Longs Peak Trail

Longs Peak Trail is a 13.1 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Estes Park, Colorado that features a lake and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Horses are also able to use this trail.

rock climbing

skiing

Longs Peak is Colorado's northernmost fourteener in the northern Front Range of the Rocky Mountains and one of the most accessible to the Denver area. Located in Rocky Mountain National Park, just under 10 miles southwest of Estes Park, Longs Peak is the highest point in Boulder County at 14,259 feet. This is a strenuous hike with difficult terrain that should not be underestimated. This is a very popular alpine trail with the Keyhole route attracting several thousand climbers during the summer season. There are several trailheads, but most routes and variations start from the Ranger Station at Longs Peak Trailhead and start on East Longs Peak Trail. You will begin the hike through a dense forest until you reach a transition zone past the treeline, at which point you Lady Washington and Longs Peak will come into sight. You will eventually reach Chasm Lake Trail junction at which point you will traverse Lady Washington as you head toward the Boulder Field. You will soon reach Granite Pass and the North Longs Peak Trail junction. The maintained forest hiking trail ends at the Boulder Field 6 miles from the trailhead. At this point hikers and climbers can scramble over loose rocks and boulders to get to the backcountry campsites and Keyhole feature. It's close to one mile from the Keyhole to the summit. The keyhole route is a dangerous and technical section of the trail with narrow ledges and falling rock. Before visiting, look at the weather forecast for higher elevations as the weather conditions change very quickly and afternoon thunderstorms arrive without warning. Winter conditions usually take over in the high country of Rocky Mountain National Park in September and often persist through June. You may also want to check with a park ranger before heading out on your trip. This is a popular route and parking is limited. Since it is a long day hike, it is recommended to arrive at the trailhead early. Be mindful of altitude sickness, as it is a quick ascent.

Just summit today. Camped at Boulderfield and went up to summit in the morning. Great day.

Hiked 6/16/18. Agree—summer conditions base to summit. Minimal snow patches that are easily avoided. No crampons or ice ax necessary. Started at 3:00 AM, got back to the base ranger station at 12:00 noon. Parking lot wasn’t full, but I did see a number of other cars when I arrived. First 5 miles are a stroll with a gentle incline, last 2 (boulder field and beyond) are no joke.

I agree with Nazanin Kalani, clear to the top. recommend a good set of lungs.

Summer conditions - minimal snow that can be avoided easily all the way to the summit. Anything past the Keyhole is pretty technical and should only be attempted by experienced hikers!

This is a great hike! Don’t underestimate it though! It is very strenuous and is very long. I hiked it 6/10/18 and it was beautiful but very hard. We actually didn’t summit to the peak because the winds were so bad at the key hole. The ranger at the bottom said that was a smart move because people will hike it when it’s windy like that and that’s how they get hurt or killed. I am planning on attending it again ASAP and this time submitting!

Climbed Longs 7-13-17. We stayed at the Boulder Fields overnight even though we had already summited. Gorgeous views the entire way. The real work begins at the key hole, and it is no joke. Great climb! We had attempted the year prior and were turned away at the key hole by wicked weather. Glad to capture it this time.

Definitely underestimated this one as many people do. Hardest 14er I have ever done but by far the most rewarding one. Dont hike this if you arent well prepared and maybe do a few more 14ers beforehand

Hiked/climbed Longs Peak back in 2013 and it was by far the best 14’er accomplishment for me so far. It’s a long day hike of some 15 miles RT and we started at 2:30 a.m. to get up and back down before the afternoon storms hit. I’m planning to do this again soon. An epic hike for sure.

Hiked Longs Peak many years ago; didn't realize at the time how difficult it was. Incredibly beautiful and well worth it, but make sure you are prepared and in great shape.

One of the great peaks to hike, but is a serious undertaking, not for inexperienced beginners. Bad weather can blow up on the nicest of days. I've been in snow flurries in July several times. It is a long hike and a 3-4 am start is important.

So much fun!

Took off on impulse in early March with all the snow. The first hour and a half had no views at all. After you cross the first major draw and head up the next ridge you get a glimpse of the valleys below and Mt. Lady Washington and Longs Peak above. It was truly breathtaking. Keep an eye on the weather. We stopped there as clouds were coming in and still got snowed on big. Made it out in the nick of time. Will definitely be back with camping gear this summer to dominate the summit.

Made it as far as the Keyhole in July 2016 before being turned around by freezing rain and snow. Challenging hike with great views. Will be back to complete the summit of this iconic peak.

