Wigwam, McCurdy and Brookside McCurdy Trail is a 20 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Jefferson, Colorado that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, camping, nature trips, and backpacking and is best used from August until September.

Completed this trail going clockwise from Lost Park Campground

Day 1: I took off down Wigam Trail 609 and split south to follow lost creek. Starts out as grasslands with marshes around until you first see the creek. All around the creek is a beautiful old growth pine forest. Magical campsites were all over the place here!

It was easy going until around mile 4 where the canyon narrows and boulders fill the creek bed. Lots of scrambling and climbing was required here. The trail was difficult to follow at points simply because there was nothing to do besides sig-zag down the creek by hoping across boulders.

I lost the trail at mile 6 where it turns 90 degrees up a very steep hill to go around the canyon. There is a trail that goes around some huge boulders that cover the entire creekbed. I mistakenly followed this instead instead of up and out. This adventure unknowingly off trail led to a beautiful little campsite right next to the creek where I stopped for the night. No need to worry about losing the trail until the end since it's marked by cairns throughout

Day 2: I had to backtrack and find the trail again. Following Muccurdy trail uphill across many switchbacks was extremely tiring and everyone I passed on the trail was going the other direction. This section of trail is mostly aspen and young pine. Huffing and puffing as a lowlander not used to the altitude I made it up to the creek again, where old growth pine & large aspens created groves intermixing with the marshy brambles not far off. Plenty of great campsites along the creek just before the junction onto Brookside Mccurdy trail.

Day 3: The Brookside Mccurdy trail felt the same as the day before but with more aspens and a much better view of the canyon I had climbed out of. Sunrise here was beautiful

Cresting Mccurdy mountain there was a sudden change to an alpine biome with spectacular views south and west! The rest of the trail west to Bison mountain was a series of ridge-lines with interment marshes in the gulch. Easy going compared to the uphill switchbacks on day two, and much more wildlife! I surprised a herd of dear 25ft away, and ran into a huge moose on the trail

After reaching the Bison Mountain peak, a series of very gravely switchbacks began on the way down. It begins to follow the creek through the marshes keeping to the edge of a pine forest with dead logs all over the place. The marshes are beautiful with a few good campsites around in the trees that overlook the entire area. This section of trail was easy going

I recommend a hiking pole/stick for the lost creek bouldering, and also for the gravely switchbacks where I nearly slipped a few times even with a stick.

As one reviewer pointed out, the downhill section is very steep around mile 4-6. Having a 60L pack made it difficult at points, but I would still go clockwise if I did it again as my knees are still young and can take the load. Going uphill would have taken me twice as long along this section... if you are worried about this steep downhill the rest of the trail is probably easier going counter clockwise!

All my pictures are from the southbound lost creek trail canyon, miles 4-6

I was on a different loop, but started on this trail around mile 6 on this map. It was so steep at one part that we had to turn around. We had backpacking backpacks so it was also harder to go downhill at such a steep gradient. Would also note that there is a lot of bouldering and the river is hidden under the boulders at that point (mile 7 or so).

Saturday, August 26, 2017