Middle St. Vrain Trail

Middle St. Vrain Trail is a 6.2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Lyons, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, running, camping, and ohv/off road driving and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 6.2 miles Elevation Gain: 702 feet Route Type: Out & Back

ohv / off road driving

NOTE: As of September 2019, access to the campground and trails are CLOSED due to bridge repairs. Please check with the park page for more information. There is a false start to this trail. Head to the Camp Dick campground and the trailhead is towards the back near the parking lot.

Lots of snow. The gate off of 72 is closed, so you can't drive to the usual parking area. Limited parking off the road. Conditions were good to start, the first bit of the trail had been packed down. Made it about 4.5 miles from the road before the drifts were too deep. Some trees had fallen over the trail along the way, lots of moose tracks

Access to campground and trails is closed due to bridge repair that started on Sept 3rd

ohv/off road driving

Hello! I couldn’t wait to get home and review this trail head. And not necessarily in the best way, LOL. First of all, there are bathrooms in the Camp Dick Campground... I can’t believe more people don’t point this out! Bathrooms are key, especially if you have to drive all the way there I need to relieve yourself before you hike so you have a nice hike! There is one down the road just lately from the start of the trail head. The main issue has to do with not finding the right place to go. As others have mentioned, there is a false start at the very beginning or you could tack on an extra mile. I guess it isn’t even necessarily false or a start, but it isn’t the official “true“ start of the trail head. There are about 3 to 4 cars parked there. We did follow one of the other reviewer‘s name Jewel who did say that you need to keep going farther into the Camp Dick campground and go to the back and there is a parking lot that is the start of the trail head… That was a huge help! Thanks Jewel. The other confusion lied in where exactly the trail was. As you start going up the road, it is a very wide service type road which I later found out was the 4WD Trail head. A little bit up the road there is a sign off to the right for “Buchanan Pass Trail No 910” ... I think that is the trail head! My friend and I made a mistake and went up the 4WD Trail… That was absolutely awful. So rocky… We thought that was the trail head so we wanted to keep going… And it got worse and worse. We went today August 17, and it was completely flooded as we started going up higher. So we retreated and went back towards the original fork in the road… That appears to be more of a trail head for people. The hike itself was OK… We didn’t go all the way since we did hike 3 miles on the 4WD Trail. It was uneventful. It is a nice wooded area and you could hear streams… However I didn’t see any special look out points, or anything that made me feel like it was a wonderful hike. We were a little bit irked that we didn’t go the correct direction at first but I didn’t see where anyone noted not to continue straight and to turn off to the right at the smaller area with the wooden sign. When we were tracking ourselves on all trails, it still showed we were on the right trail, but perhaps we needed to zoom in closer. Because the four-wheel-drive trail showed we were heading the right direction, but sadly we weren’t. I saw other people also walking up this trail and I think they realized in some cases they were going the wrong way, and then others they kept going. The dogs had fun which I consider the biggest success of the day… We hiked a total of 6.8 miles, but that was our own patchwork hike that we put together. Don’t make a mistake in going up the four-wheel-drive trail. It is extremely rocky and gets so muddy and out of control it is not worth it! Plus there were tons of Jeeps and ATVs. Yuck!

Great hike. We only did part way, but it was lovely.

8-13-19: great day for a hike. Saw a baby snake just as I was starting my run. No other reptiles or other wild animals seen during the 6.25 mile trek. Saw some fresh deer droppings on the trail and some elk (maybe moose) tracks. The trail continues beyond that recorded on the map. Turn-around point was approx. 5k.

Well traveled really beautiful trail. Lots of wildflowers, little elevation, very lush. It rained on us periodically, but it was nice.

We went today, which is Monday, and saw only a few other hikers. It’s a nice trail, with a gentle incline. The trail follows the creek, although not close enough for our dog, who really wanted to be near the water. The creek was fast and full, so it was ok not to be so close. The wildflowers are in full bloom right now. The trail has enough shade. At the turn-around point we kept going, walked past the bridge a little way, for about an extra mile total. Would be nice for a fall hike.

Hiked 06/09/19 trail was dry although the creek was raging. We’ve hiked this trail before and enjoyed it. This time We did about 4 miles RT. Great sights, sounds and smells. Our 11 year old son and dogs loved it! We did encounter a female moose, she made her presence known and we moved on. If you want a nice hike through the forest with the creek never far away this is it.

