Mayflower Gulch Grand Traverse

Mayflower Gulch Grand Traverse is a 5.9 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Frisco, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 5.9 miles Elevation Gain: 1,463 feet Route Type: Loop

rock climbing

skiing

Note: As of July 2019, trail is accessible to hikers but not vehicles. Please check with the park page for more information.

We snowshoed on Sunday Jan 19. Blue bird day with no wind! The trail was packed down and spikes would have been fine. If you chose to snowshoe off the trail then the snow gets deep and snowshoes are a must. Trail is enjoyed by skiers, hikers and dogs.

Can’t beat this one. Tempted to give one star so people stay away but this is a five star hike.

icy

Hiked on 1/8, absolutely beautiful. Got to the trail head around 8am, only a few other cars. Trail was packed down and no need for snowshoes or spikes, boots worked just fine up to the old buildings (would need something beyond that). Had the place to ourselves for most of the time. Got back to the trailhead around 11 and parking lot was filling up.

Beautiful hike! Hiked on 1/4. Someone below posted that it's all packed down, so I didn't bring snow shoes which I regretted. If you're just hiking to the gulch on the left, you don't need them. If you plan on doing the outlook to the right it's worth bring. Even my 60 Lb dog was falling through the snow with most steps so we decided to come back. Will definitely be doing this again - will bring snow shoes and then snowboard down!

skiing

Great trail stunning views , tried AT skis for first time slog up and a 10 min whew ride down

after a windy overnight I really could have used snowshoes we made it about 100 yards past the cabins before the post-holing became too severe. great views!

The hike itself is relatively easy, I had spikes on but I think it’s doable in just boots right now. A little crowded, but it was the weekend and near perfect weather- lots of people skiing and snowshoeing. Shaded the whole way until you get to the cabins- this area was absolutely stunning. Without the views at the end, would likely be a 3 star hike, but I’m a sucker for surprises at the bottom of the cereal box :). Will be returning in summer.

The trail was snow packed and we were fine with just our hiking boots. The trail is shaded majority of the way. Beautiful in the snow!

Can do with just boots! Get deep from snow in some parts but pretty packed down. Amazing.

It was foggy and snow the entire day, so visibility was very low. The trail wasn’t that difficult. I saw quite a few people out. I’d have given it a 5 star if I could see the mountains at the end.

Easily accessible this time of year no need for snow shoes if you have good boots. Too much snow to walk about the summit, will return in the summer.

AMAZING hike!! Snow packed but we did it with no special gear and kids loved it - family friendly! Can’t wait to do it again!

icy

Incredible view for little elevation gain. I was planning on wearing snowshoes but didn’t need them, wore my yak tracks but probably would have been fine without them. Beautiful sunny day, definitely worth the drive!

Heavenly gorgeous views in “the bowl” of the mountains. Trekked in the snow today. Helpful to have micro spikes. Be sure to check out the old cabins about halfway through the trail.

We arrived at 10:30am on a Thursday to a mostly empty parking lot. We saw a dozen hikers over 5.5 hours. The Gulch is incredible. I would have liked to summit. The most difficult part is the elevation as I am from a coast. I loved the day but was not in love with the trail. It did not leave much mystery. Once through the woods (1 mile) the next four miles are all visible pretty much the entire time. I would recommend it for families so long as the kids have adjusted to altitude. Plus, there are some American Mining Ruins along the way.

Loved this hike! We started at 9am on a Friday and the parking lot was pretty bare, but coming back a couple hours later the lot was packed. Pretty cool mining ruins if you take the left fork, right fork leads to some awesome views of the gulch. Watch for remaining medal pieces on the trail near and in the cabins. I'm guessing the wind blows it around. Don't forget if you pack it in, pack it out please!

My very favorite hike in the area. First twenty minutes thru lodgepole but after that my oh my... Spectacular views. Incredibly dramatic. Once you get to the gate you can hike further - to the left a lesser incline but with gorgeous views all around. Rocks that you can sit and have a picnic lunch and to the right of gate a more strenuous hike but when you get to the top you are rewarded with more spectacular views. A previous note read “a short hike”. Either they posted on wrong hike or are used to 20 mi hikes. Perhaps they went just to the gate. This is no short hike. Highly recommend.

Super easy trail. Great parking! The old cabins/townsite is so cool. Won’t last many more of these huge winters! The hike to the mines is fun as well. Did it with our 4 yr old twins and no issues! One of the prettiest places in CO!

Trail head is easy to find. Road to drive closer to top is easy and most SUVs would be fine. The high Alpine meadow was amazing. Beware of the old cabins- they are used as latrines. Don’t go inside.

My wife, dog, and I hiked up this trail yesterday. We expected to find a trail head through trees, but ended up walking up the road about an hour to the cabins, artifacts mining community It is a nice steady elevation gain, and beautiful up top. Heavily trafficked as advertised but we really enjoyed this trail. One guy, however was unhappy our dog was not on a leash.

Later in the season, but lots of flowers still blooming. Beautiful sunny day. Great for hiking.

I had a perfect day out on this trail two days ago - perfect temperatures and beautiful views! Trail was definitely moderate, pretty good incline at the start. Seeing all the old mining structures was really neat.

Relatively easy hike to open field of flowers & tundra. 3 old cabins & other partial buildings. Beautiful hike, about 2 miles & 600 ft.

If you go up the road / trail to the right of the old mining buildings, there are some short switchbacks on the right hand side that are deeeefinitely worth hiking up!

Great hike! Fun seeing the old mining village and the the most magnificent views at the top if you continue up the trail to the right!