New Years Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $19.99
Get Started

Maxwell Natural Area Foothills Trail

Maxwell Natural Area Foothills Trail is a 3.9 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Fort Collins, Colorado that offers the chance to see wildlife and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 3.9 miles Elevation Gain: 593 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Nice trail! Muddy in spots but overall enjoyable. Would do again

icy

A terrific Foothills hike. Lookout views are work the journey. l encourage anyone to engage this fun little hike. Cheers!

icy

01/13/20 monday arrived around 1130. lots of space in parking lot. trail is around halfway dry. the rest is a mix of muddy or icy/snow packed.

Good easy trail.

good, easy trail. A few spots that were rockier and could be a little more challenging for new hikers but nothing too crazy. Scenic overlook at the top was gorgeous.

Starting with the Maxwell Natural Area Foothills trail and tying into other nearby trails provided a wonderful hike for my dog and me. We crossed the road to the west and hiked along a narrow ridge trail that provided a beautiful view of the Horsetooth Reservoir to the west and Fort Collins and beyond to the east. It eventually came back down to the road and we crossed and headed back along the remainder of the Maxwell Natural Area Foothills trail.

Busy trail on a Sunday morning. This trail, Timber Trail, is located south of the Maxwell Trail and travails around Dixon Reservoir in a timbered area to the west and through a busy prairie dog town to the east.

Awesome possum

This open plain trail just below Horsetooth Reservoir is great for when it's not hot out. Easy walking trail and well maintained, not overgrown like some I've done recently. A lot of bikers out today. Beautiful views, great vegetation, and tons of prairie dogs, which my dog loved to watch!

very basic trail. basic view of Fort Collins from top and also a view of Horsetooth Reservoir. dry landscape and multiple bikers. would not do again. if you want to just get some exercise, then this is a close and quick trail.

I'm from Michigan so the trail was cool for my wife and I. Pretty easy and got to see prairie dogs for the first time.

nice

It took us about 1H10M to walk around. We could have kept going but felt it was a good spot to turn back around. It was a beautiful walk. There were prairie dogs everywhere which made it super fun! There was a lot to see. We enjoyed it.

Got my car broken into at the trial head. Nice little walk, just make sure to take your belongings with you. My wallet was hidden in the glove compartment. It seems that these theives watched us and then punched my lock in whole we were gone for 20 minutes. Be safe yall!

Nice, easy trail. Good views from the top. Perfect for a quick workout close to town.

Great hike, if it’s not too hot, no shade, lots of mountain bikers, so your hiking tends to get disrupted a bit. Amazing views of both east and west, with minimal effort!