Husband and I did about 1/2 of the trail and back on Thursday, June 6th. The trail was mostly dry up until the halfway point. There the trail was completely submerged by running water. Up until that point, this trail was fairly flat with an elevation gain of about 58 feet, so fairly easy. It is a beautiful little hike with awesome views of the Middle St. Vrain River. The river was RAGING after all the rain this week, so quite spectacular!

Went about 3/4 of the way down this trail on Monday June 3rd and it was pretty dry! there are still some muddy spots but with and ability to hop around you can make it past it with clean shoes. The trail is very casual and easy. I only crossed paths with 3 small groups of ppl and found a nice spot off the trail to set up my hammock and enjoy the views and sounds of the river. I would do this trail again.

Good easy hike, however snow is still melting (currently 18+ inches in the low areas). Bring micro-spikes if you are able to. Expect very wet and muddy shoes once you are finished from the trail. Overall the hike was nice and easy with the stream near by, I will go back once the snow has fully melted. Very few people were seen. Expect moose and deer sightings. Parked outside of the closed campgrounds.

lots of snow. Very few people on the trail yesterday.

Mon Jan 14 2019

by far the easiest trail I've ever done

Sat Jan 05 2019

Used the trail to the Wilderness Boundary then looped back along the road. Traction helpful, but snowshoes required above the falls. Good hike, nice day. Great views of Sawtooth and Buchannan Pass.

Tue Nov 06 2018

Lots of snow last weekend when we were there! Only saw 4 other people while we were out!

Thu Oct 04 2018

Beautiful drive especially in the fall, but should not be rated easy...definitely moderate. Coming back down was much easier. We saw a Moose on the way up which was really cool! Only about 3 areas that were tricky. The entrance being the worst of it. Coming back down was much easier.

Sat Sep 29 2018

Fun, easy, forested trail with several good look out points over the river. Lots of sweet dogs and a few nice people. Went in late September and the Aspens were amazing!

Mon Sep 17 2018

The trail road to Camp Dick was a little hard to find coming from Lyons. Saw a large sign that said Camp Dick and thought to turn there, but there was a closed gate. The road is just a little further South on Hwy 72. The road is a one vehicle paved road, so be prepared to move over onto the side to allow other vehicles to pass. There were a lot of 4 WHL vehicles going up the trail and the hiking trail was hard to find. No maps or markers. Found a trail to the right of 4x4 road and followed it to the bridge, then a clear trail way to follow, but no markers. Overall a very easy trail to hike and going in has a light incline with lots of rocks and muddy areas, but shaded and pretty quiet. The waterfall isn't much to see since your up high on mountainside, but cool too listen too. Finished the trail and came back, easy hike down. My only complaint is there were several dog poop bags left on the side of trail! Come on Boulder, what's up with this? Also, dogs are supposed to be on leash and 95% weren't and spooked us and our puppy! They were good dogs though and not aggressive, so I guess that's ok. Overall, an easy hike and saw some young children, enjoyed the shade and secluded lunch by the river with my boyfriend and dog.

Tue Aug 21 2018

beautiful!

Wed Aug 15 2018

WOW. This is definitely one of my favorite hikes and I will hope to be doing this one again before the snow flies. Loads of wildflowers and several water crossings. The trail follows the river, so there you get to enjoy the sound of rushing water the entire way. My 7 and 10 year old hiked 6 miles no problem. Lovely family friendly hike. Lots of dogs. Please keep them on a leash as we had a few encounters with some overly friendly dogs. Pay the $7.00 to use the toilets at the campground. It is worth it and clean! Best kept vault bathrooms I've seen!

Sun Aug 05 2018

not for atv

Sun Aug 05 2018

Beautiful easy trail! Got there about 11:30 on a Sunday and the trail wasn't too crowded. Very shady and cool for a summer day!

Wed Aug 01 2018

beautiful area, not sure why it is rated 'easy', it's probably a 5 to 7 on a difficult scale. ground ckearnace needed for several areas

Sat Jul 28 2018

This is a beautiful trail. Pretty easy and makes for a good walk through the woods. Would be a great trail for trail running and kiddos. Trail runs right next to the river and stays within the shade of the trees. If you’re looking for a more relaxing “hike” this is the trail.

Tue Jul 17 2018

This trail is an easy hike with a very gradual incline. It's mostly shaded with a few flowery meadows along the way. There are some great spots by the river for photography and bird watching!

Sat Jul 14 2018

Good trail for a good run. Not too rocky or steep. Perfect temperature as well. Not very busy at all. I will definitely be back.