Learn more

Mill-Castle Trail is a 25.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Gunnison, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until September.

Length 25.1 mi Elevation gain 6,902 ft Route type Out & Back
Backpacking Camping Hiking Snowshoeing Running Cave Views Wild flowers Wildlife Bugs Snow
Waypoints (0)
Contact
Getting There

Colorado Tourism Office, 1625 Broadway, Suite 1700 , Denver, CO, 80202, Phone: 800-COLORADO

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (38)
Photos (60)
Recordings (25)
Completed (65)
Sarah Olsen
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 12, 2020
BackpackingGreat!
Megan Flanagan
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSeptember 12, 2020
Hiking

Muddy from the melting snow and the first few miles had a lot of debris. It was absolutely gorgeous and I can’t wait to go back! Only went about 5 miles in and turned back but definitely want to add storm pass to the hike next time!

View Megan's Recording
Laura Barkocy
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 6, 2020
Hiking

Went 3 miles in.. Awesome trail, beautiful scenery. Lots of shade. Dog loved all the water springs. Will definitely do again and go further in.

View Laura's Recording
Margot Sacco
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 4, 2020
Hiking

One of the most beautiful hikes I’ve ever done, and my 3.5 yr old and I only went a mile in! Very remote location but a nice wide trail through tall pines and aspen with peeks out to a stunning view of the castle-like rock formations. Says ‘difficult’ and I’m sure it gets to be but the first mile is a pretty mild incline and worked for me and my little kids (we stopped and had a picnic right off the trail at the 1.2 mile lookout). No highway noise at all! Can’t recommend enough. Hiked late August

Cord Jennings
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 25, 2020
HikingGreat!
View Cord's Recording
Ali Smith
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 15, 2020
HikingGreat!

I cannot emphasize how much I enjoyed this hike. Though I did get caught in a hail/thunder storm, this hike was otherwise perfection. Waterfalls, flower fields as high as my shoulders. Gorgeous views

Spencer Harper
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMay 1, 2020
HikingBlowdownMuddySnow

Did this one in April, bring snowshoes! Had the forest to myself. The trail is very hard to follow since everything is covered in a few feet of snow, but with patience & some back tracking it's a beautiful peaceful hike & definitely a work out.

Matthew Hurst
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 19, 2019
HikingBlowdownSnow

Among the best weekends I’ve had. Didn’t continue past the “summit” but saw a lot from there. Perfect campsites along the stream. The picturesque waterfall on your right as you ascend (now mostly ice but still flowing) is your last chance to filter or camp comfortably below the tree line. Challenging and truly rewarding, people love to do 14ers but for me, this is the tops. Streams, forests, alpine, dramatic rock faces. Didn’t hurt that I got a few inches of snow up there. Love it!

Robert Foster
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 20, 2019
Hiking

Awesome hike. My wife and I walked in just 3.25 miles. We turned around at the green gate. It looked like the hike was going to get much more difficult from this point on. You will see some of the most beautiful scenery Colorado offers. We only ran into five others on the trail. The water crossings were very simple. The many aspen groves will be spectacular in a couple weeks. Early October is my guess. I drove my Jaguar SUV all the way to the trail head and there was plenty of parking there. I highly recommend this hike. Hope to make it to the top next year.

View Robert's Recording
Caleb Gutierrez
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 17, 2019
HikingMuddy

This trail is wonderful. We didn’t have an AWD or high clearance vehicle so we couldn’t drive all the way to the trailhead. There’s an area off 727 with parking and a bathroom about 1.5 miles before the actual trailhead where we started from and this didn’t detract from the hike. The views even just a mile in are incredible and there’s a fair bit of shade. It was a little muddy in spots, but it had just rained that morning. Definitely will be back to cover even more.

Meaghan O’Donnell
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 15, 2019
HikingBugs

I did this trail on July 3, 2019 and only saw 3 other people. My husband and I parked at the upper lot, past the bathroom, and hiked for about 1.5 miles in. At this point the trail opens up into a breathtaking meadow with 360 views. Truly stunning!!! The trail appears to continue to the right and requires that you cross a stream. However we could not find a place to cross since the stream was running pretty good due to recent rain. I’m guessing the rocks others use to cross were under water so we turned around. Bring bug spray!

