Lost Lake via Hessie Trail

Lost Lake via Hessie Trail is a 4.1 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Nederland, Colorado that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, camping, horses, and snowshoeing and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 4.1 miles Elevation Gain: 869 feet Route Type: Loop

Lost Lake is accessed from the Hessie Trailhead just outside the southeast boundary of the Indian Peaks Wilderness near Nederland, Colorado. From downtown Nederland, go south on Highway 72 for .5 miles to County Road 130 and make a right. You will see a sign for Eldora Ski Resort at this junction. In the summer, catch the free shuttle from the RTD Park-n-Ride in Nederland.

From where all trails took me, to the lake and back was 3.75 miles and about two hours. I did not hike around the lake but snow shoes are not required. I did it in spikes and got there early to have the lake to myself. When I got back at 10am-parking was full and so were the trails with people and dogs. Come early! There is also a cut off for a much longer hike! Can’t wait to revisit in summer.

trail very icy on the jeep trail. microspikes highly recommend. we used snowshoes and they were helpful when we were within a quarter mile of the lake.

icy

This is truly one of my favorite hikes in Nederland, and only the second time I’ve completed it in the winter. I have to say it is actually easier when there is snow. Snowshoes would have come in handy but were not necessary. Got to the trail at 6:45 am and was done by 9:30 am. Plenty of time for a Cbd-infused coffee and gf carrot cake afterward.

Trail was gorgeous. Packed which made incline easy. We chose spikes and kind of wished we had brought snowshoes to “play around” the lake. Gorgeous day. Gorgeous hike. Go early as the traffic and parking is awkward.

icy

Great trail with nice views. Get there early if you want good parking. 4 cars there at 8 and 50 by 11:30. Did not need the snowshoes but they were helpful on the way down

1st time on snowshoes. This is a fairly challenging snowshoeing trail for an old, out of shape, beginner. It's all uphill to the lake, then all downhill back, so a good practice trail for sure (always like to have the downhill for getting back). I think the ice at the beginning and then sporadically along the trail make spikes a really good idea. I started in my hunting boots but it quickly became uncomfortably slick, so I put on the snowshoes for the spikes.on the bottom on my way to the trailhead from parking. After the hike I wore them all the way back to my car. There were several places along the trail where snowshoes made sense, and as others have mentioned around the lake it's a must (although you can easily walk on or along the edge of the frozen lake). Most of the trail was well-packed snow. I passed only 4 people on my way up and down and none of them appeared to be wearing anything but hiking boots, though the one guy I talked with said some deeper snow definitely helped him on his way down. There were 4 or 5 others with snowshoes in the parking area as I was starting and finishing. I arrived around 12:30 on Thursday and parking was not a problem at all, as well as when I left, so going during the week might be the key to easy access.

Completed 1/5/20. Got there at about 9am and did not have any trouble parking, but as I was leaving people had to walk a little ways to the trail head. Snow was very packed on the trail and did not need snowshoes on the way up to lost lake. Exploring around the lake snowshoes were definitely needed.

icy

Snow was very packed, we went to snowshoe and probably could have done it without them! Still a very beautiful hike and day! Busy trail and low amount of parking. We went on a Sunday late morning. The lake was a perfect lunch spot. Total this took us 2 1/4 hrs.

icy

Did this hike new years day. The snow is fairly packed down and you can get away with just spikes. We were snowshoeing and it made it much easier, especially once you get to the lake. The parking area is also pretty tight and at times requires you to get really far to the edge if someone is passing you. Saw a few cars get stuck, so 4wd/awd is recommended.

icy

Didn’t use any but spikes would have been nice for the hike to the lake. Poles were helpful. Snowshoes were needed to get around the lake. Blazed a trail to get around.

12/27 - Trail is packed snow up to Lost Lake, the trail going to Woodland Lake is good for .75 miles and starts getting soft. Microspikes make life easier but I saw people wearing just hiking boots. Suppose to snow a bit tonight so maybe snowshoes would be ideal depending on how much snow accumulates.

Good trail conditions. Packed snow for most of the trail, with a few areas of soft, deep snow all the way to the Devils Thumb/Wilderness Lake junction.

12/19: Great hiking trail in the winter too and not crowded during the week. Snow packed on the trail but pretty deep snow immediately off trail. You can hike this with or without snowshoes. I had my dog who tends to pull a bit so I work my microspikes to have a little more traction. Road conditions up to town of Eldora were clear. Snow pack afterwards and up to parking at the top. The road gets a little narrow in some places. I had a little incident driving up the road. There was someone coming down and the snow was so deep along one of the sides that it was deceiving and I thought I could pull over. Eek! No bueno! This was actually a deep ditch and my truck got stuck. Luckily the nice gentleman in the van coming down had some track boards and a tow rope and we tried working the to get out. Also, some folks who were parked a little ways off, helped pull my truck out of the ditch. I didn’t catch their names but the van guy was Charles! Felt very fortunate that there were still a few folks on the trail that day and going to do a little post xmas shooing for some necessary truck accessories;) Great hike but just be cautious when driving up! Happy hiking! Sarah

icy

Went last week, pretty well packed down snow. Windy at the beginning. Overall good trail but more scenery in the summer.

icy

Awesome winter hike / snowshoe trail. Took our teenage kids and there was very little complaining. Challenging in some spots but overall very fun!

icy

Hiked 12/22. Trail is mostly medium pack snow, with some sections of solid ice in the first half mile as you walk along/over the river. Easily traversed with micro crampons until the lake - the loop around the lake is not very travelled and would be best with snowshoes. Did not complete the loop for that reason. Parking is along the road leading to the trailhead, and was rather busy. However since there are several trails off this trailhead, we only ran into ten or so people during the hike. Definitely coming back again, probably both in winter and summer.