Manitou Springs Red Mountain Trail

Manitou Springs Red Mountain Trail is a 2.5 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Manitou Springs, Colorado that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 2.5 miles Elevation Gain: 944 feet Route Type: Out & Back

This is a relatively short trail with spectacular views on the way up as well as at the top. From the summit you can locate the Manitou Springs Incline, Pikes Peak, Cave of the Winds, the Cliff House, Kissing Camels in Garden of the Gods, and of course, Colorado Springs. Even though close in to civilization, it is easy to feel like you are worlds away from it while ascending. We recommend using the free parking and Incline shuttle since the trail heads aren't too far apart. You're not allowed to park off Spring Street anymore and will get towed. Parking along Ruxton is paid parking/for residents.

Parking was difficult and the trail wasn’t marked all that well near the near, still some great views of Colorado Springs.

Park in the free parking at Memorial Park in town and take the shuttle up. From where the shuttle drops you off, you'll have to walk back down the hill a bit to get to the trailhead. We were carrying our kids in packs, hadn't been hiking for a bit, and are from much lower elevation so it was a bit tough, but doable. The views from the top are totally worth it!

Very nice hike. Manitou Springs is a tourist trap nightmare so parking was impossible. We had to pay and park in town then walk about .75 miles to the trailhead. Once we got there the hike was good. There weren't many people on the trail and the views at the top are excellent. Make sure you turn left at the big boulder near the top. If you start walking up really loose rock you've gone the wrong way.

Tried to hike this 2 separate times. First time couldn’t find it, realized you have to take the shuttle after I spent a good amount of time and energy searching for the trail head. Second time there was absolutely zero parking to even attempt to take the shuttle. Super frustrating.

It's a good steady climb, wonderful time through the forest. Make sure you pay attention to turning left at a big boulder. I didn't find that to be particularly obvious, so I missed it. (If you feel like you're not on a trail anymore and are scrambling up loose scree, then you probably missed it.) The view from the top is awesome. BTW, easiest way to get there is to take the free incline shuttle from Manitou. It'll drop you off at the stop by Iron Chateau, and the start of this trail is mere feet away.

One of my favorites in the area. Good, quick workout and not nearly as crowded as the incline. Beautiful 360 degree views at the top. We take the small intemann nature trail past iron springs and then up onto the main Intemann/Ring the Peak trail. About 1/4 mile up that trail, there is a sign for Red Mountain.

Hiked this today. Nice easy hike and beautiful on top. The trail is easy to find. Several have talked about the sharp left at the big rock. It's pretty obvious when you get there. I'm going to make this a regular exercise routine.

Butt kicker. Hope to kick it's butt soon!

Beautiful sunny day. No snow or ice.

Really enjoyed this short hike. It’s great for a quick workout with a phenomenal view at the end. I went on a Sunday & saw maybe 4 others on the trail, so that was a major plus. Definitely will be hitting this one up again. Great for anyone that isn’t ready for the incline but still wants a good workout.

End view is a Five Star. Good short workout for a Saturday Morning!!

Good little incline near the top. Be careful of the switch backs, I continued straight up off the trail not realizing there was a switch back to the left. The summit is on the smaller side.

Monday, August 20, 2018

The incline was closed when I went so I ended up using the free parking and walking a mile to Spring St (since the shuttle wasn't running) before reaching Intemann trail. It's a short walk to the trailhead for Red Mountain and a mile up from there. The views on the way to the summit were pretty good but once you reach the top it's a gorgeous view and a nice little area to explore. Not including time you might spend at the top you can easily hike this trail in under 1.5 hours. There were only a few other people on the trail when I went on a Sunday morning.

Friday, August 03, 2018

4.5: Red Mountain Trail itself is nice, but getting the right trailhead from Ruxton to get on Intemann and to that one is confusing and a bit frustrating.