Kelsey Steward
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 6, 2019
HikingBugs

Insane views along every stretch of this hike. We hiked only 3.5 miles in due to time. Beyond that point there was avalanche damage, but you could scramble over and find the trail again. We had to take our shoes off to pass through the knee high water in the stream at one point, but it was doable. There were many mosquitos for the first 2ish miles along the stream. The canyon walls and rock formations were worth every minute of this hike. Our total time out was 3 hours with a little trail running involved. We hope to backpack and do the full trail someday!

View Kelsey's Recording
Adam Calvery
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 23, 2019
Hiking

Went Sunday June 23, 2019. Hiked 6 miles out, then came back down. About mile 4, the snow became a thing, and the trail was obscured enough that we did a bit of hunting around for the trail. Definitely recommend downloading the alltrails map to use offline with GPS. Miles 4 to 6.4 were tough going. There had been an avalanche at some point and so a lot of places on the trail were totally covered over by down trees and branches. This was a hard hike. Now that said... Wow! How beautiful! The views were amazing. The temp was cool and nice. Plenty of water all along the trail. The mountains were stunning. The sheer faces of some of the higher mountain faces were off the charts. Great trail. Eat your Wheaties.

View Adam's Recording
Jennifer Clark Washer
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 24, 2018

My husband and I hiked only about 2 miles of this trail last week (middle of October) as it was a little sloppy and slick following first snowfall of season. It was absolutely beautiful though. We began at the trailhead (it’s further in than the parking/restrooms) and walked through aspen groves until it opened onto a very lovely valley with spectacular rock formations surrounding it. We missed the changing of the aspens by a few weeks but could imagine how breathtaking this trail would be at that time! Since we only hiked a few miles of this trail, we drove to see The Castles. Spectacular!

David Murray
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 11, 2018
Hiking

We did a portion of this hike as a day trip, starting at the trail head and turning around at the camp site near the large waterfall, about six miles from the trail head. We were walking on a weekday in July and only saw a handful of other people all day (two small groups of backpackers on their way up in the afternoon as we were coming down). Despite the dry weather, there was still some flowing water in most, but not all of the side drainages, which came in handy to refill our filtered water bottles. Note that the road between the rest room/parking area and the trailhead was doable with a garden variety small SUV, but lower clearance cars would struggle, in my opinion. The entire hike is amazingly beautiful, from the stunning rock formations to the stands of aspen to the meadows. Can’t wait to come back here and go for the pass next time!

Terri Johnson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 29, 2018

I hiked this the 3rd week in June. I started up the trail late in the afternoon with my backpack and after a couple of miles, found a place to set up my tent next to the creek just below the gate. It was a nice spot but I probably would have gone farther that first day if I had known there were so many great spots to camp. The next morning, I hiked up to storm pass. Lots of elevation,but excellent views: wildlife, several waterfalls, and very few people. I sat up on Storm Pass for quite a while just taking in the views. I hiked back down and packed up my camp because I decided I wanted to camp at the lovely meadow by the creek under the huge aspens. I was visited by some free range cows that night before sundown. The next morning, I unzipped my tent to spot a big black bear down by the creek. He just lumbered up into the trees, but I was glad I hung my food the night before. This is an enchanting strenuous hike. I cant wait to do it again.

Slick User
Yellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarMay 21, 2018

25 miles in and out? or just 25 miles straight in and 25 miles back??

Skyler Stanley
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 30, 2017
Hiking

Hiking to Storm Pass via the Mill Castle Trail is otherworldly. The view of the Castles is dauntingly beautiful. This hike in the autumn is pristine though be wary that there is some elevation re-gain on the way back.

Carissa Callison
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 18, 2016
Hiking

Amazing views, great fall color! Didn't hike the whole thing, just wanted an afternoon hike so I went up to the first ridge--where you pop up over the valley you've been hiking in until then.

Garrett Mogel
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJune 25, 2015
Hiking

How was it you might ask? It is an amazing day hike for any one. You can hike to a meadow, and turn around or hike till the trail ends. Both choices are perfect for this hike, and no matter your means of transportation you won't miss the view.

Matt Dobson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 4, 2020
View Matt's Recording
T Commons
Gray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarSeptember 26, 2020
View T's Recording
Joe Druck
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 12, 2020
View Joe's Recording
Michael Miller
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 21, 2020
View Michael's Recording
George Griffin
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 11, 2020
View George's Recording
Corey Flannery
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 13, 2019
View Corey's Recording
Robert Foster
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 21, 2019