Lost Man Trail

Lost Man Trail is a 8.7 mile moderately trafficked point-to-point trail located near Aspen, Colorado that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 8.7 miles Elevation Gain: 1,387 feet Route Type: Point to Point

Directions from Aspen: 1. Lost Man Campground: Drive 14 miles east of Aspen on Highway 82 to the parking lot directly across from Lost Man Campground. The trailhead begins on the left (north) side of the highway. 2. Last Switchback: Drive 18-1/2 miles east of Aspen on Highway 82 to the parking lot at the last switchback before the top of Independence Pass. The trailhead is on the left (north) side of the highway.

NOT HARD just long. Incredible the entire way.

If you love mountain peaks in every direction, water, flowers, lakes and passes, then this one has it all. No way should this one be considered a loop though. Walking the miles of Independence Pass would be a gamble on your life. We did check out a bit of the views from South Fork Pass and explored the lakes a bit - my GPS read a bit over 10 miles

Beautiful hike. We parked two cars and went around the loop. Great views and some really cool mountain lakes.

Creek sounds, alpine wildflowers, mountain goats (far away, but we saw them!), ending at a beautiful mountain lake. Hiked this from Independence Pass trailhead to the lake- little over 5 miles out/back.

Beautiful went up to the saddle and came back down- some muddy spots but mostly beautiful well marked trail.

My favorite hike! Something of everything mountains have to offer.

My favorite hike anywhere. Something of everything the mountains have to offer.

Still can’t get to top. 7/14/19 due to snow. Had to turn around just below first alpine lake near top. Then 7.5 miles back down to trail head.

I don't know how the trail would be, I just went up to about 12,000 ft and then turned around because of foul weather. Parking is clean. Trail is covered in deep mushy snow. I had to put on snowshoes and was still postholing in places. That was late in the morning though, maybe earlier it's still feasible without.

The parking area is still under several feet of snow.

Sat Sep 22 2018

Beautiful trail in the fall, even if you just go to Independence Lake.

Fri Sep 14 2018

Loved this hike. Started at Lost Msbn TH and walked up to what might be described as the head of the valley about halfway before turning back. Pity this 'loop' trail doesn't end back at he same spot. A real walkers hike rather than a climb at least for the part I did. Super views and open all the way. Saw one person on the way back in the afternoon, a hunter looking for deer. Hope he didn't find any.

Sun Aug 12 2018

What a great way to get away into the mountains fast! We drove from Carbondale in the morning on a Wednesday in late August. The 3 of us had the full spectrum of hiking experience, so we hiked to the pace of our slowest friend—and we had a great hike! We parked at the hairpin turn (the upper trailhead) that you encounter before Independence Pass—plenty of parking there and it’s a paved surface. So we did the hike counter-clockwise and reached Independence Lake after 2 hours of very slow hiking. My friend has a heart condition, so we’re happy she could come so far! We hiked to the saddle above the lake and stopped for a half hour as we watched a herd of mountain goats approach and pass us on the trail. We decided to turn back to the car so our friend could rest but my athletic husband decided to trail run the rest of the loop (so he continued on past Lost Man Lake). So we split up and by the time I reached the parking lot for the Lost Man Lake Campground, he was already there (albeit very sweaty). I’m posting this long narrative hoping it shows just how awesome of a trail this is—a short morning hike, a trail run loop, a picnic spot, wildlife viewing, wildflowers even in late August, a camping option, clearly marked trail, and easy access.

Wed Aug 08 2018

My favorite hike! Majestic views with lovely lakeside picnic spots. Makes for a wonderful day in the mountains. Two-car shuttle is perfect with starting point at Linkin Lake/Lost Man TH and second car awaiting at Lost Man Campground/TH below:)

Sun Jun 10 2018

My wife and I decided to hike 2.5 miles up this trail, beginning at the Western TH (Linkin Lake side), which takes you up to the saddle above Independence Lake. For a day hike this was perfect -- LOTS of snow on the trail. We didn't need spikes, but the trail disappears in the snow for most of the route, and there was some surprise post-holing as we stepped gingerly across some of the snow fields. Pretty exhausting, but the views were well worth it! There is a (very) wet river crossing near the start, so bring some water shoes.

Sun Jun 10 2018

Take two cars and drop the one at the lower trail head for this four hour hike over beautiful tundra forest and the Rocky Mountains

Sun Dec 03 2017

Definitely one of my favorite day hikes. At the peak, we just had bagels and cheese, with the glorious view of the lake. Returned with some friends visiting from California; they loved it.

Sat Oct 07 2017

Snowy, muddy, wet and sloppy but still a gorgeous view at the top. Stunning panoramic views halfway up the trail.

Sat Oct 07 2017

My wife and I explored this hike the last weekend on August of this year. There are two entrances off of 82, we ended up beginning on the entrance faster to the west, but I would suggest starting at the trailhead further east along 82. We actually didn't complete the loop as indicated on the map bust just did an out ab back. Beginning from the western trail head, the trail is a gentle slope up, providing beautiful views of a lush valley. The grade steepens a bit as you progress, but nothing too bad. Near the top, the trail splits, taking the path to the right will keep you on the lost man loop. We bent around for a bit and admired the range to the east before turning back. Little did we know that continuing on the loop will take you to a high point at a pass that is supposed to be quite nice. The trail head on farther east of the loop will get you to the pass more quickly if you wanted to make this a shorter out and back. The whole trip for us (as an out an back from the western trailhead) took about 3 hours with breaks.

Tue Sep 26 2017

Easy path

Wed Sep 06 2017

Arrived at trail head around 7:45. Hiked up to Linkins Lake first. Got some beautiful pictures of the lake. The trail to the pass is very open, a steady climb, well marked, and challenging because of the altitude. We took pictures of Independence Lake and Lost Man Lake. Only a dozen people on the trail during our hike.

Mon Aug 21 2017

A beautiful, awe-inspiring hike from the get go. Start early as this trail is popular and gets busy mid-morning. I only went to the pass, but want to do the car shuttle next time!

Mon Aug 21 2017

My son and I camped at Lost Man Campground (beautiful but few sites). It sits across the road from the lower TH of the trail. We had our packs and hitched a ride to the upper TH. It took all of 5-10 minutes to get the ride. A local picked us up and said most people in the area would know exactly what we were doing because we had backpacks and where we were standing. We took two days. (My son had just flown in 2 days before after living at sea level.) Great views most everywhere you looked. Slept in the trees uphill from the creek. Probably no one had camped there before, and the pine needles were 2-3 inches thick. Nice.

Sat Aug 19 2017

It was a great hike with great views. I would definitely do it again.

Mon Jul 31 2017

A Colorado favorite of mine. If you're used to life at sea level, you may wanna take a day or two at high altitude to acclimate before hiking it. Gorgeous.