Longs Peak Trail

Longs Peak Trail is a 13.6 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Estes Park, Colorado that features a lake and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Horses are also able to use this trail.

ice climbing

rock climbing

skiing

snowboarding

Give yourself plenty of time to summit! Most people take around 14 hours to complete this. It has a history of being a very electric (lightning) mountain. The winds can be very strong at the keyhole, yet once you pass through a little ways, they become more gentle. Adding Chasm Lake onto this can be a nice reward, offering perspective as to the peak you just summited.

I've been wanting to do this hike since I was a kid, and finally got the chance to do it. We got started around 2:30am and lucked out with great weather for the most part - except for a small amount of hail while halfway up the trough. This hike is challenging, but definitely attainable if you're in decent shape and can handle some scrambling and exposure. Can't beat the feeling of making it to the summit.

Yesterday; amazing! Some hail in the afternoon, but a must to hike.

Summited on 8/31 after spending the night at the Boulder Field. My partner and I lucked out and had incredible weather for the hike up to camp and our summit day. It was a Thursday and we managed to snag the entire summit to ourselves for around 5 minutes. We ended up only seeing one other person at the top!

Do not under estimate this hike. Take lots of high energy snacks and at least 3L of water. Dress in layers! It feels incredible to make it to the top but it feels twice as good to make it back to your car. Be prepared to turn around if you feel uncomfortable once past the Keyhole. Climbing Longs is more of a sense of accomplishment than anything. There are plenty of safer hikes with much better views throughout the park. I HIGHLY recommend Mt. Ida if you think Longs isn't right for you!

A good mix for a class 3 14er. It has the boulder field to the keyhole. The ledge and narrows for some excitement. The physically demanding trough (watch out for rocks from climbers above - possibly helmet recommended or keep your ears open for people screaming rock) and the final push. Overall a nice class 3 experience. We did start at 2 am and about a dozen car parks spaces were open.

I summited Long's Peak on August 30th. Great physical challenge. Left at 2:45 am and took just over 7 hours to the summit. Went on a Wednesday and it wasn't too crowded. It rained a bit on my descent when I was at the ledges. The rocks became VERY slick and dangerous. I had to use my treking poles and slow down considerably until things dried up. You need to be in good shape and not easily scared for this climb. I saw a few people struggling with fear and a few turn back at the high exposure spots past the Keyhole. I read and followed the tips and training recommendations in Paul Nesbit's book on Long's Peak and was very well prepared. I am 50 years old and one of the oldest on the trail when I went.

This is a fun and beautiful climb. It's a hike for the first 5.5-6 miles, but prepared to scramble ("climb") and know your limits once you reach the Keyhole and beyond. Descent was harder for me because apparently I have the balance of a toddler learning to walk and the ankles of Gumby. C'est la vie.

Wow! Quite the hike! Busy holiday weekend. Crowded summit. Even at 4AM had to park a half mile down the road. No wind, no clouds.

Very fun and Long trail. Took me 8.5 hours and had a great time.

Awesome! We lucked out and had wonderful weather. The trail description was perfect. A nice, tough trail with spectacular views. Some class 3 scrambling to be prepared for too. My Garmin GPS said it was 16.5 miles.

This mountain is a monster. Very difficult but totally worth it. Make sure the weather and trail conditions are perfect.