Lost Lake via Hessie Trail

Lost Lake via Hessie Trail is a 4.1 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Nederland, Colorado that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, birding, horses, and snowshoeing and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Lost Lake is accessed from the Hessie Trailhead just outside the southeast boundary of the Indian Peaks Wilderness near Nederland, Colorado. From downtown Nederland, go south on Highway 72 for .5 miles to County Road 130 and make a right. You will see a sign for Eldora Ski Resort at this junction

Hiked it on Jan 13. I'd recommend that you park before the dirt road on hessie rd unless you have 4X4/high clearance vehicle. Trail is still easy to follow with snow and all. Traction is recommended. Can probably get away with good hiking shoes. Snow shoes would be a plus but not necessary.

Really beautiful hike. Good for snowshoeing after a big snow but it’s highly trafficked so it gets packed down quickly and waterproof hiking boots are enough. Tons of dogs, some off leash. Up hill the whole way to the lake and down hill the whole way back. Would definitely recommend!

Hiked June 3 2017. Last 1/3 of trail covered in snow. Loved the whole hike, lake is beautiful

Really enjoyed this hike! We wore mini spikes and that made certain parts that were pure ice much easier to deal with. Beautiful climb through the trees with a really nice ending at the lake and a perfect rock to sit on and eat a snack!

The trail is currently snow packed. The view at the lake is still pretty great. I recommended some spikes, but a couple friends did just fine in backpacking boots.

I would suggest spikes or snowshoes right now!

Really nice trail in winter! Bring spikes to help, makes it much easier to navigate. The first 1/2 mile is more exposed to wind which may make you think about turning around, but don’t! Bundle up and the rest of the trail is protected. Gorgeous mountain views and Lost Lake is really pretty- cool view of the continental divide!
Enjoy

My boyfriend and I took our two dogs up here yesterday 12/17 and it was great. The beginning of the hike to get from the street where we parked to the true trailhead was flat with very thick ice. Otherwise the trail either had packed snow or dirt, we were both fine in regular hiking boots. There was a fair amount of snow around the lake and we tried walking around it but started sinking into the snow and gave up. Overall the trail was well maintained, not very crowded, easy to follow, and not very strenuous. If you’re looking for a nice, leisurely, shorter day hike this is perfect

Super pretty hike! Trail was covered in snow and patches of ice pretty much the entire way, but my boots alone were just fine. The lake is completely frozen, which was pretty neat to see. You park about a 1/2 mile from the trail head if you don't have a high clearance vehicle and my Nissan Versa did just fine getting to the point to park. 10/10, would hike again :)

The trail is snow covered but YakTrax weren't necessary. Steady climb and beautiful destination. Will definitely do again!

A gentle, gradual hike up to the lake which is surrounded by a lot of open area to post up for lunch. Spikes will make the slippery, snow-packed trail easier to navigate. The trailhead is easy to find and has endless parking alongside the road. The trail was almost empty for our climb up around 9:30 but packed on our walk down around noon - having the lake all to yourself is worth the early hike.

Very scenic, easy hike and it was especially beautiful with a bit of snow. The trail was lightly snow packed and slick in some areas. Would recommend microspikes or something with good traction right now.

Just truly beautiful!

Lost lake is a nice, short winter hike. The trail was snow covered and had some ice but I didn’t need to resort to yak traks. The lake was fully frozen and the trail around the lake was tricky to follow given the snowfall.

Nice hike, but suppppperrr icy. I went with 2 other girls and 2 dogs, and all of us took a spill at one point. I definitely suggest yak traks or something of the like.

Winter wonderland and virtually nobody on the trail the day I hiked. I want to go an overnight there in summer!

Trail is still in pretty decent condition, although towards the top it’s very icy... I brought my Yaktrax and they helped a lot!

Trail is mostly snow/ice covered so bring shoe spikes, there is a open stretch of about a quarter mile with no snow at the beginning. The higher you go the more snow, any trails passed the Lost Lake would require snowshoes. But it’s a fun nice trail. I did a couple of short jogs up other trails.

Great hike today. Good views. A little slick on the way down. But overall was great. A few more weeks and riding will be nice at eldora

Great hike! Mountain views, open meadows, waterfalls and a beautiful lake at the end! Trail was snowy and slushy at the top! Enjoyed our day.