved. We hope to backpack and do the full trail someday!

Went Sunday June 23, 2019. Hiked 6 miles out, then came back down. About mile 4, the snow became a thing, and the trail was obscured enough that we did a bit of hunting around for the trail. Definitely recommend downloading the alltrails map to use offline with GPS. Miles 4 to 6.4 were tough going. There had been an avalanche at some point and so a lot of places on the trail were totally covered over by down trees and branches. This was a hard hike. Now that said... Wow! How beautiful! The views were amazing. The temp was cool and nice. Plenty of water all along the trail. The mountains were stunning. The sheer faces of some of the higher mountain faces were off the charts. Great trail. Eat your Wheaties.

My husband and I hiked only about 2 miles of this trail last week (middle of October) as it was a little sloppy and slick following first snowfall of season. It was absolutely beautiful though. We began at the trailhead (it’s further in than the parking/restrooms) and walked through aspen groves until it opened onto a very lovely valley with spectacular rock formations surrounding it. We missed the changing of the aspens by a few weeks but could imagine how breathtaking this trail would be at that time! Since we only hiked a few miles of this trail, we drove to see The Castles. Spectacular!

Saturday, August 11, 2018

We did a portion of this hike as a day trip, starting at the trail head and turning around at the camp site near the large waterfall, about six miles from the trail head. We were walking on a weekday in July and only saw a handful of other people all day (two small groups of backpackers on their way up in the afternoon as we were coming down). Despite the dry weather, there was still some flowing water in most, but not all of the side drainages, which came in handy to refill our filtered water bottles. Note that the road between the rest room/parking area and the trailhead was doable with a garden variety small SUV, but lower clearance cars would struggle, in my opinion. The entire hike is amazingly beautiful, from the stunning rock formations to the stands of aspen to the meadows. Can’t wait to come back here and go for the pass next time!

Friday, June 29, 2018

I hiked this the 3rd week in June. I started up the trail late in the afternoon with my backpack and after a couple of miles, found a place to set up my tent next to the creek just below the gate. It was a nice spot but I probably would have gone farther that first day if I had known there were so many great spots to camp. The next morning, I hiked up to storm pass. Lots of elevation,but excellent views: wildlife, several waterfalls, and very few people. I sat up on Storm Pass for quite a while just taking in the views. I hiked back down and packed up my camp because I decided I wanted to camp at the lovely meadow by the creek under the huge aspens. I was visited by some free range cows that night before sundown. The next morning, I unzipped my tent to spot a big black bear down by the creek. He just lumbered up into the trees, but I was glad I hung my food the night before. This is an enchanting strenuous hike. I cant wait to do it again.

Monday, June 04, 2018

Hiked this trail to high point on June 3. Still spectacular with lots of water and waterfalls. Snow in upper basin still present but clearing and not a trail obstacle.

Monday, May 21, 2018

25 miles in and out? or just 25 miles straight in and 25 miles back??

Tuesday, May 30, 2017

Hiking to Storm Pass via the Mill Castle Trail is otherworldly. The view of the Castles is dauntingly beautiful. This hike in the autumn is pristine though be wary that there is some elevation re-gain on the way back.

Sunday, September 18, 2016

Amazing views, great fall color! Didn't hike the whole thing, just wanted an afternoon hike so I went up to the first ridge--where you pop up over the valley you've been hiking in until then.

Monday, September 28, 2015

Tough as it gets steep. Beautiful in fall.

Thursday, June 25, 2015

How was it you might ask? It is an amazing day hike for any one. You can hike to a meadow, and turn around or hike till the trail ends. Both choices are perfect for this hike, and no matter your means of transportation you won't miss the view.

Monday, October 27, 2014

Mill Castle is a steep trail, I suggest going in from the south, and up to Storm Pass. The Views from Storm Pass are excellent, North and South. The Northern end of the trail was full of cattle grazing, with a lot of manure to avoid at lower elevations. We saw a herd of 100+ elk just south/west of Storm Pass, and several mule deer.

Thursday, May 24, 2018