Lost Man Trail

Lost Man Trail is a 16.7 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Aspen, Colorado that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, and backpacking and is best used from June until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Directions from Aspen: 1. Lost Man Campground: Drive 14 miles east of Aspen on Highway 82 to the parking lot directly across from Lost Man Campground. The trailhead begins on the left (north) side of the highway. 2. Last Switchback: Drive 18-1/2 miles east of Aspen on Highway 82 to the parking lot at the last switchback before the top of Independence Pass. The trailhead is on the left (north) side of the highway.

My wife and I decided to hike 2.5 miles up this trail, beginning at the Western TH (Linkin Lake side), which takes you up to the saddle above Independence Lake. For a day hike this was perfect -- LOTS of snow on the trail. We didn't need spikes, but the trail disappears in the snow for most of the route, and there was some surprise post-holing as we stepped gingerly across some of the snow fields. Pretty exhausting, but the views were well worth it! There is a (very) wet river crossing near the start, so bring some water shoes.

Take two cars and drop the one at the lower trail head for this four hour hike over beautiful tundra forest and the Rocky Mountains

Definitely one of my favorite day hikes. At the peak, we just had bagels and cheese, with the glorious view of the lake. Returned with some friends visiting from California; they loved it.

Snowy, muddy, wet and sloppy but still a gorgeous view at the top. Stunning panoramic views halfway up the trail.

My wife and I explored this hike the last weekend on August of this year. There are two entrances off of 82, we ended up beginning on the entrance faster to the west, but I would suggest starting at the trailhead further east along 82. We actually didn't complete the loop as indicated on the map bust just did an out ab back. Beginning from the western trail head, the trail is a gentle slope up, providing beautiful views of a lush valley. The grade steepens a bit as you progress, but nothing too bad. Near the top, the trail splits, taking the path to the right will keep you on the lost man loop. We bent around for a bit and admired the range to the east before turning back. Little did we know that continuing on the loop will take you to a high point at a pass that is supposed to be quite nice. The trail head on farther east of the loop will get you to the pass more quickly if you wanted to make this a shorter out and back. The whole trip for us (as an out an back from the western trailhead) took about 3 hours with breaks.

Chemin facile

Arrived at trail head around 7:45. Hiked up to Linkins Lake first. Got some beautiful pictures of the lake. The trail to the pass is very open, a steady climb, well marked, and challenging because of the altitude. We took pictures of Independence Lake and Lost Man Lake. Only a dozen people on the trail during our hike.

A beautiful, awe-inspiring hike from the get go. Start early as this trail is popular and gets busy mid-morning. I only went to the pass, but want to do the car shuttle next time!

It was a great hike with great views. I would definitely do it again.

A Colorado favorite of mine. If you're used to life at sea level, you may wanna take a day or two at high altitude to acclimate before hiking it. Gorgeous.

hiked to lost man Lake today(July 4,2017) starting at the higher trailhead- via Independence Lake. there was some snow but nothing to stop the hike. the snow is melting quickly and I highly recommend this hike. one of the great advantages of starting this hike from the upper Trailhead is that you start above tree line so the views are spectacular right from the start.

Beautiful hike through many different terrains. Beautiful sights and some challenging climbs.

We were going to do the Lost Man Loop from Upper to Lower but had heard that there was still a large soft snow field on the Lower Lost Man side of Lost Man Pass so we opted for the out and back from Lower Lost Man to The South Fork Pass Trail junction. The trail meanders gradually uphill along the creek and through pine forests until the approach to junction at which point it gets significantly steeper. The trail was clear but muddy in places. Gorgeous day and gorgeous views. 7/9/17.

Lost Man Trail undeniably lived up to its name for us, as we certainly lost the trail on more than one occasion. Having completed the full "loop" but a few days ago, starting at the Independence Lake trailhead and hiking down to Lost Man Campground, I can definitely say it was a hike worthy of our effort. Coming from our direction, the ascent to the pass was gradual and pleasant, full of amazing valley views and a fun brush with a bit of snowfield to cross. Upon reaching the pass, we were rewarded with a fantastic view of both sides and also met with the sight of the largest snowfield yet. Rock scrambling, post holing, and deep snow for miles gave way to muddy trails and soggy ground once in the valley. Sadly, wildlife sightings were not a part of this hike, but it was a fantastically rewarding trip all the same.

Thursday, May 25, 2017

My favorite! Especially at the peak of wildflower season, July-ish! You get a bit if everything on Lost Man: High elevation hiking and views, waterfalls, streams, flowers, forest, and you can even climb rocks, Ha! Really beautiful. There are a few different ways to hike this trail. If you are a group of 2 or more you can park one car at the bottom trailhead and then drive up to the top trailhead and hike down the trail. You can do the flip of that and hike up from the bottom, or you can take one car and hike it as a "loop" which requires a 4-mile hike on hwy 82 to get back to your car. My favorite way is to hike down from the top trailhead (and have 2 cars).

Monday, August 15, 2016

Gorgeous hike above treeline. Recommend taking hiking sticks as there are a few places where you'll need extra balance. Also recommend taking gloves, hat, raingear and puffy. We went on August 13, 2016 and it snowed on us! We went all the way to the top (13,000) but the weather changed and we decided to head back down. We started at the Linkins trailhead.

Wednesday, July 27, 2016

One of my favorite hikes, beautiful valley and nice uphill hike to the saddle overlooking the lake. 2 hours up. Usually very windy at the top and can be a little cold, so take a light jacket. The entire loop from lower Lost Man to Upper, or also the other way is a great full day hike.

Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Breathtaking views, but only made it to Independence Lake due to snow on 6/26/16. It's still worth the trek to Independence Lake. Looking forward to doing it again!

Sunday, October 18, 2015

Snow up high in July!!

Friday, August 14, 2015

One of my favorites! The wildflowers are gorgeous and the lake at the top was incredible. My dogs loved cooling off in it...so did my feet :)

Sunday, July 12, 2015

Amazing hike with gorgeous views! Lots of snow to be found around Lost Man lake, be prepared to get your shoes wet!

Sunday, March 23, 2014

An awesome trail that starts at the first hairpen curve on the west side of Independence Pass, at timberline.On the hike you pass Independence Lake, go over a saddle and down to Lost Man Lake. Both lakes have brook trout in them. The most scenic part of the hike is over in my opinion, but you can hike all the way to Lost Man Res. and campground if you have someone to meet you.