Red Rocks Trail

Red Rocks Trail is a 9.3 kilometer moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Morrison, Colorado that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

9.3 km
360 m

Start from the parking lot and walk about 100 yards, cross a stream, and continue straight on the Village Walk Trail. After 0.4 miles, take the Red Rocks Trail to the south. You will see the Morrison Slide rising in the distance. As you get closer, you can see the trail switchbacking up the side of Morrison Slide. After another 0.6 miles, you cross a stream. Just after the stream crossing, you come to the junction with the Morrison Slide Trail. Go up the Morrison Slide Trail and you will be rewarded with a pleasant walk along the edge of a 20 foot cliff. A nice resting spot is found just before you start descending the other side of the slide. This descent is a challenging mountain bike trail, so watch out for the bike riders struggling up the fairly rough trail. When you reach the Red Rocks trail, go north to return to your starting point. Warning: Other than the two stream crossings, there is little shade on this trail. It is best in the morning or evening.

I did this trail one month ago. And it was pretty but very icy! Bring your trax... I forgot mine and regretted it.

Solid trail. First hike in Colorado for my fiancé and I. The trail was moderate enough that we could do the out and back even though we aren’t completely acclimated to the high altitude. The trail was muddy and icey in some spots but was still enjoyable. I would recommend this trail to anyone who is looking for a slightly challenging hike that is close to Denver. We will be back to do the Morrison slide and cherry gulch trails!

Hiked after 6 inches of snow, trail was already pretty well packed down. No need for snow shoes or poles with the amount of snow. I just wore waterproof hiking boots. I have done this hike in summer and winter and preferred it with the snow! Also a bonus that it was so close to home! The trail head has very nice bathrooms, and a bridge going over a creek. I didn’t get to see the red rocks view quite as I wanted, but the views were good either way.

Love this trail in all seasons. Snow packed and muddy. I hiked in boots with good tread.

Great hike. Light cover of snow made the views beautiful. Snow packed trail, no ice. Wore my boots and had poles.

Pretty much my favorite front range trail. Great, up close views of groovy rock formations.

Did this hike on 12/30. Definitely a good choice for a winter hike. Not much ice or snow at all! We decided to make a loop back to the car. We detoured down Alameda Parkway to Dinosaur Ridge and took the Dakota Ridge Trail back to the starting point. Great views on both ridges!

The Morrison slide switchbacks were enough to put this into the 'moderate' category. It is perfectly flat once you reach the top. The views were fair. I approached from the south and am happy with my choice. I ended up foregoing the last mile down the other side -- it looked open, grassy, and shady (mid afternoon) -- not particularly exciting -- so I opted to turn around instead. Not a bad small trail close to town. Has potential for mountain biking, too.

You’ll find mostly mountain bikers on this trail. The degree of difficulty is moderate only because of the “mountain slide trail” portion. It’s 2.9 miles up to the top of the mountain and 2.9 miles back. It starts off as an open meadow, which winds around into a very easily run valley that dips down just before reaching the mountain slide, which traverses around a moderately steep accent to the top. Many people take landscape pictures of the beautiful views at the top which the trail continues to wind around the back end of this mountain peak into a loop, leading back to the Matthew Winters Parking Lot/start/finish point. This land is located adjacent to Red Rocks, Morrison, Colorado.

Really nice trail. Well maintained and popular. Lots of cool formations. Favorite part was being on top of the ridge. Saw some snakes.

Amazing

Nice hike!

Okay, first the most important, YES there is a bathroom at bottom!

I just went today for the first time with two dogs and they did great. There are some snow remnants around and the trail is a bit muddy, but overall, a very enjoyable hike!

There are some great views and great red rocks to see as you go up the trail. The elevation gain was subtle in some areas, but also a butt burner as you head back at end of trail. There was only one section not clearly marked....it is a steep down trail and once you get down the hill, THEN you will see there it is marked for Red Rocks Trail. When at top, there are three other potential ways...one is a dead end and the other looks like it could head off for a bit. Just be careful of this section, but I don't think you would get far anyway.

I feel tired after and happy. There weren't too many people at 9am and 42 degree weather. So if you dislike the crowds, try going in colder weather. It is still enjoyable!

Great trail with beautiful scenery. Flat areas along with ascending trails throughout. Lots of mountain bikers. I really enjoyed it. Beautiful colors in the fall.

One of my favorite hikes since it is so close to Denver but a different geography. I live very close and prefer to take guests here.
I’ve seen owls and raptors around the rocks and like the view at the end.

Z tuisg

During the week, the traffic is decently low. Nice lookouts and lots of raptors surfing the air currents around the cliffs. Loop with Dakota Ridge for a decent mileage loop.

Nice hike before a show

HIGHLY TRAFFICKED. Views look over Morrison and Ken Caryl. Lots of dog poop people haven’t even bagged. Lots of dogs. But there’s a bike or a group of people about every 20ft; on weekends, weekdays, morning or night. Really detracts from the scenery. Highly. Trafficked.

Nice light hike for a family.

I’ve hiked this trail today and it’s a very beautiful trail. It doesn’t follow the red rock trail for most of the hike, it turns onto a black trail. But it’s absolutely worth it. You can also choose to continue following the red rocks trail, it’s an easier trail with less ascending. However if you are in a decent shape, take the black trail via the top of the mountain for beautiful views of the city. Watch out for rattle snakes, I’ve seen one sunbathing on the trail. More people have seen them a lot sunbathing.

Nice hike with limited shade so sun screen or an early start is best. Nice views of red rocks area and worth the “walk”.

I do this trail weekly (if I’m not traveling). Nice in the early morning or late evening. Good glimpses of wildlife but a great place to decompress and enjoy the outdoors.

A beauty! We jumped onto Dakota Ridge and made a nice loop!

Gorgeous view. Bottom half of the trail was pretty bland but was a good walk.

Crowed on weekends but a good time

Wanted to get a moderate hike in close to home. Well marked wide trails, busy spot of course since it's close to the city and near Red Rocks Amphitheater. Also ran into two snakes that were crossing the trail, keep your eyes open for these as rattlers are a possibility.

Good spot to run 5.8 miles. My first trail run and took me 1.5 hr but of coarse enjoying the view and taking pictures. Definitely will go back