Maroon Bells Scenic Loop Trail

Maroon Bells Scenic Loop Trail is a 1.7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Aspen, Colorado that features a lake. The trail is good for all skill levels and primarily used for hiking, walking, and nature trips.

I am a professional photographer and decided I would go and see what all the hoopla is about with regard to this iconic location. The trailhead and parking is incredibly busy I was surprised at how many photographers were on site trying to photograph the sunrise at Maroon Bells. I've seen so many other awesome sites in this country, honestly, I wasn't impressed with this Trailhead or the scenery other than the beautiful Aspen's on the drive out. If you plan to photograph sunrise at Maroon Bells particularly in the fall, I would recommend that you are at the trailhead no later than 4:30 a.m. We arrived at 5 a.m. and we're on the verge of not being able to find a parking spot. I will say I don't think I'd go again. It just wasn't as spectacular as everybody talks about it being. while we were driving and it was Pitch Black. However the exit provided stunning scenery. I will say that that was worth the effort more so than the photography of the lake.

Easy and short hike that doesn’t have a lot of traffic in the morning, but may start to get busier after 12pm. There are many great spots to take very scenic pictures, especially during the fall when the aspens change.
To get there, we parked in the parking lot at the base which costs $35 a day (originally $25 but was charge an extra $10 on the way out), and took the shuttle to the trail, approximately 20 minute ride, which runs every 20 minutes and costs $8 per person for the day. A different shuttle will also take you into town for free.

Beautiful and not too highly trafficked. Easy for kids.

A beautiful walk! Very easy trail which allowed us to truly enjoy all of the different types of vegetation in the area :)

just beautiful

Most beautiful short hike or walk in Aspen. surrounded by spectacular peaks, wildflowers, stream. Plan to stop a lot. Best if done before first buses arrive around 830. can be combined with either Crater lake or head down maroon lake trail for as long as you like
Rick and Grayce

the hike was nice and easy, good for the little ones. amazing view from start to finish

Don’t miss this relatively flat trail after you come back from crater lake! Really beautiful views of the bells and pyramid with waterfalls! It’s pretty rocky in places, so don’t wear flip flops!

Beautiful!

Great Trail for taking the kids. Beautiful scenery!

A bit rocky, but so amazing. So pretty. Anything about this trail is worthwhile, and totally awesome. Bridges covering mini waterfalls at every turn and a huge lake at the beginning and end. Recommend for everyone.

Really beautiful trail! Pretty flat and gorgeous scenery- aspen trees, deer, river, maroon Bells!!

Road is not open 6 miles from the trail :( snowmobile renting was close to $200/pp. We went back into town to rent mountain bikes from UTE City Cycles who were super great, $75/half day. Unfortunately the snow was in such powder/slush conditions even their snow mountain bikes couldn’t make traction. We ended up biking up 2mi, walking/attempting bike for another 2mi, before realizing we should’ve brought more water and food. Luckily slush was good enough downhill to ride about 3 of the 4 miles back. Even the cross country skiers were unimpressed with the snow conditions! Hope this helps someone!!!

They never warned me that I couldn’t drive to the beginning of the hike . We walked 4 miles on the road and until turning around after a nice guy on his snowmobile told us we wouldn’t even be able to see it today because of the clouds. Bummer, it looks beautiful.

Beautiful!

My husband and I did this trail in October of 2016. Fall beauty in leaves everywhere. Absolutely gorgeous area!!!

There is no hike involved to see the iconic views of Maroon Bells from Maroon Lake that you see in all the photos, but if you want to get in a short, easy walk past the lake, this is it! Leashed dogs are allowed every where else in the area BUT this scenic loop. There are signs specifically stating no dogs on the scenic loop. Fall foliage is definitely past its peak when we visited on 10/8/2017. Only one patch of yellow aspens left near the start of the trail.

We went for the sunrise during peak fall weekend! It was wonderful. We slept in our car in the parking lot the night before because of how popular it is to go this time of year, but it was well worth it (the parking lots filled up by 5am). It was a very easygoing trail if you're just looking to see some great views and have a relaxing afternoon.

Wednesday, September 13, 2017

Easy and short Hike, any one can do it! loved the views its has already fall colors... you can park near the hike if you drive before 8am for only $10 cash (no credit cards) but also you can pay a ticket bus from the Aspen highlands ranch that will drive you to the base of the Maroon bells....

Friday, September 01, 2017

Lovely, and you can skip the Upper Loop and turn around at the bridge if your party struggles--it's a little more steep and rocky beyond that.

Wednesday, August 30, 2017

It never ceases to amaze me how beautiful our state is! This is my second time to Maroon Bells in as many weeks and I am still in awe of the beauty that I see!

Monday, August 28, 2017

If you are going to maroon bells after 8am they want you to park at the hotel for $5 and then pay $8 per person for the bus ride; however, the road is not congested and you can save yourself money by simply driving around the restricted road usage sign. If anyone ask, you are staying at a cabin on the road. also, this will save you the hassle of having to do a stop and go tour on the bus.

Tuesday, August 15, 2017

Maroon Bells is surely worth a look. The one thing I'd like to mention is this is a perfect destination for the elderly or somewhat disabled to go for some fresh air and scenery. There is a parking lot right at the lake of Maroon Bells which provides the beautiful scenery you see of the lake. You can either drive or take the bus. Once there, it's a very short walk on level, dirt walking paths to the lake. This is a tourist area so you will be with plenty others. There is a bench to sit on and stare at the beauty. You can also picnic here just bring a blanket to sit on. Great place for kids to skip stones in the lake. There are restrooms and a small river to cross as well.

Monday, August 14, 2017

Yes, it's beautiful scenery and worth the trip. Very easy hike. For a more moderate to hard hike add Crater trail.
The downsides: it is Super Busy, and heavily trafficked. The bus ride both ways was packed, and while the drivers were nice enough I could have done without their narratives. The restrooms: atrocious.

Monday, July 24, 2017

Super easy but also very pretty.

Thursday, July 06, 2017

Definitely one of the most beautiful places I have ever been! If you get there early enough you can drive up there, otherwise you have to take a shuttle up there to limit pollution. Definitely a popular spot, but for good reason.

Thursday, June 29, 2017

Beautiful!!!

Wednesday, June 28, 2017

Gorgeous scenery, absolutely worth the trip out from Vail on our family vacation! The hike was pretty easy, very little elevation gain. Once you pass the bridge, half of the loop is through shaded forest but the other half is pretty rugged and rock covered. It was challenging for my 4 year old and 60+ parents in sandals (just to give some context), but otherwise smooth sailing.

Thursday, June 22, 2017

Easy hike. Kid friendly. Don't bring dogs as moose are spotted along the trail.