Lost Lakes - Devils Causeway

Lost Lakes - Devils Causeway is a 10.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Yampa, Colorado that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from July until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Drive to Yampa and turn at the sign for the "business district." Drive through town to Highway 7. A sign here tells visitors Stillwater Reservoir is 17 miles. You'll drive on a paved road, then a bumpy dirt road to Stillwater Reservoir at the end of the road. Use the turn around at the end of the road and find a parking space.

Great hike. Garmin has it at 10.7 miles. Starting to get a little windy and cool. Make sure you start early because by noon rain clouds and lightning develop. It took us roughly 5 1/2 hours to do the round trip with stops and lunch. It is approximately an hour and a half drive to trail head from Steamboat Springs. Elk hunting season has started so be aware this is a heavily hunted area and you may want to avoid it during rifle season.

Challenging first half of the hike and the causeway is a bit scary but it's all well worth it!

Great hike. Great view. Great for prepping for narrow bridges, in my case Angels Landing in Zion next week :) I only did thru the causeway and back which was around 6 miles + round trip. No protection from lightening/storms, make sure you weather watch. Relatively easy/moderate hike, until the last 1.8ish miles which is up up up. Lots of sheep on the trail, so if you have dogs, be sure to leash up, the herding dogs are very vocal. More info, this is the best website:
There are no real signs, so please remember to stay right at both forks to complete the loop

I highly recommend this hike for the diversity of the landscapes you get to see along the way. The altitude was a little hard for me but you can take your time and enjoy the view. This was my first trip to the Flat Tops and I can't wait to go back.

Astounding hike. We did the 10 mile loop in ~6 hours, including lunch breaks and a ton of stops for us unaccustomed to the altitude. the hike to DC was demanding but beautiful. the causeway itself was maybe the most terrifying thing I've ever done, but the feeling you get afterwards is incredible. The back 6 miles are incredible and easy, and you're rewarded with some solitude after the DC crossing. can't recommend it enough

Such a great experience! Scary crossing the causeway, but an adrenaline rush for sure. Definitely longer than 10.1 miles. We logged nearly 14 miles for this trail.

Just hiked up to the devils causeway and back down last weekend. Mosquitos weren't bad at all, flys were more bothersome. Got up and down in 2hr 40min. Unique hike

I completed this loop on July 13, 2017 in just under 6 hours with lots of photo stops and rest breaks. Spectacular hike with varied terrain and amazing profusion of wildflowers on the lower portions. I started at the Stillwater Reservoir TH and went right past Little Causeway Lake up to the Devils Causeway (DC). I am a fit and experienced hiker and rate the ascent up DC as one of the most physically demanding I've experienced - due to steepness and altitude - but absolutely worth the effort. The top of the approach to DC has snow banks covering the trail in 2 spots, but they are easily traversed. Crossing the DC was fun and exhilarating - more of a mental challenge than a physical challenge, and I felt safe doing it. The vistas from the top are world class. Once across the DC and continuing the loop to connect with Bear Creek trail, I was surprised at the lovely meandering miles across the high elevation bench - basically a gentle slow descent atop one of the Flat top plateaus. You are above tree line here and fully exposed to sun/rain for a few miles. The final few miles descend into alpine pine forest and running river for a complete change of scenery. Bear Creek trail has running snowmelt on it at times and some more minor snowfield crossings - nothing difficult, just wet. NOTE that the mosquitos at the lower elevations (the first and last few miles) are brutal! Swarms and aggressive - but my deet worked great.

Beautiful country, getting a little to populated for my liking, but if u come to the flat tops it's a must do hike.

Just did this loop counter-clockwise as an overnight trip, starting at the Stillwater Reserve trailhead and going up the East Fork trail, across the Devil's Causeway, down the Chinese Wall Trail, and back up Bear River. Beautiful hike, lots of bugs, little sketchy across the Causeway but my dog and I made it across fine. From about mile 2 to mile 6 or so is above treeline and rather exposed.

It is a long hike and the end gets steep. Very enjoyable!

Tuesday, November 29, 2016

Hiked to and across the causeway, then back in July. The causeway was so amazing and fun to cross. Makes for fun pictures too! There were a lot of mosquitos in the first half of the hike up, in the woods. Still worth it!

Monday, October 03, 2016

Actually the best hike ever. One of the most amazing views I've ever seen and what a thrill it is crossing the causeway.

Monday, September 12, 2016

Tons of mosquitoes, difficult hike, no facilities. I wouldnt reccomend it.

Sunday, August 14, 2016

This hike is awesome. Loved the varying terrain. I was worried about crossing the causeway, but found it doable for all skill levels. I was still nervous, but it was not as bad as I anticipated. Hiking on the flat tops was great with great views.

Saturday, August 06, 2016

It's 6 miles if you hike up to the devils causeway and back, instead of doing the full loop if your short on time like I was. Quite easy at first, than gets pretty steep but the views are phenomenal. I crawled on all fours over the causeway, someone on the trail told me that I have a 'healthy fear' of heights. Lots of wildlife and people that were hiking the trail, camping on road to trail. It is busy during summer but overall a terrific trail, the flat top mountains are a sight to see, and the devils causeway is a great mental/physical challenge for any hiker.

Wednesday, July 13, 2016

Crazy awesome!
Steep and narrow edges.
Beauties views

Friday, July 08, 2016

Great hike! Just finished this 6.2 mile hike in 2.5 hours. Pretty easy hike until the last climb to get to the top of the ridge. Once at the top you'll have an awesome view of the surrounding mountains and the valleys in between them. If you dislike heights this is a good hike to face your fear as its not to steep of a climb. If you're in the area don't hesitate to do it! Also bring a camera!

Saturday, June 25, 2016

I do a variation of this hike where I drop over the first ridge and spend a few days exploring the valley below. Then I climb up the "Chinese Wall" on the north trail and navigate along the rim back towards the causeway. After crossing the causeway I make my way back to the parking lot. It's about a 22-24 mile loop and makes for a great 2-3 day getaway. Plenty of lakes along the way and a great fishing hole at West Lost Lake.