Beautiful trail between a forest path. My family and I went up late around 2:30pm on January 20th, so we only hiked about 2 miles towards Eugenia Mine. We took beautiful pictures and saw many footprints in the snow but no wildlife other than a little squirrel. We definitely plan on going back and hiking farther.

Just completed it a couple days ago. It’s a long and hard trail. But the summit is worth it. Started at 4am to ensure the appropriate time. Climb on!

This can be an amazing hike but is difficult. Prepare yourself for the elevation and pay attention to the weather.

Love this trail. Haven’t done it since September. Takes a lot of endurance and you have to be ready for the exposure on ledges with big drop offs. If you take your time you’ll be ok but I would not do this hike as your first 14er and definitely not in winter. Tried to go do chasm lake today but ended up getting stuck on longs peak road and had to be pulled out. No reviews have mentioned the the road yet so I wanted to leave a review letting people know that if you don’t have 4 wheel drive do not drive up the road in winter as it doesn’t get plowed. I drive a Nissan Versa and should have known better. Jeeps we’re getting stuck going up the road. Stay safe

This is a very difficult hike for a novice. Do not attempt this hike if you are afraid of heights..unless you're wanting to fully immerse yourself in the exact fear you want to conquer.

hard but worthy.

I've been wanting to do this hike since I was a kid, and finally got the chance to do it. We got started around 2:30am and lucked out with great weather for the most part - except for a small amount of hail while halfway up the trough. This hike is challenging, but definitely attainable if you're in decent shape and can handle some scrambling and exposure. Can't beat the feeling of making it to the summit.

Yesterday; amazing! Some hail in the afternoon, but a must to hike.

Summited on 8/31 after spending the night at the Boulder Field. My partner and I lucked out and had incredible weather for the hike up to camp and our summit day. It was a Thursday and we managed to snag the entire summit to ourselves for around 5 minutes. We ended up only seeing one other person at the top!

Do not under estimate this hike. Take lots of high energy snacks and at least 3L of water. Dress in layers! It feels incredible to make it to the top but it feels twice as good to make it back to your car. Be prepared to turn around if you feel uncomfortable once past the Keyhole. Climbing Longs is more of a sense of accomplishment than anything. There are plenty of safer hikes with much better views throughout the park. I HIGHLY recommend Mt. Ida if you think Longs isn't right for you!

A good mix for a class 3 14er. It has the boulder field to the keyhole. The ledge and narrows for some excitement. The physically demanding trough (watch out for rocks from climbers above - possibly helmet recommended or keep your ears open for people screaming rock) and the final push. Overall a nice class 3 experience. We did start at 2 am and about a dozen car parks spaces were open.

I summited Long's Peak on August 30th. Great physical challenge. Left at 2:45 am and took just over 7 hours to the summit. Went on a Wednesday and it wasn't too crowded. It rained a bit on my descent when I was at the ledges. The rocks became VERY slick and dangerous. I had to use my treking poles and slow down considerably until things dried up. You need to be in good shape and not easily scared for this climb. I saw a few people struggling with fear and a few turn back at the high exposure spots past the Keyhole. I read and followed the tips and training recommendations in Paul Nesbit's book on Long's Peak and was very well prepared. I am 50 years old and one of the oldest on the trail when I went.

This is a fun and beautiful climb. It's a hike for the first 5.5-6 miles, but prepared to scramble ("climb") and know your limits once you reach the Keyhole and beyond. Descent was harder for me because apparently I have the balance of a toddler learning to walk and the ankles of Gumby. C'est la vie.

Wow! Quite the hike! Busy holiday weekend. Crowded summit. Even at 4AM had to park a half mile down the road. No wind, no clouds.

Very fun and Long trail. Took me 8.5 hours and had a great time.

Awesome! We lucked out and had wonderful weather. The trail description was perfect. A nice, tough trail with spectacular views. Some class 3 scrambling to be prepared for too. My Garmin GPS said it was 16.5 miles.

This mountain is a monster. Very difficult but totally worth it. Make sure the weather and trail conditions are perfect.

Simply amazing hike. This was my first 14er and I'm stoked that I chose Longs for many reasons.. The challenge.. The unparalleled views, and the gratification you feel at the summit after the fun, yet kind of scary ha, scramble up. This hike was very strenuous but totally worth it! I completed the whole trip in about 10 hours. We hit the trail at 2:30 am (which was a perfect time) there was only 2 more open spots left in the TH lot so go early!