McCullough Gulch Trail

McCullough Gulch Trail is a 2.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Blue River, Colorado that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

skiing

From Breckenridge head south on route 9 for 7.6 miles to Blue Lakes Drive (#850). Turn right onto Blue Lakes drive and continue for about 100 yards to McCullough Gulch Rd.(#851). Turn right and continue for 2.2 miles, staying left at the y-junction, to the parking area at the trailhead.

Would not bring someone from out of town here. Also would not recommend as a winter hike. As you get closer to the top, the trail becomes less and less apparent to nearly non-existent. Even using the tracking of this app, i fell off course several times. A large amount of what would be a trail is just Slick Ice. I only had boots, but would highly encourage additional traction of some sort. The views are beautiful but not sure the final destination of a frozen lake is worth the challenge. The trek from the parking lot to the trailhead isn’t bad, only adds about a mile. If getting away from the crowds is what you are looking for then give this one a shot. Double the amount of water you’d think to bring and definitely bring gum and something to snack on. Also, *Extremely Windy*

rock climbing

Clear driving out to Blue Lakes today and a very nice hike beyond with snow only in the valleys

On 11/14/17 I hiked from McCullough Gulch trailhead to the first lake (Upper Blue Reservoir) and back, about 4 miles round trip according to my GPS unit. The trail is somewhat difficult to follow between the falls and the lake, but it all works out. There are some icy spots, which can generally be bypassed, but boot traction devices and poles help. Great late season hiking conditions. The crowds have obviously thinned out, but I did see 7 other people on the trail between noon and 4:00pm. There is currently no parking allowed on the last 3/4 mile of the road (due to utility work), so this adds 1.5 miles to your round trip.

11/11/2017. A little icy, but well worth it. We started late, so had to turn back halfway to make it out before sundown. Lake is iced up, but beautiful nevertheless.

Fantastic views! Lucky there was a inch of snow on top of the ice for the first quarter mile.
Saw 8 mountain goats on the Ridge.

Route is pretty snowy and icy. Reservoir is almost completely iced over. Didn't make it up to upper tarns and lakes due to 60mph winds once we reached first lake. Bring microspikes and additional points for traction. Balaclava and heavy duty gloves also recommended.

Local note: It seems a lot of people use the access road to walk their dogs off leash and it is a curvy road. At 20mph in the snow (no posted speed recommendations) we apparently pissed off someone enough for them to curse at us even when slowed to a stop to ask them if they needed any help. So, be mindful of grumpy people and dogs in the road during the day.

Hiked on 10-16-17...first 1/4 of a mile was pretty sloppy with ice, but passable. After that, the scenery was amazing the whole way to the top where the half frozen lake was. Saw some mountain goats along the right mountain ridge on the way to the top. Once you're past the falls and up by the lake, the wind picks up by about 20 mph and it gets cold quick. Very fun hike and would highly recommend it. My GPS showed just under 6 miles we walked from start to finish. That's with me taking several detours for pictures and hiking a bit past the top lake, too.

Fabulous trail! We hiked it with our 6 month old puppy on 10/14/17. There were some icy spots right at the beginning and then again at the very top, but passable. The views are incredible! Definitely some challenging steep spots, but well worth it!

Went October 11, three days post snow. The first mile on the trail was icy, snowy and miserable but I’m so glad we kept going because the views were incredible. Brought my 65 year old father with me and he failed well. Waterfall is so pretty at the end- the lake is past it but the trail wasn’t well marked past there so we did not continue.

I can’t really give the trail a fair rating since we did not get far. It was a sheet of ice with a lot of light snow covering areas. Bring microspikes and poles.