Lost Trail Road

Lost Trail Road is a 15.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Marble, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

off road driving

Directions from Carbondale: Travel south on Hwy. 133 25 miles from Carbondale. Turn left on County Road 3 into the town of Marble. Travel past Beaver Lake on the 4WD road. One mile beyond the lake, take road #315, or Lead King Basin jeep trail, to the left of the stream crossing. Park at the trailhead.

Went up on a Mother's Day hike to the Crystal Mill taking the low road in. I let the ladies return the same way, but I completed the Lead King Loop which goes up this road. Above 10,500ft things were still pretty snow-covered. Not impossible without, but wished I had brought my snowshoes. Feet got really wet, glad I brought extra pairs of socks.

The road was completely obscured by snow near the top, so I got a little lost and followed the Silver Creek watershed too far up, had to backtrack. Wasn't too hard.

Many creek crossings, maybe 6-7. I did see fresh bear tracks in the snow and mud about 1.5 miles up into Lead King Basin from the town of Crystal.

All in all, a beautiful hike despite the challenges and discomforts of the early springtime.