Maxwell Falls Lower Trail

MODERATE 1,570 reviews

Maxwell Falls Lower Trail is a 4.2 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Evergreen, Colorado that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

partially paved

This candy wrapper style loop trail will take you past 2 small waterfalls and Upper Maxwell Falls if you do the whole loop. This forested trail has two trail head options with a loop in the middle. This information is from the lower trail head parking lot. From the lower trailhead the distance to Upper Maxwell Falls is about 2 miles. From the lower trailhead after crossing the foot bridge stay to the left and follow the signs and the river upwards to go directly to Upper Maxwell Falls or go right to go up Cliff Loop Trail which will meet back with Maxwell Falls trail just above the falls. If you take Maxwell Falls trail first the falls will be two miles up on the left and down. Just listen for the water getting louder and keep an eye out. It's a bit hidden. You can turn back from here or continue past the falls a short way to find the Cliff Loop Trail on the right. This will take you back around to the foot bridge. Or you can go the opposite way, taking Cliff Loop Trail from the foot bridge and coming back down Maxwell Falls Trail. You will see one very small falls a bit lower on Maxwell Falls Trail and another on Cliff Trail near the foot bridge.

Did this hike yesterday in the middle of a snow shower, and it was really nice! Like others, we missed the turnoff for the falls, but found it after finding the sign on our way back down. Apparently, we hiked nearly 1/2 a mile past it. My phone was acting up, so I wasn't able to add a waypoint to the map.

That being said, this is a really nice hike. It would be great for out-of-towners, since the elevation gain is very managable. I don't know if it was the weather, or that it was Wednesday, but we ran into more bags of dog poop than people. Seriously folks, clean up after yourselves!

Weather was great for hiking and not too many people on the trail (it was a weekday after all). Trail is pretty dusty and I can see this getting muddy after some rainfall. Really wasn't much too see as there are not any viewpoints and you're walking through dense forest. We missed the sign that points to the falls 100 yards away. It was kind of easy to miss as it doesn't really face the trail very well. There were at least two other groups that had missed it also and we were all looking for it. After finding the falls, it was disappointing to see the dismal trickle of water coming down the rocks. I'd hardly classify it as "falls". All in all, it was an ok hike.

Beautiful hike! The colors were so pretty with a few aspens interspersed in the ponderosa. Keep your eyes out for the sign down to Maxwell falls off the trail - it can be easy to miss depending on which way you come up. You have to walk ~100m upstream to see the main falls. Also, please pick up your dog poop bags! We saw at least 6 bags at the trailside.

Not much scenery as it’s in a valley. Barely any changing of the leaves so not recommend right now if that’s your goal. Lots of uphill and rocky. Great cardio. Never made it to the falls. Heavily trafficked...

It is beautiful and fun. It takes awhile to get to the falls so be prepared to hike! It’s also very much in the forest and you don’t see mountains or the sky a whole bunch.

Three stars because this trail is way too packed. You'll need to get to the trailhead between 6-8am although people tend to park on the side of the road. This is a moderate trail in the true sense. The beginning is mostly an incline and there are a series of ups and downs. You can wander a bit off the trail on certain parts for some amazing view points of the mountains. The flow and intensity of the fall will depend on the time of year you do it. Enjoy folks!

Great for tourists

I actually hiked this trail in the middle of winter and only saw 1 other hiker and her dog. It was quite peaceful and serene. The waterfall was frozen over and a perfect place to set up my hammock and have a snack. Not a hard hike even with some snow cover on the trail. A great winter acclimization hike for newbies.

Nice walk! Pretty easy but lovely and a nice morning walk that is not far from Denver! Hiked 8/16/18.

Nice little hike. Decent views from the ridge up above the falls. Popular trail, so it pays to get there on the earlier side. If you are going to bag your dog poop, please remember to actually pick up the bag; the trail is littered with good intentions. ; )

Great hike overall! Parking was easy. There are a few points when the trail was unclear, but we were back on the right trail pretty quickly. Took our dog and it was good for him too! Some pretty exposed parts where it got very warm, bring your sunscreen! Awesome views of the changing leaves!

At one point I got turned around on Cliffloop and didn't pay attention to the map until I was about 1/4 mile in. So, there will be a place that's not clearly marked like it is the first few miles. I only saw two hikers going up but by 10:30a I saw half a dozen or more on my way back to the trailhead. There's lots of tree coverage to keep the sun out of your eyes.

Great hike with some elevation gain, well-maintained trail - aside from the Maxwell Bluffs Trail side of the lower loop, which has many fallen trees and is generally rocky, like a washed out gravel road. The waterfall is relatively puny, think 1' x 1'. However, it is very nice to hike alongside the creek most of the way. The aspens were starting to turn when I hiked and there are a variety of landscapes along the way— pines, aspens, rocky hillsides, with a few ascents leading to modest vistas. I did not see many other people Sunday morning, however I got a very early start, hitting the trail at 8 am. It was busier when I was hiking out and I would assume it is more heavily trafficked midday and in the afternoon.

My first trail ever!!

Lots of people & I would rate as easy

I was a good trail, but busy.

Parking was free and easy to find since they have dirt lots. Easy hike in a beautifully shaded forest surrounding but very heavily trafficked. Sad to see a lot of poop bags on the trail. The fun part was climbing the rocks near the falls so bring your grippy shoes! Great to bring a picnic to as well.

Great hike! Parking can be a little spotty but it’s. A cute hike!

Did this trail in June. Waterfalls weren’t super impressive. We took a few wrong turns d/t lack of signage but ended up on a higher trail with beautiful mountain views. Couldn’t tell you how to get back there but THAT hike would be worth it to do again.

Nice hike, shade/sun mix.

Great hike!

This hike offered a quick escape from Denver heat today, but not much escape from crowds. We enjoyed the trail, but it was very crowded and of course, there was a lot of dog poop along the trail and two dogs off leash, despite someone asking the owner to leash them. I think this hike would be much better during the week; it was just too busy on a weekend.

This trail gets a bad wrap here! it was actually beautiful and the signage was just fine. I counted no fewer than 5 signs directing me along the trail. and the map IS accurate. just follow it while you are walking (pull out your phone when you get to a fork in the path) and if you take a wrong turn you can easily see it on the map on AllTrails.

nice 2 hour hike, trails are not marked very well in certain areas.

Traveled with a 11 month old in a pack! Summit was breathtaking. The waterfalls are simple...not sure we found the real falls! There is a ‘creek’ area that was perfect for the little one to toddle around and throw rocks. I’d definitely recommend this trail.

good hike near denver

You will see disapointing views from others but ill just advise, this is a creek falls not waterfalls so its small. The upperfalls you will need to trek thru a creek to actually see the creek falls. Nice boulder formations surrounding it and hike itself is a nice figure 8 loop w 2 parking lots. Ive hiked this 2 times 9/2014 & 7/2018 and both times it was a great wooded hike.

Trail is not well marked for this particular route. It was beautiful but more crowded than others that are just as beautiful.

I would not recommend this trail even though I would say it provides a decent workout with some pretty scenery (nothing too special for Colorado IMHO). My boyfriend and I ended up getting lost due to the fact that the trails are unmarked. There are lots of unmarked forks you and you need to guess where you are going.

This was not a pleasant experience. We ended up walking miles more than we wanted to. All of this could have been avoided if there were signs and at least an accurate map that showed the forks.