Learn more

Lower Crystal Lake is a 4.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Breckenridge, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Length 4.6 mi Elevation gain 1,601 ft Route type Out & Back

Photos (125)
Recordings (80)
Completed (221)
Kendall Huguley
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFri Jul 10 2020
Hiking

This was one of the most beautiful hikes I’ve done. It was more like 5.5 miles. We did the hike 7/9/2020. You may want to bring water shoes for part of the trail that is kind of under run off water. I took my shoes off and walked through the cold water. There was a narrow log foot bridge. Trekking poles might also be helpful but I left mine at home this day. This trail has it all. Beautiful forests, running water, babbling brooks, wild flowers, lake, snow, expansive views! It is definitely a little steep so not a great idea until you have acclimated for a day or two.

Chris Johnson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarThu Jul 09 2020
Hiking

This is a fantastic trail for a quick morning hike so long as you don't mind the steep incline. Outside of that the trail is not difficult, and offers picturesque meadows from about the halfway point on up. There is one part of the trail that had 5-6 in of water, but we just got our feet wet. GPS said it was about 2.4 miles to the lower lake, similar to what the app said. Will definitely hike this again!

Ashley Jackman
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSun Jun 28 2020
Mountain bikingRocky
View Ashley's Recording
April Michelle
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarThu Jun 25 2020
Hiking

So this hike was a disaster for me today on 6/25. Only reason I say that is because all of the weather apps and peaks I checked were inaccurate and told me storms wouldn’t start until 5 pm and that was a lie. Attempted it twice in one day and the weather kept me from completing the trail by a quarter mile. The trail is dry most of the way up until you hit tree line and then it’s like a river in some areas along the path. I had to take my shoes off at one point because the water I had to tread through was past my ankles, so just a heads up on that. It’s is also a pretty steep trail the whole way up so be prepared for that too. The views are so pretty so I’m super disappointed I couldn’t get all the way up to the lake, but I’m glad I listened to my gut because the sky was dark and rainy all the way leaving the trail and driving back to Denver. Listen to your gut if it doesn’t feel right! I went by myself and I wasn’t going to mess around with the weather. I was a little sketched out going alone especially since I barely saw anyone the first time heading up and didn’t see a single soul the second time. Wouldn’t recommend doing this one alone like I did.

Lizzie Bartholomew
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSun Jun 21 2020
HikingBugsFloodedMuddyRocky

when going up spruce creek road, make sure to make the right hand turn into Crystal Lake Road. I came up here a few days ago to do this trail and did not make the turn and accidentally ended up at Mayflower Lake. this trail must be ranked moderate for the INCREDIBLY steep uphill. It is very tough and if you are from out of town, i wouldn’t do this hike unless you are acclimated. water runs through multiple parts of the trail so wear shoes you don’t mind getting wet. had to be careful going down because of the steep grade. undeniably beautiful views, great hike. **about 6 miles there and back, not 4.6**

Tara Hanson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarWed Jun 17 2020
Hiking

Fantastic hike, beautiful scenery. Steep incline all the way up, lots of snow run-off last 1/2 mile, still some snow fields to cross as well. Lake was beautiful and peaceful. There were no other hikes all the way up. Started on trail at 6:30am, took about 1.5 hours to get up to lake.

T F.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarThu Jun 11 2020
Hiking

Spectacular trail for its ever changing scenery and dramatic views! It’s all uphill, but worth every step. I hiked this with my family, and we made until a 1/2 mile from the lake due to the snow.

Brooke Hicks
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarWed Jun 10 2020
HikingRockySnow

Beautiful hike for a road. Still plenty of snow in some areas.

View Brooke's Recording
Nikki Rodriguez
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarSun May 31 2020
Walking

Made it about 2/3 before a thunderstorm came in. Still some deep snow to walk over about a mile in!

View Nikki's Recording
Maria Merkley
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun May 31 2020
HikingFloodedIcyMuddyRockySnow
View Maria's Recording
Ingrid Hockenberry
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSun Apr 19 2020
HikingSnow

Snowshoes recommended!

