Lovell Gulch Trail

Lovell Gulch Trail is a 4.9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Woodland Park, Colorado that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

scenic driving

Directions from Colorado Springs: Drive 18 miles west on Highway 24 to Woodland Park. Turn right on Baldwin Avenue at the traffic light immediately east of the McDonald's. Continue driving straight on this road. It becomes Rampart Range Road within a mile. The trailhead is north of Woodland Park on Rampart Range Road, next to the City Road Maintenance Building.

This is one of the prettiest trails I've done in a long time. It's a very diverse trail in just 5 miles: lots of grassland and wildflowers, forest and small streams. I would rate this trail as "easy" vs. moderate, as it is more of a stroll than a hike. However, you get to see some pretty nice views of Pikes Peak and the surrounding area. Not a lot of people on trail either, which is nice. Highly recommended for a quick hike!

nice place to get out and close to town in woodland. nice rock features in the middle and nice view at the top but no real wow moments. mostly in the shade which is nice

Saw a mountain lion hiking this June 29, 2018. I must have startled it when I accidentally got off on a gaming trail and bushwhacked back to the main trail. No other hikers/bikers on the trail all afternoon. Quiet, half of the loop is shaded. Beautiful views particularly on the last half of the trip. Well kept - but some washout toward the last 1/5 of the loop.

Nice hike. Good flowers. Some shade. Only saw 2 hikers, 3 bikers and 2 horse on a Sunday. Pretty great for so close to town. (WP)

It is a great trail! Clearly marked, if you don’t wander. Views are few and far between, and some steep areas! I was hoping for more water along the way, but it was perfect for my pups. I did the loop with an American Eskimo/Pom and my ACD/GSD.

very nice trail with some good views

Very nice trail - easy to find and well marked. Some very nice views of Pike's Peak, and not too crowded on a Saturday morning. No facilities at the trailhead, but close to town so plenty of options.

I love this trail. Hike it year around. Wildflowers are great in summer, leaves in the fall and the views are very nice at the top part. My friend and I actually saw a mountain goat on the trail yesterday. He must have been really lost.... I’ve never seen one below tree line or any in that area.

Good easy trail. Dog friendly, not too many people, great views.

I expected more based on other reviews. It’s an ok trail with some nice parts - the trail is clearly marked and easy to traverse. But beyond that the loop to the left is largely a steady incline for 2 miles that moves along - or near - a power line; it’s not as busy as the other portion of the trail, and I didn’t see one person the first 2.5 miles.

The loop to the right has a nice grove of aspens and is an easy stroll with some stream views but is much busier with mountain bikers and hikers - it has that “I expect to see plenty of people” feel to it. The trailhead to the beginning of the loop has dog poo scattered here and there, which is sadly the case with most trails.

Gentle climb rewarded with beautiful views of Pikes Peak and South Park on the way down. Great trail for running and well marked.

Nice trail. Contrary to previous post, bikers should be respectful of hikers, not the other way around. According to forest service rules, Bikes yield to both Hikers and and Horseback riders. This is especially important due to hills and blind curves where bikes could collide with hikers and Horseback riders with disastrous results for all.

Not many views, but a nice trip.

It's OK.

Really nice trail for novice hikers. Went clockwise to tackle the incline first, wooded with a few really nice views. After walking to the loop, the next couple miles were not easy due to rise in elevation, but not technical; lots of trail to work with. The descent was absolutely beautiful; really enjoyed the massive boulders, the woods closed in around you.

Good hike. Snowed a few inches the night before which actually might have been a good thing, as it was pretty icy in some spots. We went clockwise and the 2nd half was really nice in the woods.

Hiked on 2/17/18. Open spots on the trail were dry, shaded spots were snowy. Icy near the stream and a couple of places along the trail. Crampons/micros recommended but not absolutely needed. Beautiful trail with amazing views!

I usually run 2 miles in then turn around and head back the way I came. the loop is a bit too much for me now. It gets very steep towards that two mile mark. The views are amazing! I usually see one or two people. Most of the trail was clear and dry except for a very short section on the back side of the hill. This trail is really good for those looking to increase muscle and stamina. Road running will be a breeze after training here for a couple weeks!

Great place to mountain bike, hike, run, or let dogs run. If on foot, please be respectful to bikers. Dogs can be off leash if they respond to verbal commands. Sometimes busy after school/work and on weekends when the weather is nice. Tons of old trails still accessible, making this loop extend even further.

1/1/2018 Such a great place to hike. If you’re up in the Woodlands Park area definitely worth it. Took my 10yr old son and dog with no difficulties, we went on a Monday and only ran into maybe a half dozen people.
Update:
1/8/2018 Went again today did the whole loop, totally worth it. It’s 5.5 miles from where you park and back. Go left at the start of the loop if you want to get the hard stuff out of the way. Did not see a single person this time. Can’t wait to see this place in the spring.

Pretty hike. Entrance can be hard to find (right in front of infrastructure building.

Hike is pretty easy, we took our 5 year old. Looks like there are some areas to go off trail that could be harder.

amazing hike. The views got better as I went through.

This is a moderately difficult trail that passes through forests of Spruce, Aspen, Pine, and Ponderosa pine. This trail has a little of everything, with wonderful views of the surrounding mountains and hiking along side the stream. Trail 360 on YouTube

This was a pretty easy trail. A little difficult to stay on track as there are other trails that run in to it, but follow the markers of keep an eye on your map at intersections to make sure you don't get side tracked. I went right at the split which allowed for a good downhill run towards the end. Only saw a few other people (3 total) but this was a Monday morning. I'd assume weekends would be a bit busier.

On vacation and had several recommendations for this trail. It was beautiful and secluded. Be sure to go right at the trail sign by the creek, left is much steeper so was better for the descent. Watch for mountain bikes on the 1st mile. Mid Sept the aspen were beautiful.

My son, GSD and I had a lot of fun during this hike today. It was peaceful, gave us some exercise and while we saw several people it did not feel to crowded. The only part I would correct in the description is the river, as they only water source we saw was an itty bitty creek.

Decent day hike. The trail does take you through some man made stuff (city buildings, telephone poles, a few houses) which is a negative for me. Pretty views, pretty easy hike.

I loved this hike! I took the counterclockwise way around the trail which was a good choice since the climb was very steady. There were plenty of offshoots from the trail in the first mile but after that, it's pretty easy to follow. My dog also loved it! Plenty of other friendly dogs to meet and several creek crossings where he could drink some water.

Monday, July 17, 2017

Awesome hike with beautiful wildflowers and amazing views! Only saw one other hiker the whole time but we went early on a Monday. The only reason I gave it four stars is some of the views get obstructed by telephone poles... it's too bad but still worth it and an awesome hike!!! Would definitely recommend.

Monday, May 15, 2017

Best to have your app out for the first 5-10 minutes as the signs saying "trail can lead you astray to the left if you haven't been here before. 15 May--66°, sunny. Great temperature, no snow in sight. Decent trail run, not much greenery or many water features. Trail follows power lines for over 50% of the distance. 3.5 stars. Nice to try once!