Mayflower Gulch Grand Traverse

Mayflower Gulch Grand Traverse is a 6.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Breckenridge, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

rock climbing

skiing

Mostly uphill. Beautiful views. The mining ruins were really cool. Lots of great water and streams too.

We had our two kids (3 and 1) in packs and made it to the old mining cabins. Fantastic hike w/ stunning views. From the parking lot to the cabins and back is more like 2.5 miles round trip. We didn't do the full 6 miles. Trail is more of a dirt road w/ a decent amount of snow runoff crossing the road making it a little muddy in places but I did the hike and running shoes and it was fine. I really enjoyed the hike and our kids loved it as well.

Great hike. Moderate hike and not too strenuous. Very rewarding views. Slow steady climb from the car park to the cabins. Very little snow on the ground currently although a little wet in places due to the run off. This is much shorter than I think detailed here.

My wife and I did this hike today and it was amazing. The parking is great and this trail doesn't seem to get too busy. We've done this hike twice now and we love it. The views of the mountains are great once you get to the opening by the abandoned cabins. I highly recommend this hike. It says that the hike is moderate but I thought it was fairly easy as long as you don't go too far beyond the cabins. Great summer hike!

I absolutely love this trail! the first part is a bit steep (nothing too difficult), but it evens out once you get above the treeline. the gulch is incredible--it's really cool to see the old mining cabins, and if you go up further you can see the entrances to the mine way up on the mountain. I would recommend starting early, though! it's not too crowded but you'll be exposed to afternoon rains if you start too late.

my favorite trail. great views.

Beautiful views all around! The majority of the trail is within the trees and suddenly you emerge to see some of the most stunning mountains. Trail can be done easily with hiking boots but past the gate to the mines you’ll posthole with all the snow up there

Awesome hike to the old mining camp! Snow past there is very deep so we stoped at the buildings. By far my favorite hike. Awesome picture opportunities at the camp! Did it with just hiking boots

Trail is hard packed until the cluster of mining buildings. With an 8am start, we made it to a mile past the mining buildings through the open field before the snow started to melt and we had persistent problems with postholing without snowshoes. The snow is still waist-deep in that field. Get an earlier start if possible if you want to descend before the snow changes. Lots of backcountry skiers on the trail.

This trail actually came out to be closer to 4ish miles and the elevation gain was really not bad! The trail to the cabins/ruins is packed, you could probably even get by without added traction but it did help me (microspikes)! After the cabins I'd recommend snowshoes/skis as it's not packed, I tried to get up to the mining stuff and post-holed the whole time so I turned around. Beautiful views of the mountains both in front and behind, a really good sized parking lot (it does come up on you kind of fast so be prepared!) with no facilities but definitely a great hike! I'd love to see it in summer with no snow too!

Absolutely beautiful trail!! It was hard packed - we did it with yak trax and had no issues. Stunning views the entire time!

Hiked the mostly packed trail today with just boots. Was able to make it to the cabins with relative ease. The snow is less packed the farther up you go, but still a nice and easy hike with amazing views. Loved it! It says 6.1 miles but with only boots we could really only make it about 4.

What a gorgeous hike! Went up on 4/15 and the snow is well packed the whole way to the valley and did not need snowshoes. A little post-holing up by the mining cabins if you get off the path but not bad at all. Nice, easy hike with spectacular views.

Did this 4/11 with microspikes and poles with no issue-trail was pretty packed. Saw multiple people skiing. Beautiful views, plenty of parking, fun day!

Love this hike and the views. Splendid! The main trail is well packed - no need for snowshoes but if you plan to venture off-trail - take your snowshoes. We did. The meadow areas are open enough that you won't get lost on the way to the mining cabins. And enough people have gone off-trail so that there are routes to follow. Off the trail, the snow is still 3 ft.+ deep. Enjoy the snow while you can!

Great to snowshoe through the valley on semi packed down snow. The trail through the forest is very packed down and spikes could have worked fine there. Great views!

Very easy to get to, amazing views and very quiet and peaceful for how close it is to the highway. Went in August 2017. Like anywhere in the mountains, best to get there early to avoid afternoon storms (and light crowds if that's not your thing).

Great snowshoeing and cross country skiing area. Not too steep and very stunning views! Plenty of powder and moderately tracked out; even better if you can scramble up to the ridge!

Gorgeous!

Not my usual type of hike ( I usually do longer hikes with less traffic) but I did really enjoy this one. We took the trail there and the road back. The trail had a lot of snow, snowshoes would help. There were parts where the snow was about 2 ft deep. You do have a lot better views this way vs the road, road has trees on all sides. Lots of wind up by the cabins but other than that very beautiful. The cabins ruins are still in good condition.

Beautiful views all around. Will need some sort of traction and hiking shoes/boots.

Depending on what you want out of the experience this one had it all. Trail itself was packed enough I wore just my boots but kept my snowshoes lashed to my pack. plenty of offshoot trails though if you want to go and do more snowshoeing that I think will lead you to the same cabin ruins, not sure. Otherwise once you make it to the ruins lots of options to shoe up and explore with snow being in great condition for snowshoeing and pretty fluffy so you aren't scraping on rocks or anything. I don't know anything about X-skiing but plenty of them out there and people skinning up seemed like a good sign to me. Left late and got there at 10 and still plenty of parking and not too crowded for a Saturday and was able to be enjoy myself, explore and snack attack and be at my car by 1:30.

We went 12/15 in the afternoon. stunning views! We dont have spikes... but we had snowshoes and I definitely recommend some sort of traction device. felt mostly empty, only ran into a couple back country skiers. ample parking, easy to find. would do again in a heartbeat!

Went hiking there today. This was my first winter hike in CO and I was totally blown away! The views at the top of the hill were simply breathtaking. It did get busy with skiers so go early

We hiked this this past weekend with about 5 inches of snow and it was gorgeous! It's really not a difficult hike and even though it says you're walking up an old jeep road, it doesn't really feel like it. The views are stunning. Highly recommend.

Nice hike. We went up the left-hand fork to the amphitheater below Atlantic. Easy going all the way. impressive mine way up the west ridge of Atlantic, still connected by a wire to the structure below.

Great hike with great views! old mining ruins are cool too!

Really enjoyed this hike. When I read that it was up a road, I was not very optimistic. The road, however, goes through a heavily wooded forest with frequent views on one side. The mining ruins are interesting, too. The 360 views from the top of the ridge line are FANTASTIC!!! This hike gives quite a bit of bang for the buck.

Beautiful wildflowers and views. Steep incline to the top, but worth it!