Mayflower Gulch Grand Traverse

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(596)
White River National Forest

Mayflower Gulch Grand Traverse is a 9.5 kilometer heavily trafficked loop trail located near Frisco, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 9.5 km Elevation Gain: 446 m Route Type: Loop

rock climbing

skiing

Note: As of July 2019, trail is accessible to hikers but not vehicles. Please check with the park page for more information.

icy

Was on this trail 5/21. I arrived by 8:45am and the trail was practically empty. The trail is well traveled so the snow is very uneven to walk on, but they are hard packed so you don’t need snowshoes, spikes would be helpful. I make it pass the cabin with no issue. I saw a few skiers coming down the valley but none on the trail. Overall a nice/short hike with an incredible view at the end!

icy

Tons of snow - great for snowshoeing! We saw a lot of people in hiking boots only, but they were post-holing pretty badly.

Better to snowshoe in the valley than the actual trail. Either way you go, you’ll be rewarded.

Amazing snowshoe trail. The cabins at the top are very cool and the views are amazing! We snowshoed back through the valley and it was gorgeous. Quite a few skiers & boarders going down the main path so watch out hiking up! Don’t need snowshoes until you get to the cabins.

Great winter hike. Got past the cabins 200 yards and decided to turn back since we didn’t have snow shoes.

Nice easy hike, annoying people skiing/snowboarding down the trail but besides it totally worth it.

Micro spikes were fine until you get to the abandoned cabins. Any further you need snowshoes. People where skiing, skinning, and split boarding. Great day great hike!

icy

Very packed snow, spikes and poles were great help. So beautiful in the winter. Wish I could ski this

Gorgeous day with considerable winds. Used spikes for most the trail, snowshoes or some type of flotation needed after the cabins. Saw lots of ski and boarders. There was a pretty steep snow drift at the top of the ridge that seemed pretty unstable.

Beautiful scenery for a butt-kicking workout! Our goal was the whole 5.9 miles but we weren't really sure which way was the best/safest route to the ridgeline, as described. Since there was a huge snowstorm last Friday, the 2-3 feet of fresh snow made it feel like a magical adult playground. We'll be back to do the full 'loop' again soon. Also, it wasn't a loop, it's more an out and back.

Did this trail today and was breathtaking! No snowshoes or additional traction needed unless you go past the the cabin. Then it is perfect snowshoe conditions.

Completed this trail today with a group of 8 dogs for a hikingdogsofinstagram hike! The trail is well packed even with fresh snow coming down, and we saw gorgeous views! There are lots of skiers, so make sure your dog has good recall if you bring them on this hike.

Hiked this on 3/8- this is one of my favorite hikes in Colorado that I’ve done winter or summer. The snow on the trail was very packed down- I wore spikes but they truly weren’t even necessary. Lots of cross country skiers!

Awesome! I’ve done this in summer and winter and it’s glorious all times of year. Not too difficult but is at elevation (>11,000). The trail as listed can be made considerably shorter. I estimated that from trailhead to old cabins (just past the Freeline) is ~1.5 miles one way.

Hiked this as the sun went down, made a fire, and then did some stargazing. Highly recommend.

This trail has been on my list for a couple of years, and I’m so happy I finally checked it off. What a gorgeous winter trail! Tons of snow right now and great for snowshoeing, but the trail is packed down enough to do in spikes as well. A bit of an incline going up through the woods, and then it opens up to sweeping views with some cool old mining cabins. Can’t wait to hike it in the summer!

Wow, beautiful trail! Deep snow, but if you stay on the trail it’s packed down enough for you to trek with just snow boots on. I can’t wait to go back in late spring/early summer and see all the wildflowers. Very dog friendly, we came across a few other people with dogs and skiers but the trail wasn’t overly crowded. Really neat historical cabins towards the end of the trail.

icy

This was my second snowshoeing trek on the Mayflower and it was amazing. The trailblazers had packed down the 2+ feet of snow that fell last week so It could be hiked with spikes if you stayed in the very middle of the tamped down trail. I recommend snowshoes especially if you want to keep going after the cabins. Skiers have blazed a side trail to the right (ascending) of the main trail but there was room for everyone. Not very crowded yesterday. LOVE THIS TRAIL!

this trail was a blast and just so beautiful. you really feel like you get back in the mountains even though you dont have to go very far. More pictures and info at shorturl.at/ikDTY

Awesome trail to a stunning view.

Beautiful trail. Snowshoed here on Feb 9. You 100% need to have snowshoes otherwise it would be near impossible. Snow was packed 2+ feet. We were lucky enough to have a couple and a dog who were cross country skiing start the trail right before we got on the path. It was so serene and beautiful and the views were spectacular a true winter wonderland. The elevation was tough with the small hills serving as quite a challenge but worth it. Great workout

Bluebird day on 2/2! Trail was very packed down until the first cabins. After that skis or snowshoes are pretty much required. I snowshoed as far as the top of that first ridge after the cabins because the wind was blowing pretty fierce, but there is a track broken in going in that direction. The wind did blow away the tracks I had just made going that way though. I didn’t bother even putting my spikes back on after I returned from the cabins, it was fine to come back in just boots. Very quiet trailhead at 8 when I pulled in but it was packed by the time I got back around 10:15. Also, I think I may have dropped a pair of gray/black Champion gloves at the trailhead, if you happened to pick them up I’d appreciate getting them back if possible!

This place is gorgeous! We snowshoed it last Sunday (Jan 26). Arrived just after 8am to a mostly empty parking lot and got back to the TH around 11:30am and there were still plenty of spaces. We could’ve made it up to the lower buildings with just our boots but if you step off the trail you’ll posthole. We broke trail up to the upper sets of buildings and even with snowshoes we postholed up to our thighs a few times. Exhausting climb, but the views from the upper ruins are amazing! The surrounding slopes are at the right angle for avalanches so we paid close attention to snow conditions and didn’t climb up beyond the upper buildings. I wouldn’t recommend going up the slopes without avy gear.

Beautiful hike, the trail was snow packed no need for snowshoes if just going to old buildings! Used spikes on boots. Lots of backcountry skiers so watch your back if walking down the trail!