New Years Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $19.99
Get Started

Mason Creek Trail

Mason Creek Trail is a 8.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Conifer, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 8.1 miles Elevation Gain: 1,558 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Did this hike on 11/30 and it was fully packed, spikes were very helpful. Overall nice trail and mostly easy to follow

Challenging, diverse and amazing views on the Eagle Cliff detour! Highly recommend!

Wide trail, not over crowded for a Sunday. Some mountain bikers, but trails are big enough for both! First section is easy, gets rocky further in. Great views!

Connected this with Old Mill, Border Line and Staunton Ranch for a nice overall loop. Light traffic mid-week.

Awesome up and back with my 14yo son and our 4yo chocolate lab. Got on the trail 7am on Labor Day, 9/2/19. Saw very few people on the way up — like 5 people, 1 dog, 1 bike. Cool and shady. Reached Eagle’s Crest overlook at 9:30, straight back to the car the same way, in car at 11am. My watch says 7.12 miles for what we did, which was to find the shortest route to the best view IMO! Saw a million people dogs and bikes on the way down.

Ended up doing a loop of the same length. Well maintained trails, beautiful views from the overlooks, not very crowded even on a sunny holiday weekend. I’d recommend hiking herd if you want to get some distance, otherwise not very challenging.

We did the mason creek to eagle cliffs.. beautiful hike! Beware if you have kids that bikes fly fast down the trails and the bikers expect you to get out of their way. Might be better to do in winter when there are no bikes

This hike was incredible. Wonderful views, the smell of the pines, and a good incline! I turned at Bear Claw and it was well worth it. Adds about 1.5 miles to the hike instead of just continuing on through Mason Creek, but it loops you back to the main trail. There is still some now and ice in patches on the trail, but not enough that I needed my yaktrax. I’ll be back to this hike when the aspens bloom!

You can't go wrong in Staunton State Park - it's my favorite state park! Friendly rangers, expansive views, varying terrain, and plenty of wildlife! Check it out!!

This was my second time doing the trail in the winter, and it didn’t disappoint! Great views along the lookout loop, crampons are definitely recommended.

Good in the winter

Sun Dec 09 2018

Love this trail! Beautiful winter hike! Spikes are good to have for sure.

Sat Sep 08 2018

Had to make this hike a quick one because the sun was going down. Finished in 2.5 hours with short stops at Catamount Overlook, Pikes Peak Overlook, and Eagle Cliffs. I’d say this is probably a 3-4 your hike if you’re moving at an average walking pace. Solid views and nice trails throughout. A little rocky or slippery in some spots so watch your footing. There were a few rock climbing spots that seemed to be just off the trail toward the beginning.

Tue Jul 31 2018

Hiked this trail two days ago and had to take about a 2 mile detour due to trail closures. Still a good hike with decent views and not too many people.

Fri Jul 13 2018

Awesome trail before we finally gave in to the storm following us and turned around at the Pikes Peak overlook. Gorgeous views there and all the way up to it

Tue Jan 23 2018

Agree that the hike is lacking views, but a nice trail and nice moderate hike.

Sat Jan 20 2018

amazing trail!!!

Mon Jan 08 2018

lovely trail

Thu Jan 04 2018

This is a really nice hike- I just felt like it was lacking views... I would suggest continuing up Stauton Pass Overlook (I believe that is what it's called) for extra beautiful views. You just follow Mason Creek Trail until it ends and follow the signs further. Good hiking boots should be just fine- no need for yaktrax. But be very careful on the icy patches because they are parts where the creek ran over the path. It was warm enough today where if you stepped on the ice you would have ended up ankle deep in cold creek water. Lots of beautiful aspens- I can't imagine what this hike would look like in the fall!!

Mon Oct 16 2017

fun trail, easily connects for a near 10min loop hike with Old Mill and Staunton Ranch trails. Nice views not too much traffic.

Thu Aug 17 2017

Always a fun hike. Very crowded on Sunday.

Sun Aug 06 2017

Was a great hike with beautiful views !

Sun Jul 02 2017

Great hike, well maintained trail. Steady incline that should be doable by most anybody, and tons of wildflowers everywhere right now (7/2).

Tue Jun 20 2017

Fun little hike...took Mason Creek to Bear Paw to all three Overlooks, then Old Mill back down. Neat forest scenery up too the lookouts with water crossings. The historic Old Mill site was interesting as well.

Sun Jun 11 2017

We hiked in Staunton State Park-took the Mason Creek to Bear Paw up to Eagle Cliff Outlook out and back.. It was a good, moderate hike of about 7 miles. There were a few easy creek crossings, open meadows and the outlook was worth it-great views! $7 day pass, parking was a little crowded, but not bad.

Sun Jun 04 2017

We did Mason Creek > Border Line > Staunton Ranch to make it a loop for an 11 mi hike. Mason Creek and Border Line were great! Lots of scenery and wildlife and we didn't see anyone for the first 3 miles. We also started at 8am which I think helped. Staunton Ranch was a little too easy and trafficked for my taste. Note that there are some new trails and possibly some trails that have been rerouted as the map here didn't quite follow things to a T, especially on Staunton Ranch. I would do it as an out and back like this trail shows next time!

Sun May 28 2017

We love Staunton State Park. Tons of hiking options for length, difficulty and scenery. There is a lake, a waterfall and several awesome overlooks. However, this can make the park very crowded at time. Be prepared. We had a steady climb up Mason Creek to Bear Paw. Bear Paw is a new trail that is still not showing on most maps. It is worth the extra mileage. There are three great overlooks on the loop. Take the extra trek to Eagle Cliffs and have lunch. We then cut back down Old Mill and back to the trailhead using Staunton Ranch Trails. This made for about an 8.5 mile hike. Most of Mason Creek is in the woods providing nice cover and also follows a stream most of the way. A great hike, especially if you can find a quiet day.

Wed May 17 2017

beautiful well kept trails. my dog especially enjoyed the shade and stream along the trail.

Sun May 14 2017

Moderate to difficult with elevation and rocky in places. Rare to find flat stretches. Great combination of open spaces and shade from the pines. A stream is beside you the majority of the trail with small, beautiful waterfalls along the way.