Lower Cataract Loop Trail

Lower Cataract Loop Trail is a 2.3 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Silverthorne, Colorado that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, and fishing and is best used from June until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

The narrow trail has some rocky parts and small incline. Good for all ages. So worth the drive - longer than the walk.
The lake has folks fishing out in a kayak and from the shore. The surrounding beauty and serenity are Colorado.

Easy 2.3 miles with minimal elevation. Beautiful waterfall about half way around.

Spring came early this year so the trail is dry for the most part. (Its typically muddy on the trail near the Cataract) Everything was insanely neon green and breathtaking with the dark blue water!

Great loop trail with lake, waterfall and flora.

Great option for flatlanders. All the aspen leaves have fallen, leaving great views around the lake. Lots of ducks and geese sheltering in west end near falls.

We really enjoyed the hike!

This is a great trail to do if you are just starting off with hiking and want to see some of Colorado's gorgeous views! I have only hiked once before and this was comfortable for me. We went in October and it was very muddy, so keep that in mind when deciding on shoes. The scenery we saw while hiking this area was out of this world!

What a delightful surprise! Went on a Friday afternoon in late Sept. Stunning leaves! Hardly any people. I didn't run into anyone on the trail! This is an easy trail, but there are some very steep and narrow areas. There is a massive waterfall coming off one of the mountains that feeds the lake. It is worth the short drive from Silverthorne.

Beautiful lake and trail. Narrow but easy trail to navigate. There are a few tricky spots where you could slide down steep dirt without proper shoes. Not too busy and plenty of parking.

loved it, easy if you go slow. as an asthmatic who forgot her inhaler, I went slow and held my own.

Very nice easy trail with varied terrain, some woods, some open area. Nice views of the lake and pretty little cascades at the far end of the trail with a well built bridge across it. Perfect for the first day of my trip to acclimate to the altitude. Trail is a bit narrow through the vegetation in some places, but overall an easy trail to navigate.

Beautiful hike! Great for family and flatlanders. It was a little challenging for my 5 year old who isn't used to hiking but we made it around the lake with a few breaks. Cool waterfall with a boardwalk about halfway. About 3 miles of dirt road to get there. A few picnic tables along the lake and a clean restroom near the trailhead.

Great 4k hike to go with the family!! We loved it!

Well kept trail, perfect hike to help adjust to the elevation, without sacrificing breathtaking views. I came right from sea level to the mountains and was really feeling the altitude so this hike was almost totally flat which helped. Also the trail heads a little lower at 8,500 feet.

This is an awesome family friendly hike. We did it at the beginning of our vacation week and it was a great way to ease into the altitude. Lots of pretty views & a waterfall. Loved it!

Beautiful wildflowers and lake on a trail that's not too difficult even for small dogs.

Beautiful hike. It is up a dirt road to get to it. The trail is narrow but super easy all around. The wild flowers are beautiful but bring out the bugs. You may want some repellent this time of year. The falls are nice but the best full view is at the beginning. At the end you go thru an aspen forest. Definitely done good variety in the scenery for a short hike. Perfect for kids

I am a flat lander, well maybe. This trail was a amazing experience for me. The falls are spectacular as seen from the TH. Take your photos of the falls from that point of view. You are in with the trees and/or you are above the lake most of the time giving you the best view of the lake but not the falls. Fortunately there is a wonderful bridge that crosses the water near the falls to get on the other side of the lake. The very easiest part of the hike is on the side to your left of the falls. I started on the trail to my right as I faced the falls, taking the road. Stop and take in the scenery along the way.

That day there were many hikers. They were all very friendly and encouraging. Thank you all for that consideration. I must have looked very much like that flat lander. The hike was a confirmation of my power to overcome an injury I had in January, a broken ankle. This beautiful hike and the people friendly experience gave me complete joy.

Beautiful hike with wild flowers, the lake, and a waterfall. Surprisingly has all different types of trail from woody forested areas to open fields with flowers.

beautiful lake, waterfall and wildflowers. good hike for kids and flat landers
my dogs almost attached by unleashed dog.
dogs need to on leash in wilderness area.

My wife and I took our 3 boys; 11, 4, 1. It wasn't too bad difficulty wise. My 4 year old led the way. A around a mile in is the waterfall. It's really is amazing. You can hear it from the lake which the trail loops around. Worth it. Not a bad place to put in a canoe or kayak.

Wildflowers are absolutely spectacular!!!

It may be a drive to this hike but it's well worth it. Great wildflowers, a waterfall and great scenery. I would consider this an easy hike.

Great trail to hike. Loved the waterfall.

Beautiful easy trail! My toddler hiked the whole thing. Can see the waterfall from the start of the trail and hear it the whole hike. Trail is very narrow but goes around the lake through aspen groves, evergreen forest, meadows, and across the river twice. Lots of wildflowers blooming! It was 85 degrees today so pretty hot - make sure you bring water. And bug spray - lots of mosquitos and biting flies near the water. Bathroom available at trailhead.

Amazing. Pretty easy trail and the reward is magnificent. We climbed the path to the waterfall and it was beautiful and well worth the climb.

Hiked this twice during our stay in Frisco. Once as a mother-daughter breakfast hike and it was so amazing, we felt like we 'had' to share the next day with the boys, lol. It was just that beautiful. Go early, especially on weekends. Many wildflowers in bloom, another week and it will be perfect. Lovely trail. Easy with lots of 'rewards' for kids if you have them along. Although an easy hike, it was one of our favorites from vacation and plan to return. Saw geese, a beaver, duck with her ducklings, a snake, and a marmot happily sunning himself on a log.

Hiked the loop around the trail during mud season. Plants were just beginning to emerge. Saw 3 eagles fishing, a beaver building his dam and a young bull moose grazing at the waters edge. Good views of the falls. I want to hike this again in early July when the wildflowers are in full bloom. Good easy hike.

Thursday, June 15, 2017

Awesome hike! Gorgeous views and even saw a moose!

Sunday, June 04, 2017

Easy, family friendly trail. Good views and a waterfall. We saw evidence of beavers but didn't see any. Can get very muddy so be aware of that.