Lost Lakes - Devils Causeway

Lost Lakes - Devils Causeway is a 10.1 mile loop trail located near Yampa, Colorado that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is best used from July until September.

Drive to Yampa and turn at the sign for the "business district." Drive through town to Highway 7. A sign here tells visitors Stillwater Reservoir is 17 miles. You'll drive on a paved road, then a bumpy dirt road to Stillwater Reservoir at the end of the road. Use the turn around at the end of the road and find a parking space.

15 minutes ago

It is a long hike and the end gets steep. Very enjoyable!

Hiked to and across the causeway, then back in July. The causeway was so amazing and fun to cross. Makes for fun pictures too! There were a lot of mosquitos in the first half of the hike up, in the woods. Still worth it!

Actually the best hike ever. One of the most amazing views I've ever seen and what a thrill it is crossing the causeway.

Tons of mosquitoes, difficult hike, no facilities. I wouldnt reccomend it.

This hike is awesome. Loved the varying terrain. I was worried about crossing the causeway, but found it doable for all skill levels. I was still nervous, but it was not as bad as I anticipated. Hiking on the flat tops was great with great views.

It's 6 miles if you hike up to the devils causeway and back, instead of doing the full loop if your short on time like I was. Quite easy at first, than gets pretty steep but the views are phenomenal. I crawled on all fours over the causeway, someone on the trail told me that I have a 'healthy fear' of heights. Lots of wildlife and people that were hiking the trail, camping on road to trail. It is busy during summer but overall a terrific trail, the flat top mountains are a sight to see, and the devils causeway is a great mental/physical challenge for any hiker.

Crazy awesome!
Steep and narrow edges.
Beauties views

Great hike! Just finished this 6.2 mile hike in 2.5 hours. Pretty easy hike until the last climb to get to the top of the ridge. Once at the top you'll have an awesome view of the surrounding mountains and the valleys in between them. If you dislike heights this is a good hike to face your fear as its not to steep of a climb. If you're in the area don't hesitate to do it! Also bring a camera!

I do a variation of this hike where I drop over the first ridge and spend a few days exploring the valley below. Then I climb up the "Chinese Wall" on the north trail and navigate along the rim back towards the causeway. After crossing the causeway I make my way back to the parking lot. It's about a 22-24 mile loop and makes for a great 2-3 day getaway. Plenty of lakes along the way and a great fishing hole at West Lost Lake.

Wednesday, May 25, 2016