Lovell Gulch Trail

Lovell Gulch Trail is a 4.9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Woodland Park, Colorado that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 4.9 miles Elevation Gain: 872 feet Route Type: Loop

scenic driving

Directions from Colorado Springs: Drive 18 miles west on Highway 24 to Woodland Park. Turn right on Baldwin Avenue at the traffic light immediately east of the McDonald's. Continue driving straight on this road. It becomes Rampart Range Road within a mile. The trailhead is north of Woodland Park on Rampart Range Road, next to the City Road Maintenance Building.

In a previous review, Amy pretty much summed it up. Wildflowers and huge old Aspens are the highlights.

My favorite part of the hike was walking through the meadow with all the flowers, aspens, and giant boulders. The rest was okay. This isn't a hike I'd be eager to do again or bring out-of-towners to, but it's great for a quick trip to the outdoors.

Great hike through forest and hills. Beautiful scenery most of the way. If you go clockwise around the loop it’s quite steep in some areas in the beginning and then gets much easier and maybe prettier towards the end once you turn the corner of the gulch. Definitely moderate, not difficult. 3 cars in lot at 830am on Thursday morning and about 15 when I returned at 10:30am.

the trail is great but the map is completelly missalligned with the actual trail

If you go left it’s steep for a bit and then meandering. So a good workout start and then cool finish. So many flowers right now! (July 2019)

This was my first real hiking trail since moving to Colorado. Coming from Florida, the elevation changes were quite dramatic. However, the amazing views and wonderful smells along the trail soon made me forget all about how tired and out of breathe I was. My schnauzer had a great time as well. We met only a few other people on the trail and were greeted warmly by all. P.S. I picked up the doggy poo and carried out of the forest.

nice 2-2:30 walk. saw just a few hikers and bikers. people need to clean up their dog crap.

it was a fun trail hiking mainly thru pine and Birch trees and the occasional view of Pike's peak. It would be nice if the people with their dogs would pick up their dogs poop. There were many bags of dog poo on the trail and I even stepped on a fresh pile not in a bag because I was trying to enjoy the view instead of watch for dog poop.

Nice hike with good balance between alpine woods and open forest. Power lines not appealing and for washouts need some loving care but still a good experience. Lightly traveled at our day and time.

Smells were amazing.

The trail was really nice. Very well kept and absolutely no garbage on the trail. The trail was easy to follow and well marked . As other reviewers said, the trail is shaped like a balloon on a string. You start at the bottom of the string and then go around the balloon and finally back down the string. There is some good views, cool boulders, and plenty of trees. I got more of a forest hiking vibe than a mountain vibe. The best part of the hike was lack of other people . Very few people were on the trail. I was there on a Friday around 5:30pm and didn't see another person .

Very nice trail (3.25 miles of it). Well maintained and clearly marked. First 3/4 mile is not the most scenic. As others have stated, the views of Pikes Peak are very nice

It was great!! Definitely will be going back for seconds!! A little harder then I expected as I am a beginner mountain biker. Great challenge!!

Great trail for a relatively short hike! Started out at 8:15am, only two other cars in lot. First hike of the season, took just over 2 hours with a couple breaks along the way. Great views of Pikes Peak! Started to get busier on the way down. Only saw one other person (mountain biking) during our first 1.75 hours.

I loved this trail! It was definitely a bit of a challenge — we had a 7 year old with us, and while he made it the entire way, there were some uphill stretches that wore him out completely. We picked the left side of where the trail forks and loops around, and while it wasn’t hard, it was definitely the hillier of the two options. The end of the trail was snowy and icy and muddy, so be careful, but it was beautiful and we had a lot of fun!

Great trail, few spots of oh I kinda wish I had snow /ice shoes but it was manageable. Just hike it!

There are definitely some muddy parts and snowy sections, but the snow is packed down so it’s still easy to follow the trail. The views of Pikes Peak from the top were beautiful! There were a couple of fallen trees across the trail, I’m guessing from the storm a couple of weeks ago, but they were easy enough to climb over. I’m excited to try this trail during the fall.

Did 2 miles out and back. Snowy and some mud in spots. Heard shooting off in distance at beginning of trail, got quiet as trail went on. Good incline in spots, flat in other spots. Beautiful forest setting 1 mile in! Nice views of Pikes towards beginning. I will definitely be back later to do the whole loop!

I frequent this trail often as close to home, some sunny spots, nice views of Pikes Peak, a few moderate climbs. For the first time I noticed a lot more dog poop along the trail and litter discarded off the parking lot. I plan to head back tomorrow to pick up litter. Please hikers help me clean up after others, or if this is you - please pick up after yourself and after your dog.

Nice little detour starting I’ll pie on a ridge with views of pikes Peak and even the Tarryalls . Half way point hit on Rampart Range Road then reconnect with the trail probably 6 miles total

Did the whole loop today (middle of winter). Was difficult going through the snow, but became one of my favourite trails. Picks in incline but worth it when you get to the very top. 5/5 would recommend. Will revisit during spring.

Nice loop. Expansive views. Walking CW the elevation change is steeper than hiking CCW.

Getting snow-packed in shady areas, with occasional ice. I didn’t need microspikes.....which is good since I didn’t have them with me. Not at all crowded this morning. My dog and I saw seven people and nine dogs.....all friendly.

Varying views and terrain. Great hike to take your four legged companion

Really enjoyed that this was a quiet trail- the downside is that most of the big views you are afforded are because of a power line that cuts through the landscape:/ Always a good day for a hike... but the quietness of this trail is probably the main reason I would have in coming back.

9-29-2018: Pluses - Some fall color, no idea if it's peak or past, seemed mixed depending on the area. Not crowded. Well marked. Well maintained trails. Dedicated parking lot. Some good views. Minuses - Power lines. Road. Generally not far enough from civilization. A motorcycle passed us on the trail.

Enjoyed the trail overall. The first mile or so was a little boring and the Aspens near the trailhead were mostly all green (9-23-18). The entire trail had a bunch of Aspens and it wasn’t until about the halfway point that we started seeing color. The hike was pretty easy - only a few parts with a decent incline. It took my wife, 4 year old and I about 3 hours to complete the loop with lots of stopping for pictures and lunch. I’m not a trail runner but this would be a nice trail for that. The only major bummer about the trail was following the power lines, but that was expected. Really enjoyed seeing views of Pikes Peak for the majority of the hike.

Small parking lot/trailhead was tucked behind some houses. Turn L into the parking lot with a city maintenance building (looks like a fire station) and the trailhead is just beyond it. Trail was nice and pretty well marked. Some beautiful views and the aspen trees were turning (some full yellow, others almost there). There were some steep climbs but they leveled off and most of the 5 miles was a pleasant level hike (we went clockwise) There is cell coverage so we were able to check the AllTrails app about 1/2 way through the hike to make sure we were on the right track.