Mays Peak from Bear Creek

Mays Peak from Bear Creek is a 6.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Colorado Springs, Colorado that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

The trailhead for Mays Peak is still marked by an orange cone. The trail is narrow, but fairly easy to see as you go up. I started at Bear Creek Rd. My distance tracked at 5.2 miles round trip.

Follow an old road to the gate. Take the trail on left. Trail is about 100 ft from gate, there was an orange cone marking trail last time I was there.

Follow the road until an obvious clearing/saddle. The trail to summit is the least obvious at that point, kind of towards the left and fairly narrow.

It was a pretty overcast day when we went, I was convinced we were gonna get rained on, but it was a fun trail. We started from Bear Creek Canon, but I think you can do a shorter route from the Cheyenne Canyon side. The trail to the actual summit was not marked, so we had to hunt around a little bit for it. It was a pretty nice hike though.

mostly on the dirt road, but great views after the saddle! I struggled finding the route at the saddle. there are five paths, not including the road you come up. it's the third from the left, or second from the right. unmarked and doesn't really look like a trail compared to the others.

Nice moderate hike, steady uphill grade from TH to peak. Even though most of this trail is on wide dirt road, it was devoid of traffic and well shaded entire way. Peak is very serene, grassy, treeless with great views to Cutler, Muscoco, Buckhorn, etc...worth the trip!

Hiking up the road is nice, but it's hiking up a road. Once you get to the saddle and actually start toward the summit of Mays Peak, it becomes amazing!

Thursday, July 25, 2013