Maxwell Falls Lower Trail

MODERATE 1,384 reviews

Maxwell Falls Lower Trail is a 4.2 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Evergreen, Colorado that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

This candy wrapper style loop trail will take you past 2 small waterfalls and Upper Maxwell Falls if you do the whole loop. This forested trail has two trail head options with a loop in the middle. This information is from the lower trail head parking lot. From the lower trailhead the distance to Upper Maxwell Falls is about 2 miles. From the lower trailhead after crossing the foot bridge stay to the left and follow the signs and the river upwards to go directly to Upper Maxwell Falls or go right to go up Cliff Loop Trail which will meet back with Maxwell Falls trail just above the falls. If you take Maxwell Falls trail first the falls will be two miles up on the left and down. Just listen for the water getting louder and keep an eye out. It's a bit hidden. You can turn back from here or continue past the falls a short way to find the Cliff Loop Trail on the right. This will take you back around to the foot bridge. Or you can go the opposite way, taking Cliff Loop Trail from the foot bridge and coming back down Maxwell Falls Trail. You will see one very small falls a bit lower on Maxwell Falls Trail and another on Cliff Trail near the foot bridge.

1 hour ago

I went on this hike for the "waterfall" and I don't even get how that is considered a waterfall, I could make a better one in my backyard with a hose.

Beautiful morning hike. Loved the sun playing peak-a-boo through the trees. Water is really low right now so not a lot of water on the falls.

Great for running, or for an intro to Colorado trails. Definitely evidence of higher traffic, but great on a weekday. Very close to a beautiful lake in Evergreen. Nice to have a creek running alongside the trails for the dogs to cool off in.

Trail has lots of people (& dogs). We went mid morning (8:30ish) and it was pretty packed the whole time. We had a hard time finding the trail markers throughout but we did enjoy our time and the views. I also saw a few snakes so keep an eye out. Over all a good hike!

Not a well marked trail. I got to the trail at 7:30 and the parking lot was full but I was able to park close by. By the time I got done at 10:00 there were cars all over the place and the trail was very crowded. I agree with the others who have said that there are many dogs off leash and lots of dog poop either bagged or unbagged along the trail. It smelled bad. I hike at least once a week and I’m not sure I would come back here.

Spring / Summer - Beautiful, steep incline in some areas, enjoyed the running water. Heads up no vault toilets in area. Did not enjoy the traffic on the trail, way too crowded. Often times you have to step aside for someone to walk which is fine but did not appreciate how many people had their dogs off leash on such a tight trail. Perhaps not everyone wants their dogs approached by other unknown dogs off leash. Please be respectful of this. Recommend going on a week day. In the winter very iced over, would not recommend without the appropriate gear. Hiking shoes are not sufficient.

Great, easy trail. Lots of shade. Went closer to the middle of the day in the middle of June and it was still an enjoyable hike. Nice and scenic. Didn’t have an issue with dog poop bags!

Nice, shaded trail. Good hike.

We hiked here for Mother's day. Beautiful trails; both lower and upper trails are moderate. I love the upper tail for the view at the top! One sad thing... Dog poop bags everywhere at the beginning of the lower trail:( If you're going to bring your dog be respectful and TAKE YOUR DOGS POOP WITH YOU when you leave.

This is a great hike with lots of shade because of the HUGE trees. The falls are nice but nothing spectacular. Very busy on the weekend. Would give 5 stars but the trail is littered with bags of dog poop. We saw at least 30 on the first 2 miles.

Great trail that is easy to get done in a few hours. Parking is fairly limited and almost everyone hiking brings a dog. the waterfall is worth the drive from Denver!

Beautiful streams throughout the hike.
Excellent waterfalls.
Very shaded and cool

This trail has tons of people on the weekend. We passed ~30 dogs, dozens of families with children, and over a hundred hikers in the 4.2 miles. This is not a wild experience by any stretch of the imagination.

That said, the hike was cool (in temperature) so it made for a good way to escape the Denver heat. I enjoyed that getting to the actual fall was a bit of a scramble as opposed to a path. The falls were tiny, so adjust your expectations accordingly.