Wednesday, August 01, 2018

Perfect hike that is very close to the wonderful town of Manitou Springs. The view at the top is amazing and as a bonus, you also get to see remnants of the old dance hall and station when it was competing with the Manitou Incline.

Friday, July 27, 2018

Great hike and views of Colorado Springs and Manitou Springs. The signage is lacking on the trailhead. Park in downtown Manitou and walk to Spring St. Take Spring St over the bridge and follow the road left to get onto the Intemann trail. This trail is indicated by a "trail" sign. Follow the Intemann trail for 0.7 miles until you reach a bluff where a wood post shows a sign for the Red Mountain trail. The trail is marked pretty well until you get to the big rock where the trail splits. Take the left fork!

Saturday, May 26, 2018

This was a bit difficult for me only being at this elevation for less than 24 hours but the hike was well worth it. My 14 year old son had no trouble at all. Very light traffic which was very nice, however, we ran into some very nice people along the way. Just the right distance for me to some beautiful views!!

Monday, April 23, 2018

we completed this hike on a sunny Earth Day Sunday! I am currently living in Maine, so am adjusting to the altitude but it was the perfect afternoon hike for this Mainer! Slow grades uphill with super rewarding views. Side note - my sister got engaged on this mountain and it was perfect - we only saw a few people during our hike on a gorgeous day, and we had perfect views of Garden of the Gods and Pike's Peak and well as the incline and Colorado Springs. We also brought out 70 year old father with us and he was able to complete the hike as well. We brought LOTS of water to adjust to the altitude.

Sunday, April 15, 2018

I park at the Incline Parking ( 10 Old Man’s Trail) in Manitou and walked to the trail head on Ruxton. There are other options, such as more of a loop walk, first picking up the Paul Intemann trail on Pawnee Ave (where library is) from the east and then returning via Ruxton. When you reach Ruxton, you might want to check out the mineral springs there (near where the trail starts on Ruxton). I like to walk from Ruxton back to my car to grab a coffee or treat in Manitou Springs (the town has many great tea/coffee shops and restaurants). The hike up Red Mountain has some steeper sections with loose scree (so recommend poles) as you near the top but the walk is beautiful. Views are awesome from the summit where you can see the Incline and Pikes Peak looking west. Recommend care on/near the summit as there is loose scree and I personally wouldn't want to go "sledding" down that mountain as Emma Crawford did!

Monday, February 05, 2018

Great trail. Hiked on 2/2/18 - no snow on the trail. There are a couple of smaller trails that intersect - remember this is a mainly switchback trail. There are three places in particular that go either left, right or straight - go left up the switchback on all three.

Saturday, December 16, 2017

This trail is rated moderate but it's difficult. Pretty steep Uphill almost the entire way. Views aren't great along the way but I bet getting to the top would be worthwhile. I just never got there because about half a mile to the top the two isn't marked and there are two possible ways you can go. I took the wrong way. This trail is good because there aren't that many people.

Saturday, November 04, 2017

We park in Maintou and walk up Ruxton until we get to Spring street to the left (east), before the cog railway parking. This trail is connected to others worth exploring. The history of this trail and mountain, as well as the views you get from each part of the trail make this a favorite for an afternoon hike.

Saturday, September 30, 2017

My first mountain to climb. Loved it, went off on some side trail towards the end of my assent. Way more difficult than if I just climbed going around via the 'original' more traveled trail. Where I went 'wrong', was I stayed to the left more than the right!

Saturday, September 09, 2017

Park at memorial park and take the shuttle, we walked back to MP so we could walk Manitou

Sunday, July 16, 2017

Park at the incline shuttle lot and ride up. Especially on the weekend. The hike took us one hour to the summit. We walked, we jogged, we caught our breath. There's a nice view of the incline. The hike is a mix of shade and sun so you won't burn up. Some loose gravel on the trail. For being a short hike it's a good challenge.

Monday, June 05, 2017

Loved this trail. Being a flat lander this trail seemed hard so to the change in altitude. Great views and very peaceful.