Lower Dadd Gulch Trail

Lower Dadd Gulch Trail is a 6.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Bellvue, Colorado that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until November. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Easy hiking along creek/stream, up through ponderosa pines, aspens, and views of rock outcrops. Hike becomes moderate depending on your ability as it ascends through old burn area upto Dadd Gulch Road (dirt). Great hike for dogs.

Kind of boring for the first couple miles, but rises up to meet the peaks towards the end with some good views. Barely any snowpack even with this last weeks storms. Greening up with crocus out. Lots of jumping over the stream, my dog was a huge fan. Not too many people either. Beautiful meadows at the top.

Hiked Lower Dadd several times throughout this past winter. Snow was never deep enough to require more than microspikes. This is not a “bang for your buck” kinda hike as far as views are concerned. Good winter hike for some solitude but not so sure there will be much solitude on this trail in the summer. Moderate elevation gain on this trail but nothing too crazy. I also saw a moose here on one of my hikes and mountain lion tracks on another.

Pretty decent trail. I went in March and it was pretty snowy and muddy still, but that is to be expected. Not a lot of great views, but it was very pretty near the stream.

It was fun little hike where u have to jump over little creeks very slippery and snowy when I wen on Thursday 3/22/18 and very muddy but it’s an adventure!:)

Wasn’t the prettiest at first. You have to continue up a road after you finish the trail and then keep going to get a view. Not many people on the trail which is a plus though.

This is a nice trail for a day hike-- great on a hot day as much of it is shady. We went on a holiday weekend ( Labor Day) and the trail was quite busy. We have a leash reactive rescue dog and based on the other comments, we decided to brave the trail with him. There were quite a few dogs but everyone was helpful and there were lots of places to move off the trail if you don't mind bushwhacking a bit. There are lots of pretty wild flowers, great for dogs because of stream crossings and shade, and moderate elevation gain. I would definitely hike this trail again.

The description of this trail is very accurate. Great trail for dogs and their humans! The trail goes gently uphill and crosses streams, meadows, and mountainsides. Lots of shaded areas along the trail so it's a great trail even on a hot day. We started at 8:45 am and saw one other person in 2.5 hours.

this Trail was fun! it was a gradual incline with good length to it, nothing too hard. it is also a very moist Trail, a lot of the time plants and trees were closing in on me and I saw a great variety of mushrooms out and back. we only ran into two other hikers the entire time we were there. it took 6hours to hike 8.5 miles. the trail ends at a dirt road but we kept walking and stumbled into a geocache gamepiece while offtrailing. I would recommend it to anyone looking for good length and a mixup of scenery

We did this trail last November and we liked it. The little stream crossings are fun and perfect for the dogs to cool down in. Not much to look at and pretty anticlimatic, but if you're looking to just get away from people for a while that trail does the trick.

Very fun trail and easy to get to. Took a little over 3 hours to complete. Today was very cloudy and the plants were wet but the trail itself was relatively dry. I enjoyed all the wild flowers. The trail ends at a dirt road and I'm sure there's a nice view but the fog was thick. I look forward to doing this hike again on a sunny day.

Excellent trail for a moderate steep hike. The birds are definitely there but skittish due to the popularity of the trail, especially downhill mountain bikers. The trail is forested so there is plenty of shade, loads of wild flowers and probably 8 creek crossings.

Some folks ride horses up this trail. There are some steep bits and I recommend a walking staff for any with leg/back issues.

My hiking partner and I have tackled some difficult trails so far this Spring & Summer. This trail is our least favorite so far. It has essentially NO SIGNAGE! There is one sign at the top of the "stick" which most people treat as a point to point, turn around and go back the way they came. However, it is possible to make it a lollipop (or lariat) and a 11+ mile hike. Because there is no signage we got lost. This add - on part of the hike is not travelled frequently and we found no people or National Forest Service employees to ask for directions. After hours of hiking an intense incline and because we were losing day light we ended up bushwhacking straight down the mountain - which I assure you makes this hike "hard". In the end we determined we had hiked somewhere between 15 to 17 miles and were scratched up from head to toe. The stick is a pretty good hike and features a babbling brook - nice
- but NFS get some freaking signs!!

Beautiful hike with good shade, awesome flowers (went June 18th), and a trillion butterflies. Not too strenuous with some fun stream crossing

Sunday, October 02, 2016

Total Dad trail if you know what I mean! Super kid friendly, great elevation gain, nice scenery, but crazy amounts of manure! Bummer it's open to horses but I understand. Check out big south just a little further up the road. Much better stuff going on up there.

Monday, February 15, 2016

Should have had crampons. It's really icy and muddy right now.

Sunday, June 15, 2014

Pretty great hike in mid June. Creeks are just high enough to be fun but not so high as to make crossing them too difficult. Everything was very green. Elk tracks and scat seen, so I can assume the elk are in the area. Overall, not too hard, but still very enjoyable.

Sunday, October 27, 2013

My dog (Bandit) and I hiked this trail today and found that the spring (water) crosses the trail several times. Most of the crossings are easily accomplished with well placed rocks to step on, but some spots can get muddy. Take your old shoes if you don't want to get your new ones muddy! Great hike!!!

Monday, September 02, 2013

This was a pleasant hike and a little more work than I thought it would be (in comparison to Hewlett Gulch). There was a tiny herd of cows on the trail, which was fine, except that there was a ton of cow pies!! I loved the ponderosa pine and scattered groves of aspen- along with the rock formations, this was a pretty trail.

Friday, July 26, 2013

Went the wrong way and had to hike up the gulch which was rough but fun and worth it. Very secluded and mossy.

Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Good hike. Moderate. Good for dogs, didn't get to take Katie this time. July 14th was a great day, it was cloudy and it started to thunder. I was one hour into the hike and had to turn around. 40 minutes to get back down. Got in the truck and it started to rain! Good Timing!

Monday, May 07, 2012

Good hike and calorie burn. Ample water on this trip for dogs to cool paws! Evidence of animal kill cannot confirm if wildcat. Wildflowers are emerging on this trip. Hiked with dog and reached dirt road in 1.5 hours. There are a couple of boulders to sit on, but the area at turn around is not that scenic! There is an area that may be better suited for a relaxing lunch just before you reach the turn around. I'm 5'11" and 167# and burned 1200 for the entire out and back trip. Return trip was about 1 hour and 15 minutes. Getting old! Depending on fitness level, this hike starts easy and becomes slightly moderate as you get closer to the the turn around. Lots of sun and shade for summer hiking.

Tuesday, April 25, 2017