Easy hike. Our gps calculated about 3.1 miles round trip via Maxwell Falls trail. We got their early-ish (8am) and parked in the lot and had perfect temps. Was getting hot on the return at 10 (we sat and ate and took pics for about 20 mins).

The trail map was confusing. From the lower lot we went straight up. At the first sign (“Trail” with an arrow and lots of marking towards the falls) we thought that was the first junction. It’s not. Trust the sign and go straight. The footbridge everyone refers to is a man made footbridge and the Maxwell Falls Trail/Loop option is immediately after the bridge.

We followed the Maxwell Falls Trail. We paid attention to other reviews and followed the sound. Where the trail starts to spread out, it gets a little confusing as to which way to go. Stay left and follow the creek. Keep staying left and following the creek. You’ll probably get to a point and think “Is this it?” It’s not. Keep going. There’s some awesome big rocks to sit and eat and scramble your way up past the green bushes. You’ll come around the bushes and say, “THAT’S it!” Nice and refreshing and beautiful. Not a lot of water but still worth it.

This was a great starter hike. Up and then flat for awhile to catch your breath. It’s the first in a training series for our group and a good intro for new hikers. One ask... please pack out what you bring. Super disappointing to see poop bags, used toilet paper (for real) and granola bar wrappers in the creek and on the trail. Pack out what you pack in.

I got to the trailhead around 9:30 and the parking lots were completely filled, but with plenty of parking along the road. The trail was moderately busy, but people are pretty polite about letting faster moving groups pass by.

The first half of the trail is well shaded, which was pretty nice, but the last half was during the time of day where I’d wished I had shade.

The falls is kind of hidden a bit. Strictly following the trail will take you to the top of it, but if you stay along the small path along the creek, it will take you straight to the waterfall. There’s some large rocks to climb over to get to the base of the falls, but I found it pretty easy with a puppy in tow.

Nice and shaded trail. We climb thru the rocks to get to the waterfall, the kids love it and called it an adventure. Is not a huge waterfall but where in Denver you will see something like this nature? I love it

A very pleasant trail on beautiful land. LOTS of people on a Sunday. Trail lined with dog waste bags. But beautiful.

Great if you want to walk several hours incline while hiking on rocks to get to a waterfall that is less impressive.

ZERO waterfalls. It’s just a stream. Easy hike. Well shaded.

Nice hike! The first half is mostly up hill, but not bad. Liked that a lot of the trail is shady, as it was hot today! The sight and sound of the water as really nice. The waterfall is kind of hidden off to the left of the trail. Follow your ears and you’ll find it. Nice place to have lunch.

Took both of my small dogs on this trail last weekend. Quick drive from the city and really great hike. I loved crossing the creeks and the amount of trees, plus the waterfalls at the end were awesome to see. We climbed down the rocks and just enjoyed the view and weather for awhile. My Yorkie got pretty tired on the way back but we packed a water bowl and treats that kept them enjoying it.

Definitely bring bags for trash, as there weren't any trash bins or dog bags/trash. Also no bathrooms.

For the hike, not a ton of elevation but you definitely will feel good afterwards.

Wonderful waterfalls- do the complete loop to get the full stream waterfall experience:) we parked at the bottom trail head and hiked up then downhill on the loop back :)

If you love water features, then this is the trail for you! Such a chill, serene place to admire nature. Lots of rocks so be careful! Nobody has time for a sprained ankle- aka wear actual hiking boots. If you’re wearing Chacos and stub your toes, I literally won’t even feel bad for you.

Nice little day hike. Took less than two hours and that includes time to hang at the fall. Rated moderate due to the slight incline, some inexperienced hikers may have to break when going up. Other than that, pretty simple :)

Great

Great trail for a quick hike just a short drive from Denver. Easy to moderate.

nice relaxing trail. It should be marked easy instead of moderate. The falls were small. It is also a nice place to camp. There are multiple trails, so it can be confusing because not all of them has signs.

loved it! Did it by myself and again with my 10 year old (August 2017). Perfect place to bring a picnic and enjoy a fabulous time.

Amazing! The waterfall was beautiful. No boots needed. Went today and there was a lot of shade from the hot sun.

I actually really liked this hike. I didn’t go all the way to the falls cause my dog was donee. Lots of people there today but everyone was super friendly and respectful.