Lulu City Trail

Lulu City Trail is a 7.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Grand Lake, Colorado that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until October. Horses are also able to use this trail.

Hiked the trail on Sunday, 03/19. The weather was beautiful, up in the 50s-60s, but because of the amount of snow that was still blanketing the trail, this was not an ideal time of year to take this trail. Snowshoes were an absolute necessity; and the hike would have been very dangerous without them. There was a stretch of about 1/4 mile by the creek which was very narrow and precarious. I am quite certain that I would have been sliding down into the ravine had I not had the spikes on my snowshoes. The trail was difficult to follow at times because of the snow. On several occasions, I lost the trail and eventually found it again. As far as the structures, I could only see one of the ruins of the Shipler cabins. When I arrived at what I am certain was the town site, all of the structures were completely buried under the snow. I could not even find the sign identifying the location. I was able to get some scenic photos of the snow capped peaks; but overall I was disappointed at having driven and hiked so long to not see and photograph the ruins I was expecting. Had the trail all to myself. With the added time of trudging through the snow, even with the snowshoes, the round trip tops about 7 hours. I did not see one other person the whole time! There were lots of moose tracks and droppings, but no wildlife spotted, with the exception of a few black and gray squirrels.

Did this trail yesterday. Gorgeous scenery and fall colors starting to come out. Very nice as it goes along the river most of the way. Easy with little ups and downs - great for out of town guests not used to altitudes as super easy and hardly any elevation gain at all. The only negative was a fair amount of horse poop - which was gross. Horses should be required to have bags on their bottoms in my opinion. Watch where you step! That was the only reason I didn't give 5 starts.

Nice trail. Lots of elk. Rainy in afternoon.

Fairly easy trail. This trail follows along and is at the beginning of the Colorado river. I took this trail to Shiplers cabin, which basically is the wooden remains, and also some old mining carts and materials can be found in the area.

Mostly flat and mostly wooded trail. About 2 miles in you'll see some yellow bellied marmots. Also saw a couple deer. Not much at Lulu City except a sign and one cabin ruins.

Main trail was under the river. There is a high trail, but it was very muddy. We turned around because not everyone had waterproof shoes. Enjoyable hike for the time we were on it.

Fairly easy trail that you can take out to Shipler's cabins (2.3 miles) or to Lulu city (3.7 miles) and then back. If you are adventurous you can continue past Lulu City and make it into a loop trail which I'm guessing would be about 10 miles. I suggest you get a trail map from the Kawuneeche Visitor Center. My wife and hiked this trail in the late afternoon and saw a mule deer and a young male elk (not sure what they are called). It was a nice hike along the Colorado River.

Good easy hike for the family. Beautiful meadow and scenic views. Watch out for moose in the meadow.

Short out and back trail. The trail is on the north side. Starting at the Colorado river.