Lovell Gulch Trail

Lovell Gulch Trail is a 4.9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Woodland Park, Colorado that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

fly fishing

scenic driving

Directions from Colorado Springs: Drive 18 miles west on Highway 24 to Woodland Park. Turn right on Baldwin Avenue at the traffic light immediately east of the McDonald's. Continue driving straight on this road. It becomes Rampart Range Road within a mile. The trailhead is north of Woodland Park on Rampart Range Road, next to the City Road Maintenance Building.

amazing hike. The views got better as I went through.

This is a moderately difficult trail that passes through forests of Spruce, Aspen, Pine, and Ponderosa pine. This trail has a little of everything, with wonderful views of the surrounding mountains and hiking along side the stream. Trail 360 on YouTube

This was a pretty easy trail. A little difficult to stay on track as there are other trails that run in to it, but follow the markers of keep an eye on your map at intersections to make sure you don't get side tracked. I went right at the split which allowed for a good downhill run towards the end. Only saw a few other people (3 total) but this was a Monday morning. I'd assume weekends would be a bit busier.

On vacation and had several recommendations for this trail. It was beautiful and secluded. Be sure to go right at the trail sign by the creek, left is much steeper so was better for the descent. Watch for mountain bikes on the 1st mile. Mid Sept the aspen were beautiful.

My son, GSD and I had a lot of fun during this hike today. It was peaceful, gave us some exercise and while we saw several people it did not feel to crowded. The only part I would correct in the description is the river, as they only water source we saw was an itty bitty creek.

Decent day hike. The trail does take you through some man made stuff (city buildings, telephone poles, a few houses) which is a negative for me. Pretty views, pretty easy hike.

I loved this hike! I took the counterclockwise way around the trail which was a good choice since the climb was very steady. There were plenty of offshoots from the trail in the first mile but after that, it's pretty easy to follow. My dog also loved it! Plenty of other friendly dogs to meet and several creek crossings where he could drink some water.

Awesome hike with beautiful wildflowers and amazing views! Only saw one other hiker the whole time but we went early on a Monday. The only reason I gave it four stars is some of the views get obstructed by telephone poles... it's too bad but still worth it and an awesome hike!!! Would definitely recommend.

Best to have your app out for the first 5-10 minutes as the signs saying "trail can lead you astray to the left if you haven't been here before. 15 May--66°, sunny. Great temperature, no snow in sight. Decent trail run, not much greenery or many water features. Trail follows power lines for over 50% of the distance. 3.5 stars. Nice to try once!

Be careful if you're following the map on the app as you do the loop. There are some parts that look like you're going off trail but you're still heading in the right direction. Just keep looking for poles with white diamonds.

Monday, October 17, 2016

Great hike! Easy signs to follow along the way.

Sunday, September 25, 2016

nice colors!

Wednesday, July 27, 2016

Our first hike in Woodland Park, and it was beautiful!

Saturday, June 18, 2016

First trail our family did since arriving. Great scenery, small stream crossing. Good for beginners.

Friday, June 17, 2016

Great loop along creek and through many aspen groves. Very green, return loop in counterclock direction spends a bit too long under power lines. Very accessible and good parking.

Saturday, June 11, 2016

went today. ...we got caught in a bad storm and we went to the left and that had some pretty steep hills. Overall it was good

Thursday, June 09, 2016

We hiked this trail today with our dog. We are older and new at hiking so this hike was quite a challenge for us. We did as one of the other reviewers advised and went counterclockwise when we reached the loop which probably saved our lives. The steep hill we went down was crazy.. cant imagine if we had gone the other way and had to hike up it.. I don't know if we would have made it. We did make it all the way around.. it took us 3 hours to do the 5 miles.. again.. we are old and a bit overweight... so we were slow. we saw young people jogging the trails.. The views were amazing and we were proud of ourselves for completing the loop. We had a little trouble finding our car on the way back.. probably because we were so exhausted... but all in all we had a wonderful day. Its a great hike but a challenge as there were quite a few steep hills.

Monday, May 30, 2016

Nice trail with cool views, large electric lines running right through kind of steals any feeling of getting away. Has a lot of false trails coming off the main trail. I ended up getting off the trail and had to make my way down a steep grade off trail to get back to the trail head.

Sunday, May 29, 2016

Good trail with easy markers for directions. river was small but offered by dog a nice cool drink. Incline was good exercise, will do again!

Saturday, March 12, 2016

We passed the sign that said where the trail head was so I took a picture of it so other newbies would know where it was. The beginning of the trail is good and easy to hike. Some spots were muddy from melting snow on the trail. Yes. there are several trails that branch off but we were able to keep on the main trail by marked signs and visible wear on the main trail. As we got further into the gulch there was more snow and the trail had a lot of frozen areas. Everyone else who we ran into had crampons and I wished I owned a pair. We were still able to press on but it was a slow go of it.