Lulu City Trail

Lulu City Trail is a 7.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Grand Lake, Colorado that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until October. Horses are also able to use this trail.

This trail is relatively easy with little elevation gain. The scenery is average until reaching lulu city, where the views open up to a beautiful meadow next to the Colorado with nice mountain views.

I went here on June 3, which was the first weekend that Trail Ridge Road was open. I was expecting a ton of tourists since this trail is fairly easy, but it turns out this was a perfect time to go, as I got there at about 9:15 AM. It seems like most of the hikers (families with small kids) were arriving as I was getting in my car to leave at about 2PM.

The first two miles of this hike are very easy. Soft dirt trails with little to no incline at all. I was expecting a lot of mud and water due to runoff but it wasn't too bad. The river came over the trail at one point about 3/4 miles in, but that was the only actual obstacle to overcome. The final two miles before Lulu City were quite difficult due to increasing incline, and complete snow cover. The solidified and melting footprints in the drifts were what made it difficult. Other than that, the trail was very enjoyable and I feel that this is a great time of year to go here. Lots of waterfalls and springs. It might be more scenic in early July though, as most of the vegetation hadn't had a chance to grow yet.

Check out this video for more details on this trail

Hiked the trail on Sunday, 03/19. The weather was beautiful, up in the 50s-60s, but because of the amount of snow that was still blanketing the trail, this was not an ideal time of year to take this trail. Snowshoes were an absolute necessity; and the hike would have been very dangerous without them. There was a stretch of about 1/4 mile by the creek which was very narrow and precarious. I am quite certain that I would have been sliding down into the ravine had I not had the spikes on my snowshoes. The trail was difficult to follow at times because of the snow. On several occasions, I lost the trail and eventually found it again. As far as the structures, I could only see one of the ruins of the Shipler cabins. When I arrived at what I am certain was the town site, all of the structures were completely buried under the snow. I could not even find the sign identifying the location. I was able to get some scenic photos of the snow capped peaks; but overall I was disappointed at having driven and hiked so long to not see and photograph the ruins I was expecting. Had the trail all to myself. With the added time of trudging through the snow, even with the snowshoes, the round trip tops about 7 hours. I did not see one other person the whole time! There were lots of moose tracks and droppings, but no wildlife spotted, with the exception of a few black and gray squirrels.