View Ingrid's Recording
John MacDonald
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMon Mar 16 2020
Hiking

Nice. Spikes, shoes at the top.

View John's Recording
Rachel Fisher
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun Sep 29 2019
Hiking

This is a great hike and totally recommend. Definitely on the moderate-difficult side. When you start it's pretty much straight up hill with a minor plateau and then straight up again. Great work out and so satisfying in the end. When I got to the lake at the top (about 10am) I was the only one there for about 10-15 min and walked up a little higher just for more views. Beautiful hike, barely any people on it. 100% recommend.

Denys Frolkov
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSun Aug 25 2019
HikingRocky

Great trail to the lake. Possible with a 4WD vehicle. Saw some raised Subaru’s and trucks, and a stock 4Runner that got up to the top of the first lake. Road/trail is bad in some spots, but doable as we saw cars coming down through them. Overall, hiking this trail is good and shady. Lots of rocks and loose dirt on the road. Some spots with water. 1 small stream crossing near 2 miles up, can go through water a little or go around the side through the shrubs and cross on a log. Early morning (7:30-8) Sunday isn’t crowded for parking, but the later you go the more cars and people. No fee to park!

View Denys's Recording
Vanessa Chavez
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun Aug 18 2019
OHV/Off Road DrivingBlowdownRocky
View Vanessa's Recording
Rick Lindner
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarTue Aug 06 2019
Hiking

We hiked up from Francie’s Cabin (near the intersection of the Wheeler Trail) several times over three days. The wildflowers were amazing. We saw a deer, a moose and later, above the lake, two mountain goats. We took some fly fishing gear with us on our last hike up and were pleasantly surprised to catch a few trout. The hike up the Crystal Trail to the upper lake was beautiful. There were a few patches of snow, one large enough for us to don snowshoes, but that was mainly because we had them and wanted to use them. We would have been fine without.

Phillip Hill
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarSat Jul 28 2018

The trail is mostly a 4x4 trail and is steep. Definitely hard to walk it and look around. We took it straight up to the lake. Flower were pretty but overall a long uphill grind of a walk with a reward at the end of a small lake. We took Wheeler Trail first to the higher points around the lake. Wow views. Wheeler towards Mohawk was nice hike with great stops to check out running water and mountain views. Wouldn't do just this trail again though.

Megan Korth
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarWed Jul 04 2018

This hike was great! We parked at the spruce creek trailhead and then from the trailhead we went up the 4x4 road about .25 miles until we saw the 803 trail/road on the right. Lake was about 2.4 miles up, and it was easy to stay on the trail. Creek was next to us the first mile. Saw a marmot and deer. Would def do this again!

Pat Ribotto
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSun Jul 01 2018
Hiking

So let me preface by saying that if you aren't in at least semi decent shape, the 1st 3/4 of a mile will gag you. That first section is one of the steepest 4 x 4 roads you can think of. We started this hike from the main parking area for Mohawk and Crystal Lakes. Right after you start up the main road, there is a cutoff to the right for Crystal Lake. It is signed Crystal Creek road. The climbing begins right away, so be prepared. This is also used by 4 x 4 trucks, even given it's level of ugly. After the first 3/4 mile it isn't quite as steep anymore, but still climbs the whole way to the lake. The lake isn't huge, and I have seen better scenery around here. But it's still a nice area for sure. Going on to the upper lake probably really opens up the views. There's definitely fish in this lake too, and they seem to prefer fly's. The mileage posted above is right on, and it took us about 2 hours to get there. Nice short hike, but does involve some steep parts. Did this on a Sunday, and the place is beyond popular!!! Most folks going to the Mohawk Lakes though

Katie Schneider
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarTue Aug 01 2017

Beautiful views as you get to the lake! Good fishing too

Karen Vincent
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun Jul 12 2020
View Karen's Recording