Learn more

Mesa Lakes Trail is a 2.8 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Mesa, Colorado that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 2.8 miles Elevation Gain: 396 feet Route Type: Loop

Drive into the Mesa Lakes Lodge and turn left just before the cabins. Tarred one lane road takes you out behind the cabins to a parking area just beyond the trailhead.

Did part of Mesa Lakes trail, went off towards Rim-View Trail and then back to Mesa Lakes and finished the loop

icy

Little too muddy and snowy of a trail to hike today

Easy hike. Dog friendly. Beautiful fall colors. Different terrains. Mesa lake and south Mesa lakes were gorgeous. Clear with blue/green hue. Lost lake was quiet. The water was pretty green when I was there (algae green), not as pretty as I was hoping for but the trail was fun. A little rocky toward the end.

Easy trails and easy to lose yourself in the beauty.

It’s a lovely stroll. Nothing strenuous. Lots of wild flowers & pretty views. Very quick! Was exactly what we expected it to be

recorded Recording - Sep 02, 02:53 PM

Great trail. Awesome views. All trails map a little off but trail is obvious.

Fri Jun 07 2019

Did Rim View trail because higher elevation trails were closed. Lots of snow. Trail was marked by tree signs for the first half, once I reached a large open space, I could not find any markings at all. Had to turn around.

Sun Sep 09 2018

Not marked well. Views are nice.

Fri Aug 17 2018

Pretty hike, but a like over rated. It's not really anything spectacular.

Fri Jul 13 2018

My wife and I took her sister and her three kids (8, 10 and 12) to do this trail in July of 2018. We ended up splitting the hike into two portions. We did the loop around Mesa Lake first then broke for lunch at the picnic area. After lunch we went back and did a small portion of the loop trail to get back to the intersection for the Lost Lake trail. The lake loop trail was very easy. The trail to lost lake involved a little more elevation gain to get to Lost Lake but was definitely worth it! We were the only ones on the hike and only two fisherman were at Lost Lake when we got there. It was a beautiful day with some clouds and a nice breeze to make the 70 degree temps feel even better. There were tons of wildflowers in bloom too that made the hike that much more enjoyable. Having done multiple hikes on the Mesa before we knew to load up on mosquito spray. It came in handy as there were a few spots along the hike where they were pretty thick. One note that might be important to others looking to do this hike. The directions that All Trails gives to the trailhead will put you on the trail but not where the map shows the trailhead. The All Trails starting point is a free parking area where the actual trailhead as shown on the map is inside the Mesa National Forest Mesa Lakes picnic and camping area which is a fee area ($6 self pay at the entrance).

Fri Dec 08 2017

This is a really beautiful hike. I was up there just before sunrise and it's so quiet and peaceful, and as the sun rose I got to see and hear the forest come alive. I saw 2 bald eagles and some sort of water rodent (muskrat maybe ?). The trail is well maintained and used, even with snow on the ground it was easily seen, which is good because the signage is not good. I wondered around the park looking for a sign for awhile, I had read a previous post about the trailhead being near the cabins so I started there. In the winter part of the road is closed but there is a road at the cabins that leads to a picnic area, that's only sign (To picnic area) on the cabin side of the lake, the trail picks up there. There is another parking area past the bridge, to the left, at the end of the main park road with a sign for Glacier springs I believe, you can start the hike there as well, I think there were 2 signs on this side one for Glacier and one for Lost Lake.

Mon Jul 24 2017

Nice easy hike. Plenty of spots to stop and enjoy the scenery and even stop to fish. Be sure to bring bug spray! Overall a really nice find.

Fri Oct 28 2016

INCREDIBLE. So peaceful and still and pure. Went a few days ago and we were the only people there. A beautiful, secluded magical place!

Wed Sep 28 2016

The aspens were in full color. Awesome! This trail is easy around the first lake with a moderate climb to Lost Lake.

Sun Sep 11 2016

easy hike to 2 beautiful lakes. trail was very dog friendly.

Mon Aug 29 2016

This is such a beautiful hike, the scenery is amazing. The trails are easy to walk. The water is the most beautiful shades of blue and green. One of my favorite hikes.

Sun Aug 28 2016

Great way to spend time with the family. Easy hike with great scenery. Kids loved it.

Fri Aug 26 2016

Asked directions to the trail head which is not clearly marked from the road. Needed to drive into the Mesa Lakes Lodge and turn left just before the cabins. Tarred one lane road takes you out behind the cabins to a parking area just beyond the trail head. Was a very nice easy hike around Mesa Lake. While there, I also did the Lost Lake trail. Not having been in CO to long, I had to watch my pace and breathing as climbed in altitude. But the trail was easy to follow and lots to look at along the way. Was a busy trail with a number of people and everyone was friendly. It was a great day!

Mon Aug 22 2016

Very beautiful hike. Lost Lake is awesome. Took my 4 year old and he walked most of the way, so it was pretty easy.

Sun Aug 21 2016

There are quite a few different trails in this area offshooting from the main trail. You have to pay $6 cash only for day use or just drive slightly further up the road to the Mesa Lakes Lodge and start from up there. Also be aware that the elevation is almost 10,000 feet so if you're acclimated to lower elevations you might find you're short of breath a little faster or get a headache. Beautiful leisurely walk.