Lovell Gulch Trail

Lovell Gulch Trail is a 4.9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Woodland Park, Colorado that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

scenic driving

Directions from Colorado Springs: Drive 18 miles west on Highway 24 to Woodland Park. Turn right on Baldwin Avenue at the traffic light immediately east of the McDonald's. Continue driving straight on this road. It becomes Rampart Range Road within a mile. The trailhead is north of Woodland Park on Rampart Range Road, next to the City Road Maintenance Building.

Did the whole loop today (middle of winter). Was difficult going through the snow, but became one of my favourite trails. Picks in incline but worth it when you get to the very top. 5/5 would recommend. Will revisit during spring.

Nice loop. Expansive views.
Walking CW the elevation change is steeper than hiking CCW.

Getting snow-packed in shady areas, with occasional ice. I didn’t need microspikes.....which is good since I didn’t have them with me.

Not at all crowded this morning. My dog and I saw seven people and nine dogs.....all friendly.

Varying views and terrain. Great hike to take your four legged companion

Really enjoyed that this was a quiet trail- the downside is that most of the big views you are afforded are because of a power line that cuts through the landscape:/ Always a good day for a hike... but the quietness of this trail is probably the main reason I would have in coming back.

9-29-2018:
Pluses - Some fall color, no idea if it's peak or past, seemed mixed depending on the area. Not crowded. Well marked. Well maintained trails. Dedicated parking lot. Some good views.
Minuses - Power lines. Road. Generally not far enough from civilization. A motorcycle passed us on the trail.

Enjoyed the trail overall. The first mile or so was a little boring and the Aspens near the trailhead were mostly all green (9-23-18). The entire trail had a bunch of Aspens and it wasn’t until about the halfway point that we started seeing color. The hike was pretty easy - only a few parts with a decent incline. It took my wife, 4 year old and I about 3 hours to complete the loop with lots of stopping for pictures and lunch. I’m not a trail runner but this would be a nice trail for that. The only major bummer about the trail was following the power lines, but that was expected. Really enjoyed seeing views of Pikes Peak for the majority of the hike.

Small parking lot/trailhead was tucked behind some houses. Turn L into the parking lot with a city maintenance building (looks like a fire station) and the trailhead is just beyond it. Trail was nice and pretty well marked. Some beautiful views and the aspen trees were turning (some full yellow, others almost there). There were some steep climbs but they leveled off and most of the 5 miles was a pleasant level hike (we went clockwise) There is cell coverage so we were able to check the AllTrails app about 1/2 way through the hike to make sure we were on the right track.

very nice trail. some great views and the aspens are beautiful. In a few days they will be glowing!!

Good hike. No big “wow” factors, but a good hike to get away from city life and enjoy some fresh mountain air. Few good views of pikes peak. Little slippery going down hill on the gravel/rocks but not too bad. Trail is marked well along the whole trail. Definitely a horse trail...

Did this trail with my wife and (adult) daughter on September 1, 2018 and overall it's a fun trail. We clocked it a 6.3 miles on both phones. Note that while there is water on the trail, calling it a creek is an somewhat of an exaggeration. It's mostly stagnant and is running very slightly at the beginning of the fork.

Very beautiful hike. Trail head is hidden, but it’s there! Follow the directions on this app to the trail head. This trail goes up and down the entire way. (Intense if you are carrying weight like a toddler) You cross a Main Street which is random.

My husband and I really liked this trail. Absolutely beautiful views and some good inclines to get the heart rate going. There were some great spots to stop and eat our lunch and just take it all in. We'll definitely do this one again.

This is one of the prettiest trails I've done in a long time. It's a very diverse trail in just 5 miles: lots of grassland and wildflowers, forest and small streams. I would rate this trail as "easy" vs. moderate, as it is more of a stroll than a hike. However, you get to see some pretty nice views of Pikes Peak and the surrounding area. Not a lot of people on trail either, which is nice. Highly recommended for a quick hike!

nice place to get out and close to town in woodland. nice rock features in the middle and nice view at the top but no real wow moments. mostly in the shade which is nice

Saw a mountain lion hiking this June 29, 2018. I must have startled it when I accidentally got off on a gaming trail and bushwhacked back to the main trail. No other hikers/bikers on the trail all afternoon. Quiet, half of the loop is shaded. Beautiful views particularly on the last half of the trip. Well kept - but some washout toward the last 1/5 of the loop.

It is a great trail! Clearly marked, if you don’t wander. Views are few and far between, and some steep areas! I was hoping for more water along the way, but it was perfect for my pups. I did the loop with an American Eskimo/Pom and my ACD/GSD.

very nice trail with some good views

Very nice trail - easy to find and well marked. Some very nice views of Pike's Peak, and not too crowded on a Saturday morning. No facilities at the trailhead, but close to town so plenty of options.

I love this trail. Hike it year around. Wildflowers are great in summer, leaves in the fall and the views are very nice at the top part. My friend and I actually saw a mountain goat on the trail yesterday. He must have been really lost.... I’ve never seen one below tree line or any in that area.

Good easy trail. Dog friendly, not too many people, great views.

I expected more based on other reviews. It’s an ok trail with some nice parts - the trail is clearly marked and easy to traverse. But beyond that the loop to the left is largely a steady incline for 2 miles that moves along - or near - a power line; it’s not as busy as the other portion of the trail, and I didn’t see one person the first 2.5 miles.

The loop to the right has a nice grove of aspens and is an easy stroll with some stream views but is much busier with mountain bikers and hikers - it has that “I expect to see plenty of people” feel to it. The trailhead to the beginning of the loop has dog poo scattered here and there, which is sadly the case with most trails.

Gentle climb rewarded with beautiful views of Pikes Peak and South Park on the way down. Great trail for running and well marked.

Nice trail. Contrary to previous post, bikers should be respectful of hikers, not the other way around. According to forest service rules, Bikes yield to both Hikers and and Horseback riders. This is especially important due to hills and blind curves where bikes could collide with hikers and Horseback riders with disastrous results for all.

Not many views, but a nice trip.

It's OK.

Really nice trail for novice hikers. Went clockwise to tackle the incline first, wooded with a few really nice views. After walking to the loop, the next couple miles were not easy due to rise in elevation, but not technical; lots of trail to work with. The descent was absolutely beautiful; really enjoyed the massive boulders, the woods closed in around you.

Good hike. Snowed a few inches the night before which actually might have been a good thing, as it was pretty icy in some spots. We went clockwise and the 2nd half was really nice in the woods.

Hiked on 2/17/18. Open spots on the trail were dry, shaded spots were snowy. Icy near the stream and a couple of places along the trail. Crampons/micros recommended but not absolutely needed. Beautiful trail with amazing views!

I usually run 2 miles in then turn around and head back the way I came. the loop is a bit too much for me now. It gets very steep towards that two mile mark. The views are amazing! I usually see one or two people. Most of the trail was clear and dry except for a very short section on the back side of the hill. This trail is really good for those looking to increase muscle and stamina. Road running will be a breeze after training here for a couple weeks!